Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Silent Doll by Sonnet O'Dell: Interview and Mini Excerpt

Life is tough when you’re learning to control newly obtained supernatural powers and your vampire ex- lover is on a no holds barred campaign to lure you back into his arms.

Swearing off men, Cassandra embarks on a journey of self-discovery and mending fences until her plans are derailed when she stumbles over a nasty murder. Now she'll have to unravel dark magic in order to prevent another girl from losing her heart to the killer ... literally.

The men in her life won't let her be, a murderer is on the loose and a mysterious living doll named Trinket is desperately trying to communicate with her. Is Cassandra strong enough? Or will she too lose her heart, to a man or a murderer?

Kindle  |  Paperback  |  Amazon UK  |  Goodreads

It was a shoe that led me in the right direction, it looked like the owner had broken the heel and instead of stopping to assess the damage, she kept going, perhaps running scared. It was a navy blue pump and was pointed, toe twisted towards an alley up a head that ran between two building leading to a main road.

I picked up the shoe with a terrible sense of foreboding and walked slowly towards the alley. Alleys don’t smell good at the best of times but the coppery smell of blood was over powering as I walked further into the gloom. The woman’s body was illuminated by a security light over the fire exit of the building on the left, the neon glow lit over her terrified face as she now stared at nothing. Her other shoe was half on her foot and half off at an angle like she fallen or been pushed over. Her shirt had been torn open, buttons lay scattered like snowdrops across the rest of her.

Welcome back, Sonnet.  It's great to have you here and I'm excited to hear about your newest book featuring Cassandra Farbanks.  So...tell us about your current release.

My current release is number five in the Cassandra Farbanks series. Silent Doll follows my heroine as she tries to adjust her life to new circumstances and investigates the reasons behind several gruesome deaths.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I tend to write a lot more at night than I do any other time, mainly because I still have a day job. I can write long into the wee hours of the morning if the muse is with me.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

I’d say the hardest part of writing anything is coming up with some facet that will make it stand out from everything else around it. You don’t want to end up writing the same old things over and over.

What does your family and significant other think of your writing career?

I don’t have a significant other at present. Just haven’t found the right one but my parents are very supportive. They buy a copy of each of my books and both of them brag about their daughter being an author to anyone who will listen, which is really sweet of them.

At what point in your life did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I don’t think I really knew that I wanted to be a writer until my teens. I used to love English – except for writing essays and I was looking down the criteria and found you could write a short story instead. I enjoyed doing it so much that I kept on doing it, writing longer and longer pieces.

How do you react to a bad review of your book?

I’m a very emotional individual. I usually go through three stages when it comes to bad reviews. First I cry. Yes – actually cry. To this day I’m not sure why but being upset really upsets me. Then I get angry. I rant and rave about the review. Then comes acceptance, I accept that it’s just one persons opinion and I push it aside.

Where are your fans most likely to find you hanging out?

I like quiet out of the way places. Somewhere that’s got a nice atmosphere and is quiet. A must for the place is that they serve ice tea (peach) which is one of my absolute favourite things to drink, especially on a hot day, with lots of ice.

Entice us, what future projects are you considering?

Actually I have two other books coming out. I have a young adult fantasy called More than Mortal due out in November and a paranormal romance called Mistakenly Mated which is out at the beginning of next year. As for my other projects, I’m working on the next couple of Cassandra books pretty exclusively at the moment.

Sonnet was born at the John Radcliffe in Oxford and spent the first six years of her life living in the town of Abingdon close to both her grandparents and most of the rest of her family.

She moved after that to Cornwall for three years and then to Devon for another three before moving to where she has lived for the last fourteen or so years.

Sonnet now lives in Worcester, Worcestershire, famous for Lea & Perrin’s Sauce and as the site for the last battle of the Civil War.

Blog  |  Website  |  Facebook  |  Youtube

Enter for a chance to win a digital copy of Silent Doll.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Like Sonnet on Facebook for another bonus entry.
Giveaway ends September 8th 11:59 PM Central Time.


PuttPutt1198Eve said...

Sounds like poor Cassandra doesn't have a chance. She swears off men and then has all those men after her!

Joanne said...

This book sounds fantastic. Can't wait to read it to see what happens to Cassandra.

Linda Hays-Gibbs said...

Did you say you were born in England? The names of the places you mentioned sounded English but then you mentioned a Civil War and that always makes me think of the States. Anyway you are such a beautiful and talented young lady and your book sounds wonderful. I especially like the part of a living doll, hopefully a yummy one. I wonder about the poor vampire lover she left behind. I hope he comes back in the book. I would love a copy. It was a great interview and good luck!
Linda Hays-Gibbs
My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls
Angel in My Heart, Devil in My Soul
Coming in November

koddabear said...

This sounds like a great book. I'm looking forward to reading it

Sharon Stogner said...

great job on the cover. It is attention getting :)


Nice interview! The blog looks great too - everything neat and pretty!

Tom Olbert said...

Wonderful interview, Sonnett. The imagery of the body being discovered was very potent and poetic. The premise for your story reminded me a little of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I always loved. I agree with previous comments about the cover: excellent. I wish you the very best with this release and all your endeavors.

ChrissieB said...

Sounds like a awesome read. Thank you