Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Apocalypse Rising by Eric Swett : Interview & Excerpt





 
 


Apocalypse Rising
Eric Swett
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Haileybug Publishing
ISBN: 1477524533 
Smashwords:  9781476457451
ASIN:  B0085HB9C8
Number of pages:  178
Word Count: 58,042
Cover Artist:  Jan Marie Parupia
Book Description: 
Long ago, an Angel surrendered his memories and his power when he left Heaven behind, so that he could make a difference in the real world. A couple thousand years walking amongst the teaming masses of humanity has left him disillusioned, but he refuses to give up. He spends his time with the forgotten souls of an urban slum, making a difference wherever he can.

When Justin witnesses the brutal murder of a woman at the hands of a ruthless business tycoon, he must run before his eternal life is cut short. Justin must swallow his pride in order to save himself, and the one friend he has left. The journey back to the fold is filled with danger and discovery as he finds himself in a race towards the end of the world.



 

“What the hell…”

“Shut up! They’re already here,” I whisper as I clamp my hand over her mouth. “Damn it! I thought we’d have more time.” I look around, hoping to find something that might help out, but sometimes an alley is just an alley and it is filled with nothing but other people’s refuse. I pull my hand from Lilly’s mouth. “Get on my back. We need to get out of here.” I turn around and she climbs on board. ‘Thank God she’s small,’ I think to myself as we jog into the darkness away from my escape plan.

I turn the corner into another alley and hear two gunshots behind us. They are muffled, probably from within my apartment. Whoever had gone to find me had not been to my room before or they would not have shot the full-length mirror that hung on the wall opposite of my door. More than one visitor has been startled by seeing themselves upon entering. It does not surprise me that some thug would squeeze off a couple rounds after breaking down my door. It will not take long to figure out I am not there. They will start asking my neighbors and Charlene will tell them we were on the bus.

I would like to say that I have a backup plan, but my escape plan is my back up plan. I need some time to figure out what to do next. It takes time to stop and I know that they are too close and stopping means dying. My mind races for somewhere to go, someplace that Albert will not think of. I have been a local fixture for too long. Albert knows where to find me and probably knows where to find Lilly too. The only place we can go is nowhere we have been.

Downtown is the only place I can think of where we will not be found right away, but downtown is pretty far for us to walk and we have no other means of getting there. I could steal a car, but I do not want the police involved. Albert owns most of the local cops and most of the downtown ones as well. You do not get to be a big time player like him if you do not have the law on your side. It is times like this when I wish I could call for help.

Lilly’s muffled crying against my shoulder makes up my mind for me. If I am going to save us, I have to go back to my old life. It has been a long time since I left, but some lessons learned long ago become more instinct than memory. I know I am not as good as I once was, but the real question is whether I am good enough for right now. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, but we have to get downtown to stand a chance.

I say a little prayer as I run through the alley and take it as a good sign that my prayers are answered as we leave the alley. Sitting there on the little side street is a taxi with its “available” light lit. It is against all odds, but that is the beautiful thing about prayer. I walk over to the passenger side and knock on the window.

“Jesus!” The cabbie would have jumped out of his chair if not for the seat belt strapped across his lap.

“No, Justin, but I appreciate the compliment. Now can we get a ride?”

“You got money?” he asks.

“No, but wouldn’t you like to do something nice today and take us to downtown?” I am straining, trying to eke out as much goodwill and good fortune as I can.

 It has been a long time since I have tried to bring forth the power and I have to throw all of my concentration behind it to get the trickle I am starting to feel.

“Ha! You’re a funny guy you know that? Ha!” The man in the cab pulls out a cigarette and lights up. He looks at me over his thick fingers as he delicately holds the cigarette to his lips. “What’s wrong with the girl?”

“She had a bit too much to drink and I need to get her home.” I keep my eyes locked on his while I feed the flow. I push at his heart and soul, trying to get him to let me in, but I am too weak, too out of practice.

“You two don’t look old enough to be drinking,” he says after taking a long drag. His smoke stained fingers grip the filter tightly. “In fact, you don’t look like you’ve been drinking at all.” He eyes me suspiciously.

“I wasn’t. I was just along for the ride. Before I knew it she was falling all over the place and I thought I had better get her out of there.” Suddenly I can feel it, the crack I am looking for. I push my will into the crack, feeding as much positive energy into it as I can muster.

There is a change in the cab driver. It is almost imperceptible, not much more than a twinkle in the man's eyes, but it is there. “Look kid, I can’t take you all the way downtown, at least not for free, but I can take you about half way okay?”

“Bless you...”

“Carl.”

“Bless you Carl.” I open the door, put Lilly in and climb in beside her.

“All right, let’s get going,” Carl says as he turns the car on and quietly drives off. I feel something pull at my consciousness so I look over my shoulder in time to see three men walk out of the alley. It may be my imagination or the exhaustion from reaching out to Carl, but I see a glint of red through the darkness. It is the light in Carl’s eyes in reverse, only it comes from the men behind us. What have I gotten myself into?
 
 
 
 
Welcome Eric!  Thanks for visiting! When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I tend to do most of my writing on the fringes of the day: early in the morning and late at night. I am married with two kids and a third on the way, plus I work three jobs, so time is at a premium in my life. I could probably do more writing during the day, but it is a little easier when everyone is asleep. One of my most productive times to write is actually Saturday morning when my youngest son is at Karate. I sit in the waiting area of the dojo and crank out the words. There is no wireless internet at the dojo, so it keeps me from being distracted.


Plotter or Pantser? Why?

I am a total Pantser and it drives me nuts. I have tried to plot out my stories and develop the characters ahead, but when I sit down to write I find myself going in whatever direction feels right, no matter what my plot notes say. A writer friend of mine says I surrender to my muse, and I suppose she is right, but I do wish I could crack the whip and keep her in line every once in a while. It would make the rewriting phase of the work a lot easier.


Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

I usually listen to music when I write, and it tends to be movie soundtracks. Some of my favorites are Basil Poledouris's Conan the Barbarian, Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings and Trevor Jones's Excalibur. There are way more, but these three are the favorites (okay, I have to throw in John Williams's six Star Wars soundtracks, Tyler Bates's 300 and Bear McCreary's work on Battlestar Galactica).


What was the scariest moment of your life?

The scariest moment in my life took place in December, 2001. My wife had a miscarriage earlier in the week, but the pregnancy had been pretty early on, so the doctors decided to let nature just take its course. Well a couple of days later my wife started bleeding while we were at a holiday work function. We went to the emergency room by ambulance and after an hour or so she stabilized and the doctor sent us on our way. We started driving home (about an hour away) and she started bleeding again once we were almost to the half way point. I got her to the hospital, but she passed out from blood loss. I had to sit in the empty hospital waiting area at two in the morning and wait. I have never been so scared in all of my life. The doctors did a great job and everything turned out okay, but I will never forget the way I felt that night.


Who is your favorite author?

My favorite author is H. P. Lovecraft. I love the way he can build tension and suspense in his short stories is incredible. I used to try and write in his style, but I never felt like I could hit the mark. Another favorite is Robert Jordan. When it comes to pure fantasy, you do not get much better than him.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Finding the time to write is the hardest part. There are days when I can barely squeeze out fifteen minutes to put some words on the screen. As far as the writing itself, well for me it is the action sequences. I spend a lot of time agonizing over the details, especially when there is a fight that involves more than two or three people. A fantasy novel I am working on once stalled out for six months because I was never satisfied with the way one action/battle scene was playing out. I can be my own worst enemy.


What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

My wife has been awesome when it comes to my writing. She is very supportive and patient with me when I get tunnel vision. My kids think it is kind of cool that I have written a book, but my oldest, who is almost 10, is a little disappointed that he is not allowed to read it yet. The rest of my family is pretty excited for me, but my mom is a little surprised at the religious aspects of my book. I think she expected it to be a traditional fantasy.







Does your significant other read your stuff?

My wife almost never reads my fiction. Occasionally she will read a short story or article I post on my blog, but the serialized fiction she leaves alone and she has not read my novel either. I do not blame her for that. It can be a little dark in places and that is not where she wants her mind to be with the baby on the way.

 
 

Eric Swett started writing a story at 100 words a day in the spring of 2011 as an exercise while he worked on his novel. One year later and that exercise turned into his first novel, "Apocalypse Rising."

He is the husband of Tracy and the father of Zachary and Connor. He works in the IT industry and is a recent transplant to North Carolina. He loves all things science fiction and fantasy and openly claims the title of geek.

 

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads  |  Blog



TOUR SCHEDULE


September 17 Tour Intro
Fang-tastic Books

September 17 Guest blog

September 18 Interview
Laurie's Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews

September 19 Interview
Books, Books, The Magical Fruit

September 19 Interview,
Paranormal Romantic Suspense,

September 20 Guest blog
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

September 21 Guest blog
Lisa’s World of Books

September 22 Promo and review
Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

September 22 Guest blog
happy tails and tales

September 23 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

September 24 Promo
Mila Ramos

September 24 Review
Books, Books, and More Books
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
Two signed print copies (US Only)
Giveaway ends September 24th
 

5 comments:

Eric Swett said...

Thank you for hosting today's stop on the book tour!

Laurie said...

It's my pleasure! Thanks for stopping by.

Teller-girl said...

Sounds like a great read!

Eric Swett said...

Thank you Teller-girl. I have gotten some great responses to it and I think you will really like it.

Paranormal Dream Writer said...

This book looks great! Thanks for the tour! ~ Felicia Starr