Saturday, July 7, 2012

My Blood Runs Blue by Stacy Eaton: Interview & Excerpt




I’m still a cop, and my blood runs blue.

Officer Kristin Greene has always felt that something was missing from her life. Although her job with the Fawn Hollow Township Police Department keeps her busy, she still feels like there is something else out there for her. She soon finds herself investigating a homicide where a young woman has had her throat ripped out. As she begins to dig for the answers, she finds herself thrown into a world she didn’t know ever existed. When the two strong and silent men walk into her life, she finds herself being pulled into a love triangle that has been going on longer than she has been alive. Who are they and why do they keep calling her Calista? Join Kristin as she fights to learn the truth about the recent murder, the two seductive men who have entered into her life and the real truth about herself.

My Blood Runs Blue is book one of the series. Blue Blood for Life... is the second book in the Series and was released on September 30, 2011. Book 3 is in progress and will be released on 2012.

My Blood Runs Blue is an adult Action/Romance Series and is intended for mature audiences
.




Blue Blood for Life

Chapter 6 - Kristin's notification
Mr. Taylor’s nostrils flared and his mouth slacked open slightly as he looked into my eyes.  “Dead, she’s dead?”
I stared at him, damn, did I forget to wipe the sign off my face that says, ‘hey man, sorry, but your daughter’s dead.’  How’d he know that?  Had someone from the scene called him already?
I turned back to Mrs. Taylor and found her staring at her husband eyes wide, mouth open as if she would speak. 
Wait, this was not going how it should.  I cleared my head and looked back at them, Mr. Taylor had moved over to stand beside his wife and they were both looking at me now, waiting. 
“Mr. & Mrs. Taylor, I am very sorry to say that your daughter Dawn is dead.” I HATED saying that sentence, but it was a sentence that was drilled into you from the moment you entered the academy.  You do not say, I’m sorry your daughter was in an accident, or your daughter did not make it.  Not in the first sentence. You can elaborate later, but that first sentence, has to be the one that they remember for the rest of their life.  The one that tells them, this is not a sick joke, and they are not just going to wake up tomorrow and find her asleep in her bed.  That sentence had to say it was real and it was final.  
They both stared back me. I saw Mrs. Taylor’s lips move, and I could have sworn I heard her say, “he found us”, but I thought it was more in my imagination until I looked into Mr. Taylor’s steel grey eyes and saw them widen and look at me quickly to see if I had heard what she said.  I managed to keep my face perfectly clear and thought I would mull over that statement later. 

Blue Blood for Life
Chapter 19 – Trent
Her adrenaline was racing, fierce and strong. I could feel every drop of it. While I had felt my share of adrenaline surges on my own, I had never felt one coming from someone else. It was amazing. She told me to grab something out of the truck as she pulled up to a house and immediately jumped out of the truck and ran to the front door. I was right behind her along with the other two cops that had followed us over.
When I got inside, Kristin was already doing compressions on the man and was looking around the room. Ian was down on his knees getting a piece of equipment out, and Kristin told me to get the pads ready. I sat down next to her and pulled them out getting them ready for her. The whole time I could feel her emotions running through her.
I watched as she looked up at the wife, how she looked over at the children that were with Stefan, heard her prayer for the man she worked on.
As she stood up and backed away, allowing the other personnel to work on him, I found I couldn’t take my eyes off her. She walked to the woman and picked up a toy, then moved into the kitchen. I followed her quietly. She spoke with the woman and handed the bunny to the little girl. The compassion moving through her system was amazing, and I could feel it. The adrenaline was dying down, but other emotions were still very strong in her.
We left the house after the man had been taken out on a stretcher. I walked next to her as she walked to the truck. As she put the red bag into the back, I felt awestruck. She turned to me, and I had never meant to say anything, hadn’t meant to do anything, but when I saw her look at me with a confused look on her face, I could not stop myself from stepping up close to her.
“I could feel your adrenaline. It was so strong, and then I could almost feel all your thoughts. You were worried about the man and the woman who was crying. You were fighting for that man’s life because he had small children and he was too young to die. I heard them; I felt them. That was incredible.” I lifted her chin with my fingers.
“That was beautiful.” I leaned down and kissed her. I didn’t care who saw us, or what was going on around us. I needed at that moment to tell her how amazed I was at all of this. How amazed I was at the feelings the bond between us had created. I would have said more, but her radio came to life and called her once again.



 
How did you start your writing career?

Laurie - I actually started my writing career the same way that I write, by the seat of my pants! I have never sat around wondering if I could write a book, I just got an idea and I sat down and wrote it.

Even now, with my third book about to be published, I don’t sit down and write out my plots or make notes. When the voices in my head get loud enough, I sit down and the words flow from me like I am possessed.  That feeling of possession is how my writing career began.

I was at work one October night in 2010, driving around in my patrol car enjoying the peace of the evening. It was a beautiful night and I had stopped to stretch my legs and get some fresh air at one of our parks. While there, something drew my attention and the story was born. I spent the next two nights driving around dwelling on those thoughts.

Finally on my next day off, I sat down and started typing. I was five chapters in when my husband asked me what I was doing and I said “I’m writing a book.”

I have been asked many times if I was a plotter or a punster, and right there give you the answer!!! 

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

Depends on when I sleep and despite the popular belief that I am too busy to sleep, I do enjoy my pillow time!  With my job as a police officer, my word schedule rotates. For a few weeks I will be on day shift, then for a few more weeks I will be on nightshift. While my shifts are twelve hour shifts – you have to take into account that I get up at 4 am for a day shift – leave around 5 am and generally don’t get home until 6:30-7 pm at night and that’s if I’m not late. By the time I get home, drag myself inside, shower and deal with my dogs, I’m beat.

The easiest way to explain when I write, kind of goes back to your first question. I write when I can and by the seat of my pants when my characters are so loud I can’t rest.

Just the other day, two characters were working out a scene in my head. I could not do anything to get them to shut up, until I put them on paper. Once I sat down and typed up the 3400 words, my mind got relaxed.  

My family does understand that when I am writing, a bomb could blow up and I won’t even notice. If they walk in the room and my fingers are still flying, they will just walk back out.

Where do you research for your books?

In Life.  I research all my books in life.  As my books are all set in the world of law enforcement, my career had given me the research that I needed.  Although I do have some people to go to if I need some very specific information. If I am doing some specific with firearms, I’ll ask my husband who is a gun nut and a firearms instructor. Or explosives? Well I have a friend who is on the bomb squad. I recently went through an Arson Training class and a have a pretty intense scene in one of my new books about a house fire.

The technical stuff, I verify, the rest… well it is in my head because I’ve been there, done that and I have the t-shirt in my drawer to prove it!  

Have any of your characters been modeled after yourself?

Lol…. I have to laugh at this because I think in every one of my stories; there is a character that is molded after me.  It’s not that I think I’m great, I don’t! It’s because I can identify with the character in very deep ways. I can understand why they would feel the way they would or say the things they say. 

In the My Blood Runs Blue Series, Officer Kristin Greene could be my twin. Strong, confident and controlling!  Yeah… those are her bad traits! Lol…  In all seriousness, the people who do know me, and have read my books know that Kristin is me.  

Entice us, what future projects are you considering?

Well I am about to launch a new book that jumps out of the Paranormal genre and into drama. It’s called Whether I’ll Live or Die and is a very intense and gripping story about Domestic Violence. It will be released on July 13th.

I am working on books 3 and 4 of the My Blood Runs Blue Series, and while I know the basics of book 3, there are a few things I haven’t been able to completely figure out, so I keep pulling it out to work on it, and then setting it back down because I can’t get through the glass wall in front of me.

I have a new series I am working on about Elite Guardian Angels. I am enjoying that one. There is a contemporary romance sitting about two thirds done waiting for my attention and two more paranormal romance novels, one that mixes the vamps with the wolves.

I’m not sure which one will come first… I’d like to get book 3 out for the series, but the characters are not cooperating right now. So… we shall see.

What do you do to unwind and relax?

I think the number one thing I use to relax is music.  I always have music playing no matter what I am doing. I think sometimes I use it to quiet my mind. Other times it keeps me company.

I love to read and I try to do a little of that every day. I read quickly so I go through books fast.  I also enjoy photography, but have little time to do that these days.

My newest way to relax is go to my Tae Kwon Do class. Many years ago I took marital arts and I loved it.  My daughter is taking it now and watching her reminded me of how much I missed it.  So I just started back. I love being able to focus deeply on something and let loose my frustrations and anger on the targets. I have always been a physical person so taking the classes again is helping in more ways than one!

Thank you Laurie for allowing me to visit with your readers!!! It has been a pleasure joining you today! 

Stacy is a full-time Police Officer who enjoys crime scene investigation above all else. She also owns a business that deals with helping people get the awareness out for the causes they care most about. She is a mother of two and her husband is also in law enforcement. She is very much into photography and carries her Nikon Digital SLR with her almost everywhere, just in case. She also has two Shiloh Shepherd dogs and loves to play catch with them.

Stacy uses her experience at work to make the stories more believable. Weaving bits of crime solving knowledge into her stories of fiction to make them more lifelike. She writes using a unique style that keeps you in the minds of all the important characters. Switching back and forth from mind to mind to keep the readers aware of what each character is feeling and why they do the things they do.
Her first book, My Blood Runs Blue was the start of her writing career.  It brings the world of law enforcement into the paranormal world of vampires. It is a suspenseful adult series that will keep you guessing from chapter to chapter. Book one, My Blood Runs Blue, was published April 2011 and is currently available in paperback, hardcover and e-book editions. Book two of the series, entitled Blue Blood For Life was released September 2011 and like book 1 made International Best Selling lists on Amazon very quickly.  The third book of this series is in the plot and characters development stage. She is hoping to have it completed and published in the winter of 2012.

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Website  |  Goodreads

 

1 comment:

Stacy Eaton said...

Laurie - Thank you so much for allowing me to visit!!! Look forward to your reader's comments!