Thursday, October 4, 2012

Immortal Love by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban: Interview and Excerpt

 


 

 

Meet Becquer.

He's handsome, well-read, and can get you that book contract you always dreamed.
Never mind that he's also an immortal and lives on human blood.
What would that matter?
Your relationship is strictly business.
Or so you thought.
Until Becquer's life is threatened, and you discover that walking away is not an option,
Because he was hurt while protecting your son,
Because you are the only one who can save him now,
Because you care for him.
Welcome to Becquer's world.
Please, come inside. He's waiting for you.
 



(I) stopped, suddenly aware of the total silence around us. Everyone, I realized with a start, was frozen in place, as if they were actors in a movie I had paused by mistake.

“What happened?”

“Beatriz.” Bécquer pointed at the door where a woman in a smart suit stood facing us. “My personal secretary. She found me.”

My stomach hurting as if the coffee I’d just swallowed had turned to ice, I looked from the woman back to him, and then again around us, taking in the impossible stillness of the place.

“Who are you?” I asked, my voice broken with fear.

Bécquer sighed and raised his hands in a gesture of surrender.

“I’m Bécquer,” he said. “Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer.”

He pronounced the name slowly, his eyes on mine, and I knew he wasn’t lying. Yet the truth was unacceptable.

“You may remember me from your Spanish classes,” he continued. “Literatura it was called back then, if I’m not mistaken.”

“That’s impossible.”

I stood so abruptly my chair crashed to the floor. I remembered Bécquer, all right. He was the Spanish writer whose poems of unrequited love I’d memorized when I was thirteen, as every other Spanish girl, before and after me, has done the first time a clueless boy breaks her heart. Yes. I remembered Bécquer. But Bécquer…

“Bécquer is dead. He died long ago,” I said louder than I had intended, my fear, now a wave of panic that threatened to swallow me.

He nodded, nonchalant, a smile playing on his lips as though he was pleased that I remembered him. “In eighteen seventy to be exact. Only, I didn’t really die. I just stopped being human.”

 

Thank you so much, Laurie, for having me today in your blog. It was a pleasure answering your questions.
 

Thank you Carmen!  I am so happy for this chance to learn more about you. First, why not introduce yourself to our readers, please.
 

My name is Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban and I am originally from Spain. That’s why I have two last names. The first Ferreiro is my father family’s, Esteban my mother’s.
 

In Spain you keep your maiden name even after you get married.
 

I know my name’s a mouthful, but, somehow, it feels right, it gives me roots. And I do need roots for I have been an expatriate for almost twenty years.
 

Describe your current release in two sentences

Immortal Love is a paranormal story about a writer and her immortal agent who happens to be a charismatic, almost two centuries old Spanish poet.
 

In two sentences:

Immortal Love is the story of a writer looking for an agent while trying to survive her two smarty teenagers. So desperate is she that she signs with Bécquer, an impossibly good looking man with a devilish smile, even though she knows he is an immortal that lives on human blood and that his secretary, and maybe lover, wants her out of the deal. 

Do you write in a particular genre or do you mix genres?

I mix genres, definitely.
 

At first sight, my novels are what I call “realistic fantasy”, meaning there is a fantastic element in the story, but once that fantastic element is accepted all the other rules of reality apply.
 

For instance my YA novel (Two Moon Princess (Tanglewood Press, 2007) is a fantasy because it takes place in a parallel medieval world and in modern day California. But apart from the medieval setting and the possibility to travel between worlds, the laws of physics apply in full.

 
Immortal Love (Crimson Romance, September 2012) takes place in current times. The fantastic element here is the existence of an immortal race alongside us humans.
 

Another element always present in my novels is a romantic relationship between the protagonists. This love story creates tension and drives the story without overwhelming it.

 
What’s been the most challenging part of writing for you?

I am a storyteller. I write because I have a story I want to tell.

 
To create compelling characters and gripping storylines is my biggest challenge as a writer.

 
It’s also my favorite part. I love plotting. That’s why I offer my services as an editor at http://www.writeeditpublish.com , because I love to help other writers to reach the full potential of their stories.

 
What career fields have you worked in?

Once upon a time I was a biologist and, after getting my Ph.D. in Biology, worked as a researcher.
 

Currently I’m both a technical and a fiction writer and a translator (English into Spanish).

I’m also a fiction editor, a book doctor if you wish.
 

What can you tell us about your next project?

I’m working on the story of how Becquer, my protagonist in Immortal Love, became immortal. So far I have been doing research for, although I know the fictional story of his life, Becquer was a real person and I need to learn as much as I can about him and his time (nineteenth century Spain) to make the story both fantastic and real.
 

Becquer was a wonderful writer and poet. Even if he wrote in Spanish and the musicality of his poems is somehow lost in translation, enough remains to captivate the reader even in English.

 
Please click HERE if you wish to read one of his Rhymes. 

 
What is your favorite TV show?

As you may have noticed I love fantastic worlds. I also love fairy tales and complex stories. So, not surprisingly my favorite show on TV right now is Once Upon a Time.
 

In case you haven’t seen it, and I do recommend you do, Once Upon a Time is a retelling/a continuation of sorts of Snow White with characters from other beloved fairy tales (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Rumplestiltskin) and children stories (Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland) added to the mix.
 

It is a wonderfully crafted story with the appropriate amount of romance and adventure, and is perfectly cast. Who can ask for more?

 
I agree with you! It’s “must see” TV for me, too!  Well, that’s it from me for now.  Thanks so much!

 



 

Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban was born in Galicia (northern Spain) and went to college in Madrid, where she finished her Ph.D. in Biology. For the next ten years, she worked as a researcher both in Madrid and at the University of Davis in California.
 

Her Young Adult novel Two Moon Princess, (the story of a discontented medieval princess, eager to live life on her own terms, who lands in modern day California) was published in 2007 by Tanglewood Press.
 

Ginger Knowlton from Curtis Brown Ltd represents her YA novels.
 

Immortal Love, a paranormal romance, (Crimson Romance, September 17, 2012) follows the author’s adventures in search of a literary agent in a contemporary alternate world where the late Spanish poets Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer and Federico García Lorca are immortals. The Spanish version, Bécquer eterno, was included in the Exhibit, Bécquer tan Cerca... A través del Arte (Sevilla, May-June 2012). 
 

Currently, she lives in Pennsylvania as a freelance writer, editor and translator. 
 

You can visit her at her blog: http://carmenferreiroesteban.wordpress.com/ or at her website: www.carmenferreiroesteban.com
 
 
For information about her writing/editing/translating services, please go to www.WriteEditPublish.com
 
 
Blog  |  Twitter
 

 
Enter for a chance to win a digital copy of Immortal Love.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the author on Twitter for another Bonus.
This giveaway ends October 27th 11:59 PM Central Time.
 
 

3 comments:

erlessard said...

I love the cover and great interview. I haven't checked out Once Upon a Time but I'm hoping to catch up on the series over the holidays.

Lola said...

I love the concept of bringing the great Spanish writer into our century and yes, I did read him in my study of Literatura.

mckaykelly said...

Great interview, looks like an awesome read!!