Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wolf's Trap by W.D. Gagliani: MY REVIEW

Wolf's Trap
(Blurb from Night Owl Reviews)

It takes a beast to catch a killer!
Nick Lupo is a good cop—with the instincts of a great detective…or maybe a wolf. Lupo has a lot in common with wolves, which is only natural considering he’s a werewolf. He’s battled the creature inside him for years, but now there’s another predator in the area. A bloodthirsty serial killer is leaving a gruesome trail of victims, and it’s up to Lupo to track him down and stop the slaughter. Will Lupo dare to unleash one beast to stop another?

My rating: 4 Stars

Nick Lupo is a homicide detective. Bitten when he was a boy by a werewolf, Nick has always tried to restrain his beast; it is a constant battle. He worries that he will be forced into a change, and thus reveal his carefully guarded secret. He has tried for years to understand and control his condition but the results of his efforts have been inconsistent, usually failing.

For years, Nick has led a solitary existence, ever since he accidentally killed his first love, Caroline. When an unlikely friendship develops between Nick and a vivacious call girl, he becomes cautiously optimistic that perhaps this time he can control his inner beast.

When Nick’s friend is viciously murdered, he is overwhelmed by grief and guilt. Somebody from his past wants Nick dead – eventually. But first, he aims to make him suffer.

This story is told from Nick’s perspective, and I enjoyed the way in which it unfolded. It jumps back and forth between the past and the present several times but I found it easy to follow, and thought both story lines were told quite well. While I could have done without some of the redundancy regarding Nick’s tremendous burden of guilt, I actually enjoyed the second half of the book even more than the first; the clicks to flip the pages on my kindle got faster, always a sure sign of a good book for me. A warning, though, this book is graphically gruesome in some places. I enjoy well-scripted horror, always have. This is the best book of its kind I have read in a while.

Reviewed for Night Owl Reviews

View all my reviews


PuttPutt1198Eve said...

I enjoy the psychic element in books so this one sounds like it's just the thing for me!

WDGagliani said...

Hi Laurie,

I just stumbled onto your blog and review of my novel WOLF'S TRAP! Hey, thanks for reading and posting -- and I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I really appreciate the compliments! I hope you'll be drawn to read the next three installments, as well... and the fifth, which is in progress. Please feel free to check out my website and drop me a line anytime on FB or Twitter. Thanks again... and howl on!