Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Society On Da Run: Dragons and Cicadas by L'Poni Baldwin: Interview & Character Interview




The space dragons are coming home. No vampires rule this land, no wolves take claim to the Dragon's throne. In this collection of interlinked stories, these dragons are unbound by standard cliches. These dragons live among us, taking our forms, eating our food, breeding with our bloodlines...nobody knew their families dwelled in the stars, awaiting for a time to reclaim what is rightfully theirs. When cruelty and greed pulled the last straw, they attacked with technology superior to our own. Welcome to The Society, and we're running for our lives.

(This is a collected edition of stories from the magazine series of the same name. This book is updated every 1-2 months with new content from it's original version, so you are paying 2.99 for a large amount of interlinked stories)


Length: 1319 pages (estimated) 

Kindle 
 


That’s what a Space Dragon god should look like

How did you start your writing career? 

I began writing when I was ten. I began a prototype version of TSODR under various titles, and it really came together in late 2007, when the cicadas invaded Illinois. In October 2011, I began selling stories separately on Smashwords, and sometime in April/May, I decided to show the world each and every version of The Society On Da Run (including the early versions, but not without some intense editing) through a new ebook form I invented called “Subscription book.”


Tell us about your current release.


Requiem of the Villagers is the latest update in The Society On Da Run. It’s basically a bunch of flash stories but they link into the main storyline and it’s characters. One of the stories, Dragonboy in the Forest, is about Ashuton Karrucci in his younger days.

Take a Chance tells the story of Chance Karrucci, Ashuton’s younger brother. It went through a lot of editing and I added a reference Pinkie Pie’s song, Smile, just ‘cause I like Pinkie Pie (the “Friendship is Magic” version of Pinkie Pie. Yes, I’m a female Brony.).


How do you describe your writing style?

BAM! IN YO’ FACE!

Awww, it’s over?

YAAY! THERE’S MORE!

I’m traumatized.


Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask?

I wish I could hear from my readers :(

Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?


ALI PROJECT and Haruka Shimotsuki are the best. Their style is so authentic. It’s not that horrible boom boom fizzy computer music you hear on the radio. They use real instruments.

And now I will pass the interview chair to my colleague, Ashuton Karrucci (pssst, he’s a character in the book. I bought him here using quantum mechanics and wormholes).





Interview with Ashuton Karrucci, the god of dragons and prince of the space dragon empire.


**Ashuton takes a seat in the comfortable recliner, also called the Interview Chair. Sitting on his lap is his young dragon, Caterina, whom is three years out of the shell and bigger than a beagle. He quickly brushes the dirt from his suit and smiles brightly.***

What do you think makes a good story?

Dragons. Lots and lots of dragons, but only if they are not being harmed in any way. If they are evil or benevolent, the book is tripe. It’s trash and it’s drivel. Yes, I know I’ve been acting like a Trope dragon over the years and I am an avid player of Skyrim, but I am sick of the bad dragons out there, aren’t you?…ICE CREAM!

Tell us about your family.

Well…my mother was born in Africa and trained wild dragons. My Father was born in Rome and he was the prince of his dragon empire. Together they had a bunch of…dang it, I’m sugar coating it. Um…my brothers and I are all dragon gods and we were born sometime during King Arthur’s reign of the American states and Emperor Augustus’s battle for Rihahelm. Let’s see, we have…the "mannerism is best" dragon god, the "I love whores" dragon god, the "perfect and mentally crippled dragon god," the "insane bloodlust" dragon god, the "loner PhD" dragon god, the "homophobic" dragon god, the "hoarder" dragon god, the "rock star goth" dragon god, the "shyness is power" dragon god, the “demented Pinkie Pie” dragon and the "sickling" dragon god.

So that’s Charlie, Thomas, me, Rico, Zack, Silvestrio, Siletero, Massimo, Samuel, Chance and Chamyou. I know I missed a lot…and then there’s my Nonna. I love her so much. She tells the most interesting stories of the homeworld. 


What was the scariest moment of your life?

Going to ice cream rehab. I was perfectly fine, I still maintained a good workout and healthy body. I don’t know why my brothers threw me in there. Were they seeking revenge because I dressed up as Mario at the Grand Ball? I had to do it!


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a large dragon, just like my papa! I couldn’t just simply change my size whenever my powers permitted. I wanted to be like him: big and strong. I wanted to be able to stomp houses and destroy the real estate market, just like he did.


Do you play any sports?

When I was young, my brothers and I would play soccer from sunrise to sundown. Nowadays we play Team Deathmatch or Firefight in a game called Halo Reach. We still play a bit of soccer here and there.


What would you consider to be the best book you have ever read?

Rozen Maiden is the BEST series I have ever read. I am not normally into manga, but the philosophy and questions of life that the books bring to light are complicated for the simple mind to understand. The dolls themselves are the most intricate characters I have ever came across in literature. They are the cornerstones of…


Next question. What would we find under your bed?

My girlfriend, Narcissus. You might also find my collection of dead cicadas.


What makes you happy?

Seeing my dragons lead happy lives…and spending time with Narcissus and my family. I’ve been living for quite a long time, so I really want to have a peaceful life with my Narcissus and all my crazed brothers and sisters.


Bonus Question: What is the next big thing?

Giant wasps! GIANT WASPS! FUS RO DAAAAAAH! Fluttershy!


Okay. Thank you for stopping by Ashuton. Good luck with stomping on those houses! Bye!




I am a poetess trying to open up a new avenue in the world of Dragons: Space Dragons!! And I WILL make it "work." My main writings are for The Society On Da Run short story-magazine series. My stories are mostly flash fiction, short stories and (best of all) poetry. I'd love to one day have my own panel at Comic Con where I can do book signings and talk about my book. An author can dream a reality! TSODR is SCIENCE FICTION, not Fantasy. There are some Fantasy elements, but the book is Sci Fi more than anything.

  Website  |  Twitter  |  Blog



Enter to win a Gifted Kindle copy of The Society On Da Run: Dragons and Cicadas.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the author on Twitter for another bonus entry
Giveaway ends July 28th 11:59PM Central Time.



1 comment:

thedragonchild said...

I forgot to comment on how awesome this is! Thank you Laurie!! This is the second interview I've ever done!! :)

And I re-arranged the stories in the book because a few people found it very confusing and thought it was a novel, I just wanted to say it's a short story collection.

I am so HAPPY!! :D