Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Witches Brew by Heidi Kling: Interview

YA Paranormal

The Spellspinners of Melas County is a fantasy YA romance series about a witch, a warlock, and their fight for their forbidden but prophesized love.
Once soulmates, the witch and warlock covens of the California coast have been estranged for a century. Raised to hate each other, their teenagers meet in the Solstice Stones, a magical battleground where they draw energy from each other to maintain their balance. 16 year olds Logan and Lily have spent years training for their first Stones - only to discover just days before that the enemy may not be what either of them had thought.
In Witch's Brew, Lily is torn between her feelings for Logan and her coven's need to know who or what he is. The young lovers race against time, their distrust for each other, and the powerful influence of their elders, to unravel the mystery of their pasts before their future is destroyed.

What's Cool from Coliloquy:  In Witch's Brew, Lily and Logan's fate is already decided, but Heidi explores several different possible pathways for how they get there. She shares scenes that wouldn't normally fit in a book format and gives readers more precious moments between the two young lovers. As the series progresses, you'll see some normal narrative forms, interspersed with smaller scenes, alternate points of view, and a lot of "what if" scenarios.

Kindle   |  Goodreads  |  Nook  |  Coliloquy

Welcome, Heidi!! Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm excited to get this opportunity to pick your brain and find out more about you.  :)  How did you start your writing career?

I started writing and selling short stories for 10 cents a pop when I was 10 years old. Luckily, I had nice neighbors.

I actually wrote songs before I wrote stories. Unfortunately, those didn't sell as well. ;)

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I'd love to travel back to the Orkney Islands in Scotland where my husband and I went a few years back. There's  a magical circle of stones called The Ring of Brogdar I'd love to further research. The setting is meaningful in a future Spellspinners installment and I just loved the friendly Scottish people and the amazing landscapes. Ring of Brogdar, Orkney Isles, Scotland

Ring of Brogdar, Orkney Isles, Scotland

Does travel play in the writing of your books?

It does! My debut novel SEA takes place in post-tsunami Indonesia, and  several of my Spellspinners are hitting the road pretty soon here.

Tell us about your current release.

THE GLEANING is the second book in THE SPELLSPINNERS OF MELAS COUNTY. Lily and Logan must face each other in the Solstice Stones in a bi-annual magical fight called THE GLEANING. There are serious twists,  reveals, betrayals as well as an exciting new boy, who may or may not be what he seems. I explored a "dark" and a "light" path for Lily. (But of course you won't know which one is which until you read it.)  I'm so excited to release this installment!

Tell us about your next release.

I contributed a dystopian short story to TWO AND TWENTY DARK TALES, which comes out this fall, 2012. It's a modern retelling of a Mother Goose poem, titled "Life in a Shoe". It's a bit of HANDMAID'S TALE /FAHRENHEIT 451 in theme.

What was your first sale as an author?

My debut novel SEA came out with Penguin/Putnam June, 2010. So exciting!

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I write in the mornings when my kids are at school, and sometimes revise in the evening.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

For my SPELLSPINNER series, the hardest part is making sure all the different choice points, or paths, have all the relevant information leading to the next installment. It gets tricky because each path is so different. I have to think of creative ways to organically insert the material the other path already knows so no one is left going, "Wait, what  happened?"

Where do you research for your books?

Most of my books involve elements of the sea, and are set on or near the ocean--we live right over the coastal mountains from beautiful Nor Cal coast, and go as much as we can. Sunbathing counts as research, yes?

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

My husband is super supportive and our kids are, too. Our 9 year-old son thinks it's cool that mom writes books. :)

Thanks so much Heidi! it's been great and I wish you every success.

Heidi Kling is the bestselling author of WITCH'S BREW (Colloquy) and SEA (Penguin), as well as several short-stories and essays.

Witch's Brew Spellspinners 1 is the first in a ten-book serialized saga about estranged witches and warlocks set in a modern day beach town.

Remember the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books we loved as kids? Well, The Spellspinners of Melas County series is written in a high tech version of that format called "active fiction".

You can find out more about it at Coliloquy

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Amazon  |  Goodreads 

Coliloquy  |  Twitter 

 One digital copy of Witches Brew  (US Only)
Ends July 14, 2012


Joanne said...

I remember the "Choose Your Adventure" books. They were great. This book sounds fantastic. Can't wait to read it to see more of Lily and Logan.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

This sounds so wonderful - I love her other books!

Lissette Martinez said...

Love the blurb, I love traveling, too! Thanks for the giveaway!

Darlene said...

The cover is very eye-catching! Thanks for the giveaway!!

angeljenn said...

I love reading books in a series, especially the 1st book,,thanks for the giveaway!

wwe11 said...

This book sounds really good.

Denise Z said...

Oh please let me know when you are leaving for you trip to see the Ring of Brogdar! I need plenty of time to stowaway in your luggage to tag along. LOL That picture is incredible. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share with us.

lexie said...

thank you!!!!