Saturday, August 11, 2012

Corpse Goddess by Kristi Jones: Interview & Excerpt : Bewitching Tour Stop

Genre:Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Evernight Publishing
ASIN:B008EZXJ7E
Number of pages: 274
Word Count: 79,034


Party girl Meg Highbury wakes up the morning of her twenty-first birthday with one hell of a hangover – and a walking corpse in her apartment.  Meg turns to her straight-laced neighbor Armando for help and together they discover that Meg is a Valkyrie.


What’s more, her first duty is to trade places with the corpse.  But Meg is being sent to her Death Duty too soon. In a race against time, Meg frantically tries to find a loophole to her gruesome fate, but while Meg is determined to live whatever the cost, Armando's strict moral principles keep getting in the way of her plans for escape.

Can Meg walk the 'right' and narrow path, possibly sacrificing her mortal life, for love? And if she can, will Armando have the stomach to love a rotting corpse of a girl who is falling apart in more ways than one?



EXCERPT
“You don't know her, Armando.” A sticky, slimy substance filled Meg’s mouth. She swallowed, put a hand to her chest, willing herself not to throw up. She made her own skin crawl, thinking about what was going on inside her body. It took a minute, but the taste in her mouth dissipated. She went on. “She's the only person who could have sent the book. There isn't anyone else in my life, don't you get that? She wanted me to read it and call up this, this, thing. And I hate her for it.”


And the dam broke. She couldn’t fight the tears. Her shoulders heaved, and she sank back down onto the bed, surrendering to the tears and the anguish and the pain. She sobbed in great wracking jerks and heaves. A small inner voice muttered, “get it under control, girl, you're making a fool of yourself”, but the emotions were too strong.


Armando sat beside her, his hand on her back. Meg focused on the weight of his hand, the warmth and the life of it. She closed her eyes and focused all her senses on that hand. She pictured it in her mind. She wondered if he tasted like salt. She held onto the image of Armando's hand, flushed with blood and warm in the sun, until all thoughts of rot and death receded.


“It’s okay, Meg. It’ll be okay,” Armando said. He removed his hand, but remained seated beside her.  


“It isn’t fair, you know,” Meg said, keeping her eyes closed. “I haven’t done anything. I’ve wasted so much time, partying and stuff. Funny thing is, I used to look at you and think you were wasting your life.”


“Yeah, I kinda knew that.” 


“I should have been studying and learning. Maybe if I’d been studying, been focused on school, I never would have gone to the cemetery.”


“I don’t know about that. It was your twenty-first birthday. I didn’t spend my twenty-first birthday studying.”


It was Meg’s turn to arch an eyebrow. “You didn’t?”


“Of course not. Contrary to what you might think, Meg, I do have a social life. It just doesn’t involve drugs and gallons of alcohol.”


Meg bristled at this, but decided to let it pass. He was right, she supposed, but it didn’t make it any less embarrassing.


“Anyway, curiosity isn’t something you can cure with schoolwork.”


“What do you mean?”


“I mean, it isn’t necessarily a bad thing that you like to push the envelope.”


“Maybe,” Meg said. She wasn’t sure what Armando was trying to say, but she knew he was trying to make her feel better about calling up her own death buddy.


“Besides, you’ve had lots of experiences. I’m pretty sure you’ve done tons of things I haven’t done.”


“That’s the kicker, Armando,” Meg said, turning to face him. “I haven’t. I haven’t done anything but drink and laugh at stupid jokes. I’ve gotten drunk and high and puked in my kitchen sink, but that’s not exactly a bucket list. I’ve never loved anybody. I’ve never gone sky diving or driven a race car. Christ, the worst part is, I’m not even good at being a party girl. I haven’t jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge or gone bungee jumping.”


“We don’t live anywhere near the Brooklyn Bridge.”


“That’s not the point. I’m just saying I haven’t lived yet.” Meg pointed at the corpse in the room. “I’m about to turn into moldy cheese, and I haven’t lived yet. A Valkyrie, whatever the fuck that is, is supposed to get one lifetime right? Well, doesn’t a lifetime include certain things? Marriage, kids, adventures.”


“You want kids?”


“I don't know. Probably not. But I'd like the chance to decide.”


“Right. Makes sense.”


He was looking uncomfortable with Meg’s talk of kids and marriage. Armando, who appeared completely at ease with bodily fluids, farts and personal belief systems, was acting like the typical commitment-phobe.


“Don’t worry, Armando. I’m not asking you to marry me or have kids with me. I’m just saying, I think I deserve all that, you know?”


Armando nodded, but his eyes were unfocused. He was thinking of something else.


Meg shifted away. Her stomach was roiling again, and she was afraid she might fart. The stench of Cousin Ed clearly still bothered him, and suddenly she didn’t want to disgust Armando. She realized with a sort of dawning wonder that she wanted him to like her.


She could feel the heat of his leg against hers, but she kept her eyes on the floor. Her shoes were off, and she noticed that her toenails were turning blue. Fighting off another eruption of the despicable tears, she thought about asking him to get her a drink or something – anything to lessen the tension between them – when the bedroom door clicked open. Meg and Armando broke apart like startled lovers. 




Does travel play in the writing of your books?

Absolutely! I travelled a lot growing up and I know that exploring dungeons and ivy-covered graveyards, castles and concentration camps, cathedrals and ancient cities left me with an irresistible desire to write about the people who might have lived, worked and died there.

Where do you dream of travelling to and why?

Well, right now I dream of traveling to northern Germany, specifically the Munsterland. I’m doing research on a new book set in a water castle and I’d love to go take some pictures and explore as many castles as possible. There’s a great bike tour that I’d love to do in that part of the world, if my old legs will hold out!

Where do you research for your books?

Depends on the book. For The Corpse Goddess, I did a lot of research about Nordic myths and legends online and at the library. I also did a lot of research about body farms and forensics, which was gross and fascinating all at once! I wanted to visit a body farm, but they wouldn’t let me.

If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?

Valkyries, for starters!  The Corpse Goddess is just the first installment of the Valkyrie Legacy.

I like a big canvas and a series lets you really dive into the characters, so if someone doesn’t stop me, I’m apt to turn every idea into a series. I’m finishing up book one of a YA series right now, about a girl who has the genetic ability to travel back in time.

What is it that you like to do when you’re not reading/writing?

I like to spend time with my husband and kids. We all love to travel together. I take my long-haired dachshund on walks, go to museums and plays, hang out with my friends. You know, the usual stuff. I also love movies! And I can’t sleep at night, no matter how late it is, if I don’t read something.

How do you react to a bad review of your book?

So far, I haven’t had one!  That’s not to say I don’t expect one. Zombies aren’t for everyone. I have had mediocre reviews. As a reader, I know that everyone has different tastes. Something that I love might not appeal to another reader. And then there are plenty of best-sellers that I just can’t stomach. It’s all relative, so I try to stay philosophical. Criticism and rejection are part of the process, so I think the best thing you can do is just roll with it.

Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words.

Hard.  Divine.  Dreamy.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?

That ideas won’t stop coming. That the more I write, the more ideas I have! My list of pending projects grows every month and I think I’ll need to live to be about 120 years old to complete them all!


Kristi Jones spent her childhood exploring European castles, crumbling manor houses and ornate cathedrals, always looking for secret passages and hidden rooms.  She holds a degree in European history and loves to throw ‘ordinary’ characters into extraordinary circumstances.  

She currently lives in south Texas with her husband and two children, who inspire her daily.  She is a member of the Writers’ League of Texas and Romance Writers of America.  She loves old movies, being a Mom, the feel of paper in her hands and things that go bump in the night.

Website  |  Blog  |  Goodreads  |  Facebook  |   Twitter


August 11 Interview
Laurie's Paranormal Thoughts & Reviews
August 13 Promo
Urban Girl Reader –
August 14 guest blog
Captivated Reading
August 15 review
Amber's Supernatural & YA Reviews


Tour Wide Giveaway 5 ebook copies The Corpse Goddess by Kristi Jones





3 comments:

Kristi Jones said...

Hi Laurie!
Thanks so much for having me today!
Kristi

Lyric said...

Thanks for the giveaway ! :)

Abby Flores said...

Thanks so much for the giveaway.,.:D