Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Dark Light of Day by Jill Archer: Interview & Excerpt; Bewitching Tour Stop



Dark Light of Day
Noon Onyx Book #1
By Jill Archer 
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Ace
ISBN: 978-0-425-25715-9
Number of pages: 384
Word Count: 123,000

Book Description: 

Armageddon is over. The demons won. And yet somehow…the world has continued. Survivors worship patron demons under a draconian system of tributes and rules. These laws keep the demons from warring among themselves, the world from slipping back into chaos. 
Noon Onyx grew up on the banks of the river Lethe, daughter of a prominent politician, and a descendant of Lucifer’s warlords. Noon has a secret—she was born with waning magic, the dark, destructive, fiery power that is used to control demons and maintain the delicate peace among them. But a woman with waning magic is unheard of and some will consider her an abomination. 
Noon is summoned to attend St. Lucifer’s, a school of demon law. She must decide whether to declare her powers there…or attempt to continue hiding them, knowing the price for doing so may be death. And once she meets the forbiddingly powerful Ari Carmine—who suspects Noon is harboring magic as deadly as his own—Noon realizes there may be more at stake than just her life.

Failing is not an option...


“I’ve been watching you, wondering, waiting to see where you’d end up. After all, there are other demon law schools,” Seknecus said, making a moue of distaste that made it clear exactly what he thought of them. “But I was happy to see that you chose St. Lucifer’s.”
Technically my mother chose St. Lucifer’s . . . But there seemed no reason to interrupt just to clarify that bit of misinformation. Seknecus wandered around the room, picking through papers, flipping open and quickly shutting the front covers of various leather-bound books, never meeting my eye. I had no doubt, however, that his attention was fully focused on me.
“So, you see, seeing your name on my List wasn’t exactly a surprise, although it appeared much later than I would have liked.”
He did look at me then, with a frown of disapproval. I did my best to look expressionless because none seemed appropriate. It wouldn’t do to look amused, bored or, Luck forbid, rebellious. Seknecus stared at me with narrowed eyes and then went back to wandering.
“You’ve got some catching up to do,” he said, addressing a copy of Sin and Sanction: Codification & Case Law. “It doesn’t matter why or what excuses you’ve got for yourself. You will be held to the same standards as everyone else, regardless of whose daughter you are. And you’ve missed a lot of class already.”
I opened my mouth to protest, but he cut me off with a wave.
“Manipulation class,” he clarified. “You’re going to have to work ten times as hard as everyone else just to pass. Quintus Rochester doesn’t go easy on students and he’s likely to see your absence during the early part of the semester as a challenge. You know, failing is not an option. Not if you want to live.”


Welcome Jill! Thanks for stopping by today and agreeing to answer a few of my questions. :)Let's start by finding out what you watch.  What are your favorite TV shows?


My two recent favorites are Game of Thrones (HBO's epic fantasy series based on George R.R. Martin's bestselling books) and Dance Academy (Australian teen drama set at Sydney's National Dance Academy). It's true that those two shows are nothing alike, but together they contain many of the story elements I adore (elements which can also be found in my debut novel, Dark Light of Day): an intricately imagined fantasy world, emotional drama among strongly drawn characters, and a boarding school setting.


What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?


Everyone in my family has been incredibly supportive. Although most of them read in genres other than what I write (various family members read police procedurals, spy thrillers, historical fiction, and literature), they've really embraced the idea of Dark Light of Day and the Noon Onyx series (which is a mix of other genres: fantasy, romance, mystery, post-apocalyptic, a bit of legal fiction and even "new adult").


Does your significant other read your stuff?


No. But I'm laughing as I type because he's my biggest supporter (even if he'll never be my biggest fan). My husband's more of a doer than a reader. We share other interests (movies, outdoorsy activities, and a love of day trips). That said, he is reading Ernest Cline's Ready Player One right now at my suggestion and loving it. I've also discussed the premise, plot, characters, and scenes in Dark Light of Day with him so, of course, he knows what the story's about.


How do you describe your writing style?

Fairly detailed and somewhat youthful. I love to immerse myself in the world of a story and I think my own writing reflects that. At the same time, I love quirky, irreverent, slightly offbeat stories. I'm not saying Dark Light of Day is any of those things, but because the tone and themes of the book can be a bit heavy at times, I wanted to counter-balance them with a lighter voice. I take the book seriously... but not too seriously. It's meant to be entertainment.


How do you react to a bad review of your book?


Ignore it. Every reader is entitled to their own opinion. Not every book is for every reader. Some bad reviews are simply a case of reader surprise. The book turned out to be something other than what they thought it would be. The only good way to react to those as an author is to try to tweak your message to future readers so that they can make a more informed choice about whether the book might be right for them. No author wants a reader to have buyer's remorse. We want our readers to love our books.


(I also want to add here that I've very much appreciated some of the objective, mixed reviews of my work. Those make you think. As an author, you're not necessarily going to start writing future work based on the feedback contained in one critical review – there lies the way to madness – but no one writes in a vacuum. The interpretation of a work can be almost as fascinating as the work itself.)


Use no more than two sentences. Why should we read your book?


Dark Light of Day is the story of a 21 year old post-grad magic user who must choose between death and training to be a demon peacekeeper. The story would appeal to readers who like fantasy set in richly detailed worlds told in a youthful, first person voice.


Entice us, what future projects are you considering?


Dark Light of Day is the first book in the Noon Onyx series. Future books will focus on new assignments, new adventures, and new adversaries. The second book is due out May 28, 2013. Later this fall I'll be sharing the new cover, new title, and new blurb. For now, I can share that  in book #2 Noon is given her first field assignment and she'll be shipped off to one of Halja's remote outposts. Stay tuned for more details...


Thank you, Laurie, for interviewing me and allowing me to share more about Dark Light of Day and Noon Onyx with your readers.


Raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Jill earned a bachelor of science from Penn State University and later moved to Baltimore to attend the University of Baltimore School of Law, where she graduated magna cum laude. She went on to practice law as a “dirt lawyer” for ten years, specializing in real estate law, municipal development, commercial leasing, and anything involving exceedingly lengthy legalese-like contractual monstrosities. 

Jill now lives in rural Maryland with her two children and husband, who is a recreational pilot. Weekends are often spent flying around in the family’s small Cessna, visiting tiny un-towered airfields and other local points of interest.

Website  |  Blog  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads


October 30 Interview
Laurie's Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews

October 29 Review and promo
V's Book Life

October 31 Interview and review
Keeping Up With The Rheinlander's

November 1 Guest blog

• $10 eGift Card (either Amazon or Barnes & Noble, winner's choice) to be chosen from all entries  
• $10 eGift Card (either Amazon or Barnes & Noble, winner's choice) to the person who brings the most people to the party. To enter to win this one, tell a friend about the tour (someone who hasn't yet commented). You'll be entered to win when your friend stops by at any spot on the tour and tells us that you told them about the tour. If you were referred by someone enter your friend's name in the referral area below.
3 signed copies of Dark Light of Day to the blog tour followers who visit the most stops. US ONLY

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Bewitching Banner


NatashaMay said...

Well, if demons won this should be interesting. :) Loving the tour. :)

Jen Haile said...

I love the cover of this book and can't wait to read it!

PuttPutt1198Eve said...

Armageddon is over and the demons have won?! We would really need some great demon hunters then!

Jill Archer said...

Hi Natasha, glad you're enjoying the tour. Thanks for the kind words!

Hi Jen, thank you! The cover has been a big hit. The art director and cover artist did a great job with it.

Hi PuttPutt1198Eve, Armageddon is definitely over in Dark Light of Day – as in 2,000 years over. :-) The world has had a chance to rebuild, but now it's under demon rule. Much of the story is set on an academic campus where Noon will learn how to become a demon peacekeeper. And, while I wouldn't describe any of the demons in Dark Light of Day as "good," many of them are law-abiding. That said, Noon doesn't want to work with any of them. (If you had to work with demons, would you want to? ;-)) I appreciate the comment and your interest.

Bec said...

Looks like a great book Jill! I love how you said you ignore bad reviews - you are so right - not every book is for everyone!

Jill Archer said...

Thanks, Bec! I appreciate the comment. Hope you have a nice Halloween!

Shamus said...

Hi Jill! All good stuff here. I still can't believe that husband of yours hasn't read DLOD. To each his own, I suppose.

Dovile said...

I never get enough UF books, thanks for a new one for me!

Jill Archer said...

Hi Shamus, thanks for checking in on the tour! I never begrudge a reader their personal preferences, although I do TRY to encourage non-readers to cross over (thus the Ready Player One recommendation). :-)

Hi Dovile, my pleasure! Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for the comment.

The winner of the Ace/Roc sampler here at this stop is Natasha. Natasha, please e-mail your US address to: archer at jillarcher dot com.

For anyone following the tour who might be wondering how I choose sampler winners at each stop... I write everyone's name on a piece of paper, crumple them up, and select one. :-)

This was a great stop! Thanks again for having me, Laurie!

Jess said...

Great giveaway.

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

Awesome interview! :]

Lesley D said...

Thanks for the interview! The book sounds interesting.