Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tyfear by Bonnie Wright : Sneak Peek Excerpt & Interview

YA Fantasy


Tyfear is hatched the exact same way as other dragons. But something's wrong. He can't breathe flame. Shunned and humiliated by most of his fellow dragons, Tyfear goes off in search of Rojen, the god of fire, to ask for the power to breathe flame. But the minute he leaves the safety of his home, danger comes rushing towards him. He gets captured by humans. Now he has to figure out a way to escape them and get his fire breath.

EXCERPT

His left wing suddenly screamed in pain as something long and sharp went through it. Tyfear yelled out. The arrow hit some type of nerve and now Tyfear couldn’t move his wing. Tyfear and Kendra both fell straight down, the air blasting in their faces and making their eyes water and their screaming mouths dry up. They heard the voice of Yuya calling out to them getting smaller and smaller.


They landed with Kendra on top of Tyfear. His scaly back hit and broke the tree branches and he landed on relatively soft ground. Tyfear still suffered some pain but it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. He felt like he maintained a bruise but his tough skin made it so that nothing was broken. Kendra had Tyfear’s belly as a cushion. Though it didn’t make the best cushion in the world, it helped her not break anything. She groaned in pain.

Tyfear just wanted to stay lying down. He whimpered from his wound and he wanted nothing more than to close his eyes and fall asleep. He made himself comfortable on the soft ground.

But his body started to sink further and further downwards. Kendra sat up, her eyes wide in fear.


“Quicksand! Ren, get up! Get up!”


By this time Tyfear was already too deep to escape. His belly went completely under and before Kendra could do anything her knees were grabbed and being pulled into the sand like fish being pulled out of the water with a net. Their hearts rose all the way to their throats.

“Ren! Ren!”

“My name’s not Ren! It’s Tyfear!”


INTERVIEW

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

      Getting myself to sit down and just do it. I have tons of ideas in my head but having those ideas and constructing them into detailed sentences that everyone can understand are two different things. Discipline is key to success for anything, so I try to set a goal everyday. I usually force myself to write at least 500 words of fiction.
 
 
      Who are your books published with?


             Xynobooks. I must admit this is my first book and they are wanting to publish it. I am forever grateful to them that they’re helping me fulfill my dream as a writer. Sure, you should do most of the work yourself when talking about achieving your dreams but there is nothing wrong with having help.
 
 
      How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?


             I don’t really have a set formula. I daydream all the time and some of my daydreams get jotted down on paper. When creating characters, I like to make little notes about who they are. What are their likes and dislikes? What are their goals in life? Hobbies? Personalities? History? I even consider what their orientation might be. And after I’m done creating what I call a base of a character, I put them in a scenario in my head and see what happens. If Bob, who likes to fish, is on a boat with Sarah, who dreams of being an actress, what would happen? Then all the possibilities run through my head. Maybe Bob will fish and silently listen to Sarah’s endeavors. Maybe Sarah will mention something about acting like a mermaid and Bob would suggest how she might act it out. He does know a lot about fish after all. In the end, a plot slowly forms and that’s how I do it sometimes.
 
 
 
If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?


             I hope to write a story about dragons. I have always loved dragons since I was very small. When I was a girl, I didn’t want to be a princess. I wanted to be a dragon. My fascination with the mystical beasts is the reason I wrote Tyfear.
 
 
 
Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?


             I’m very much an introvert and my friends know it. I’m shy to the point that I hardly say anything at all. It’s probably due to how much I daydream, though I wish I was a little more extraverted. I’m still working on that.
 
 
 
Do you have any special routines or rituals?


             I walk continuously around my neighborhood block. Most people seem to think I’m doing it for the exercise but it’s actually more of a comfort thing. When I move I can think easier. I don’t know how to explain it except that it’s like when I’m standing still, it’s harder to daydream. When I’m moving, it’s like a well built machine just turned on. Everything is running smoothly. It feels alive. My brain has a purpose, just like a machine does. It sort of reminds me of the movie Hugo, now that I look at what I’m writing.
 
 
 
Use no more than two sentences. Why should we read your book?


             Tyfear is an outcast, like many people feel at times but he finds out that he’s stronger than everyone gives him credit for. I think my book will help you care more about how you judge yourself rather than how other people judge you.
 
 
 
Entice us, what future projects are you considering?


             I have several ideas that I’m excited about. One is about an arachnophobic boy who finds out he has the power over spiders. Another is about a woman who finds out that the son she adopted attracts magical creatures. And one is about a man who can literally see his shoulder angel and his angel doesn’t let him get away with anything bad. The man rebels by going completely dark side and only listening to his shoulder devil.

WHERE TO FIND BONNIE WRIGHT
Twitter  |  Blog
Thanks for Looking!

1 comment:

kara seat said...

Bonnie is my sister and she is amazing!!! Can't wait to read the whole story!!!