Friday, September 14, 2012

Initiation by Imogen Rose: Character Interviews & Author Interview



 
 
 

Welcome to Bonfire Academy!

Set in the foothills of the alpine mountains in St.Moritz, this exclusive private school caters to a special kind of student. This supernatural prep is populated by international students from the most elite of society who are blessed... and cursed by bloodlines of the most powerful families in the world. The rule is simple... Trust No One.

WARNING: This YA story is set in a school for paranormals who are very different from normal human teens. Thus, the language and some scenes might not be appropriate for younger YA readers. Recommended for those sixteen and above.


INITIATION is the first book in the prequel series (Bonfire Academy) of the Bonfire Chronicles.

 
 

 

An Interview with Octavia


Octavia is the enrichment student at the Academy who represents Cordelia at the Student Council trial. Like all my characters, she was born in my imagination, this time inspired by my awesome friend and editor, Sue Bernstein, who is also a lawyer. During the editing process, something odd happened. Sue adopted Octavia into her own imagination, and Octavia seemed to become a manifestation of Sue’s personality. It was a weird, but wonderful thing, and a total hoot. For the first time, my story had a character who seemed to have taken over a life of her own outside my own imagination. So it was only natural to ask Sue my questions for Octavia.

 

Where did you attend to law school?

From the time I was a kid growing up in the mid-western US, I always wanted to live in New York. So I applied to only one law school - a prestigious school in Manhattan that shall remain nameless - and got in! I spent three blissful years in Manhattan before being turned. 

When were you turned into a vampire? How old were you?

That’s a day I'll never forget - I was turned on graduation day. What began as the happiest day of my life, graduation from law school, ended with fangs in my neck and me undead forever. I was… am twenty-six years old. 

I am guessing you were turned by someone eminent, hence you being sent here to the Academy. Are you able to share who that was?

While I am not at liberty to divulge the name, suffice it to say that he was one of my law professors, who told me he had very big plans for me. No kidding big plans! When not teaching evening classes in New York, he teaches an introduction to paranormal jurisprudence class at Bonfire Academy. 

What were the circumstances in which you were turned?

The professor who turned me was my mentor. I trusted him and worked side-by-side with him for three years. At least he waited for me to graduate before he turned me but studying for the NY Bar Exam while trying to control my brand-new powers was a bit hairy! 

What will you do once your time at the Academy is over?

My mentor/professor/attacker still has big plans for me. Once my enrichment year is over, I am going to go into practice with him and will also teach part time at the Academy. 

What do you think of Jagger?

For a winter, that faery is definitely H-O-T! 

How close to you feel to him after letting him drink your blood? Do you feel he belongs to you in any way?

As trite as this sounds, faeries belong to no one. That said, however, Jagger and I have a very close bond. Mmmmm. 

Do you like Cordelia?

Like is such an odd word for a vampire to use. Cordelia was my client, and I respect her. You didn't think you'd pin down a lawyer, did you? 

What do you think is up between her and Jagger?

Oh, goodness! Something for sure. I can sense it in my blood. 

Are you coming back to school next year, during Faustine’s Integration year?

Yes! But on the teaching staff. 

Finally, my friend Allirea wants to know if you can make her into a faery, or does she have to be born as one?

Allirea, dear one, I can turn you into a vampire. So why would you want to be a faery? Yum! 

Thanks so much, Octavia and Sue!

 
 
 
 
 
I have to be honest. I approached this interview with some hesitation, perhaps even a little trepidation. After all, even though I feel I know him a bit through Cordelia, I’ve never experienced Jagger directly. As he sits before me, I can empathize with Cordelia. He is impossibly magnetic, his aura both powerful and dangerous, the only release, a hint of humor gleaming in his silver-gray eyes.

IR: Jagger, thank you so much for agreeing to this interview. Are you excited about starting a new year at the Academy?
Jagger: My pleasure. I am, though I’m not exactly sure what my role will be this year. I guess I’ll find out when I get there.
IR: So, you’re not heading back as the Student Council President?
Jagger: I wouldn’t think so. That position is usually only awarded for a year. Plus, my time at the academy is officially over.
IR: Why are you going back, then?
Jagger: Mainly to keep an eye on my brother, Ryker.
IR: And Cordelia?
Jagger: Yes, hmm. You said that you had some questions from my fans...
IR: I do! Here is one from Sean Sweeney. He wants to know what you got Cordelia for Valentine’s Day.
Jagger: Myself. However, like any girl, she obviously needed a “token” as well. I got her a little secret something from Harry Winston.
IR: Nice! The next question is about Cordelia as well. Al Kunz, the infamous celeb book blogger, aka The Snake, wants to know what really happened on the slopes. He wants details.
Jagger: He couldn’t handle the details.
IR: LOL! There you have it, Al! Moving on... Michelle Cable wants to know what you thought when you first saw Cordelia and what you thought of that electrifying kiss.
Jagger: That she’s stunning is apparent to all who are lucky enough to behold her. I was struck by her beauty as soon as I saw her, when she first arrived at the academy. It was my policy to stay away from demons, though. Every kiss with her is electrifying, but I’m guessing you mean our very first kiss. I was shocked, but immediately realized what had happened.
IR: Too bad that doesn’t happen to humans. Synching sounds unbelievably intimate...
Jagger: It is, but the realization that one is bound forever to this one being frightening, too. That’s unnatural in the supernatural world.
IR: I can see that. Faustine seems to bridge the gap between the human and the paranormal worlds. My daughter Lauren wants to know what you think of Faustine, and Vickie Boehnlein wants to know if you’re scared of Faustine.
Jagger: I love Faustine. She’s like a little sister to me. I feel very protective of her, even though I know that she can take care of herself. And yes, I’m scared of her. I’d be stupid not to be. She’s one of the most powerful demons I’ve ever come across.
IR: Demons seem to like their food, meat in particular. Lynn O’Dell would like to know if you prefer filet mignon or T-bones?
Jagger: I’m not a demon, but I do prefer Filet Mignon.
IR: That doesn’t surprise me. I have a last question from my friend Allirea Brumley. She wants to know what’s going to happen to you next?
Jagger: I’m not a Wanderer, so a trip into the future to answer that is not possible. Say “hi” to her from me, though. I love her name... Allirea. Is she a faery?
IR: Ha, ha. No, I don’t think so. Thank you so much, Jagger!



 
Welcome Imogen! It's a real treat to have you visit my blog and thank so much for bringing such interesting characters with you, too!! LOL - I really enjoyed their interviews and I'm looking forward to finding out more about you, too.   Tell us about your next release.


I am working on Fusion, the fifth book of the Portal Chronicles, which will be released this Christmas. However, I am also having some of my books translated into German, Spanish, French, and Japanese, and it looks like the German edition of Portal will be ready by the end of the month. So that’s the next one planned for publication.
 
Do you have critique partners or beta readers?
 
I have the most amazing team of beta readers who have been with me from the start and have stayed loyal and committed to my series. They are integral to my process, and I wouldn’t dream of publishing a book without their input.
 
What was one of the most surprising things you learned while publishing your books?
 
I was surprised to find myself to be a competent businesswoman. For me, Indie publishing is 10% writing and 90% marketing. I didn’t have any business experience (I come from a science background) and was faced with having to run my own publishing company, where my success was not just dependent on my writing, but also a product of successful marketing.
 
Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask?
 
I am very lucky to hear from my readers on almost a daily basis. I mostly get asked about forthcoming release dates and advice on what order they should read my books.
 
Plotter or Pantser? Why?
 
Pantser. Plotting sounds like work, and writing is an adventure for me, where I don’t know what’s happening from page to page.


What was the scariest moment of your life?

A week after the birth of my second daughter, I received a phone call from the NJ State Department asking me to take my daughter to the doctor immediately. The person sounded formal and detached, and when I asked why, she was not forthcoming, just told me to hurry up and take my daughter to the hospital. I looked down at my perfect week-old baby and freaked out! Absolutely the scariest moment of my life. We rushed her to St. Peter’s Hospital and were told that she’d be fine as long as we administered thyroxin daily.
 
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?


Most people guess that I am going to say a movie star or model, but I wanted to be a racecar driver.


Do you have a Website or Blog?


 

Imogen Rose is the author of the bestselling series, Portal Chronicles, which has attained cult status within indie literature and become a favorite among teens and adults alike. An immunologist by profession, Dr. Rose published her first work of fiction in 2010. She now writes full time and is currently working on her second teen series, Bonfire Chronicles. Imogen was born in Sweden and has lived in several places, counting London among her favorites. She moved to New Jersey in 2001. A self-confessed Herm├Ęs addict, Imogen freely admits to being obsessed with Kurt Cobain. She enjoys shopping, traveling, watching movies, and hanging out with her family, friends, and Chihuahua.

Portal Chronicles:
1. Portal
2. Equilibrium
3. Quantum
4. Momentum
5. Fusion (to be published end of the year; 2012)
 
Bonfire Chronicles:
1. Faustine
2. Initiation
3. Integration

4. UPRISING (Summer 2013)
 

Imogen Rose’s Links:

Website
  |  Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Pinterest

 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like uggs , ugg boots , ugg classic boots , ugg boots outlet , ugg boots sale , ugg boots cheap , ugg boots on sale , vibram fivefingers , air jordan , discount ugg boots , ugg lo pro button denim 5691 , ugg lo pro button , ugg half waterproofing 5918 , ugg mayfaire 5116 , ugg ultimate bind 5219 , window shopping on weekdays when the enormous corridors of shopping mall are empty, like telling myself that lo pro ugg boots , ugg bailey button triplet 1873 , ugg women's bailey button triplet 1873 , ugg women's bailey button triplet , ugg bailey button triplet , ugg australia women's bailey button triplet , ugg boots classic brief 5825 , ugg classic short 5825 , ugg traditional brief boots , ugg boots traditional short , ugg women's traditional brief , ugg australia women's classic brief , I am so no cost. I do not care what is new in which shop, I am hunting at ugg boots traditional tall 5815 , ugg boots classic tall , ugg boots traditional tall boots , ugg women's traditional tall , ugg australia women's classic tall , ugg boots bailey button 5803 , ugg bailey button boots 5803 , ugg bailey button 5803 , ugg women's bailey button 5803 , ugg women's http://www.vbboots.co.uk
bailey button 5803 boots how they created the window and ugg [url=http://www.vbboots.co.uk/]Ugg Boots cheap[/url]
boots traditional cardy 5819 , ugg boots traditional cardy , ugg traditional cardy boots , ugg women's traditional cardy , ugg australia women's traditional cardy , ugg boots ultra brief 5225 , ugg boots ultra short , ugg women's ultra brief , ugg australia ultra brief , ugg classic argyle knit 5879, position and wears design of uggs argyle knit , ugg women's argyle knit , ugg australia women's argyle knit boots , ugg knightsbridge 5119 , ugg 5119 , ugg knightsbridge boots , uggs knightsbridge 5119 , ugg boots classic mini 5854 , ugg classic mini , ugg boots nightfall 5359. I like ugg nightfall , ugg boots sundance ii 5325 , ugg sundance , ugg boots ultra tall 5245 , ugg ultra tall , ugg traditional crochet 5833 [url=http://www.dalinsell.co.uk/]Ugg Boots sale[/url]
, uggs classic crochet , ugg suburb crochet 5124 , ugg women's felicity 5450 , ugg women's highkoo particularly when I'm not looking for anything to get..