Thursday, July 26, 2012

Persistent Illusions by Joseph Devon: Guest Post

In book one of Joseph Devon’s urban fantasy series, Probability Angels, we were introduced to the world of Matthew and Epp. Back then, Matthew thought he had his hands full just learning how to be an undead tester of humanity, but then Hector staged an uprising and everything Matthew thought he could take for granted fell apart.
Yet, over the past few months, a strained peace has settled over his world and Matthew is starting to feel like he can finally get back to training at his usual New York haunts.

However, things are more fragile than they appear. Nobody can see the stress lines already clawing away at the new peace. Nobody has guessed the toll that was taken on those at the forefront of their war. And, when a new tester wakes up with the power to possibly unravel the universe…well that’s when things really start to get interesting.

Come see how a zombie can protect and serve, a photographic memory can earn you a permanent place on Mount Everest, and a teenage drug addict can hold everyone’s fate in her nail-bitten fingers.
Persistent Illusions
Author: Joseph Devon
Genre: Fiction – Urban Fantasy
Published by: CreateSpace (April 27th, 2011)
Age Recommendation: 18+ for sexuality and graphic/mature themes
Format: eBook & Perfect Paperback
ISBN13: 1460957687
Number of pages: 512

Buy the book at:

What are the best ways to remain sane as a writer?

Haha...I’m not entirely sure I’m the person to be talking to about remaining sane as an author. Frankly I’m not sure any author is. I mean, when you break it down, I spend my free time writing 300,000 word long lies about the people in my head that I fully expect others to spend their free time reading. In a certain light, just creating art sort of requires some insanity.

But there are plenty of ways to keep that insanity in check, or only apply it to one’s work, and then of course there’s maintaining perseverance during the course of writing a book instead of going off the rails and giving up.

I have to say, though, that they all boil down to pretty much the same piece of advice: keep writing. There’s not much more to it, though how that piece of advice helps varies from situation to situation.

For one, writing is a helpful exercise for your well-being and your discipline. I find that when I shirk off my writing for a few days, it gets harder and harder to get back to it. But if I journal for a quick page every day, even if I don’t touch my work in progress, somehow the chain remains unbroken and I can dive back into my work with little difficulty after a hiatus.

Writing is also great because, well, it’s how works get written. Finished works. And finished works, as they start to add up, provide an amazing ballast for all of the things that can knock you around as an aspiring writer. I still get bad reviews, and they still sting, but I also have ten years of good reviews and fan emails to lean back on whenever a reviewer really takes a swing at me. And if my current work isn’t going well, I have all of the stories I’ve written in the past that I’m proud of to think about in order to get my feet under me again. The transition from trying to write one story, to trying to write a career’s worth of work, is a very important one inside the head of an author.

Writing is also important because you learn so much doing it. For me, one of the most important things I’ve taken away from years of practice is that my rewriting skills are as good, if not superior, to my first draft skills. The pressure this takes off of myself when writing that clunky mess of a first draft is immense. I used to feel like if I didn’t produce a page of perfect writing, then I wasn’t accomplishing anything for the day. Now, though, I have faith in my abilities as a rewriter to fix my mistakes. And more than that, I have faith in the process of rewriting to come up with answers that I couldn’t possibly have puzzled out during a first draft. So many thing crop up during the course of writing a book that are unforseen and unlooked for. I can’t tell you how many seemingly insurmountable scenes early on in my books have turned out to basically write themselves in the second draft because I can see the whole story by that point.

So my best advice for how to stay sane as an writer? Write.

Find and follow Joseph Devon on:

July 26th – Stephanie Wa. @ A Dream Within A Dream
July 26th – Laurie J @ Laurie’s Thoughts & Reviews
July 27th – Bobbie @ Nurture Virtual Book Tourz™ Blog
July 27th – Mindy Wa. @ Books, Books, and more Books

(Includes full tour Info)

Enter for a chance to win a Print copy of Persistent Illusions.
Available for shipping to US/CAN or UK only.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow the author on Twitter for another bonus entry.
Giveaway ends August 18th 11:59 PM Central Time.

No comments: