Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Autumn Dance by Jacqueline Paige: Interview & Excerpt : Bewitching Promotions

 


 
 
 
 

Autumn Dance
Book IV in the Magic Seasons series
 
At the autumn gathering twelve angry and determined witches use their power to draw out the killer before anyone else can become a victim.
 
With his magic ability Dade has control like no other— if he had that in his everyday life he could have the one thing he wants.

Coralee is a woman that represents grace and simplicity.  She has the skill of being able to feel emotion, aura and see beyond the now.  The pain sometimes associated with this gift has forced her to live her life from a distance.  She decided early in life what she wanted, and returned from her years away at school set to obtain her biggest dream. Unfortunately she has found the past few years lacking just that as she waits for the man she wants to stop and look at her instead of every female that throws themselves in his path. 

Dade is a man that follows life simply, yet his charitable personality brings him a wealth of   satisfaction.  He is the first to lend a hand, the last to stay and help and the one everyone calls when something goes wrong.  Even though his own generous nature fills his life, he still manages to find time enough to get himself into a mess at every turn and spends most of the time imploring forgiveness from the one sexy voodoo woman he can’t seem to get close to. 
 
Kindle   |  Paperback  |  Smashwords 


Steven slumped down in the seat as Dade drove them back to Cora’s to unload everything.  Closing his eyes he sighed.  Sleep! Soon!

          “Do you know where I can get a horse?”

          He opened his eyes and looked at Dade.  “There’s a horse on the list?”

          Dade looked at him and frowned.  “What? No!”

          Steven sat back up.  “Should I even ask what the hell you want a horse for?”

          Dade smirked.  “You said you wanted to see me top all of you guys.”

          Steven pinched the bridge of his nose for a second.  “And you need a horse to do this?”

          Dade nodded.  “Yeah, a white one.”

          Steven put his head down and chuckled.  “Do you even know how to ride a horse, I’m assuming you planning on riding it.”

          Dade shrugged.  “How hard can it be?”

          “Oh! I can’t get in shit for taking pictures this time.”  He took a calming breath trying not to laugh again.  “I have a patient, well his parents own a horse farm, if you’re serious.”

          Dade grinned.  “I’m serious.”

          He leaned over towards him.  “You’re not going to ride a horse into Cora’s house are you?


 

How did you start your writing career?  

Writing seriously started in a way that actually began as a joke. The entire Magic Seasons series was not even planned when I sat down and started writing. The actual writing began as a joke to get the last word in with one of my friends (I hadn’t written anything other than the odd poem for more than ten years). At that time we spent a large portion of each day together, online haunting the same locations or on the phone. When she told me she was going on a month long trip, I couldn’t imagine what I was going to do without her companionship for that long, so I asked her. Her response was ‘write a book’ … so I did. Although when I began it was just to get the last laugh. 

A month later when she returned I was on the second book and the story was flying. When she began to read the first story, she expected a joke in some way and was honestly shocked that I had an actual story with plot – and a good one at that.

The idea of the series came to me as I began to figure out characters because I had just spent two years traveling around to various pagan festivals meeting some rather fantastic people along the way. Of course I was as shocked as my characters when my sweet paranormal romance turned into something entirely different and the first murder victims were discovered on that damp morning of the Beltane gathering. 

Do you have critique partners or beta readers? 

When I first started I had a few friends read what I wrote, for the most part they were very helpful. Now, several books later I have beta readers and proofers. I seem to take on far too many projects at once and needed help. Now that I have this help, I'm not sure how I got through the first few without it! 

What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books? 

Aside from the fact that I can write... it would be that characters don't listen. In some ways they are children and it doesn't matter what you want them to do or plan for them to do, they end up surprising you and doing something you hadn't even thought of.

How do you describe your writing style? 

Unpredictable is probably the only word that works. I have tried plotting, but with misbehaving characters that toss things at me, that doesn't work. I most often take a general story idea and just start typing. I've even written the end of a story before even starting the first part. So, yeah, unpredictable. 

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they? 

The best thing I can suggest is to keep writing. Even if you're not ready to send anything in, just keep writing. When your finished one, start the next. You'll finally write that one that you know you have to submit and then the rest will turn into a whirl of writing/editing/publishing. :) 

How do you react to a bad review of your book? 

I don't take it to heart. A review is someone's opinion and interpretation of your work, it is what it is. I appreciate the time they took to read it and their honesty. I try to think of it like this: Some people like pop, some like juice and some don't like either and drink water.  

Are the names of the characters in your novels important? How and why? 

To me they are very important. Quite often I spend more time coming up with character names than I do with the title of the book. I've even struggled with a character to the point where I've changed their name. To me a certain name brings to mind the overall character. I also try to pick names that aren't used over and over and over again.  

What would we find under your bed? 

(I had to pick this question from the list because it was so different!) You would find the floor only. I am a strange sort and don't like my bed "off the ground" so it sits directly on the floor. As I get older there are some morning I wished it wasn't that low, but I'll have it that way until I'm too old to get up. 

Have any of your characters been modeled after yourself? 

No. I don't think I'd make a very interesting character, really, but I have been told by people that know me that the 'sarcasm' many of my characters develop is all me. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing... 

Thanks for having me here today!!
 

 

Jacqueline Paige is a world class multi-tasker being a mother to five adventurous and unpredictable children, a cafe manager and having a colossal imagination that allows her to step outside of reality into a world of paranormal romance —with just a touch of suspense.
 
Jacqueline lives in Ontario, Canada and avoids the ever changing weather of the region she lives in by creating other worlds to fall into in her stories of all things paranormal. 

Her first book was published in 2009 and since then has published ten.  She is always writing and currently has more than a dozen stories in one stage or another of the writing process. 

You can find all of Jacqueline’s books at:  www.jacqpaige.webs.com  

 


Bewitching Banner



1 comment:

Jacqueline Paige said...

Thanks again for having me here today!
I love your site, I could surf here for hours without pause.