Sunday, June 17, 2012

Two Halves by Marta Szemik : My Review

Two Halves
Twenty-one-year-old Sarah is a child of a human mother and a vampire father and has suppressed her dark side with serums. The only memory of her mother is when Sarah killed her, soon after birth. Of her father, nothing—just a hatred for his vampire traits that made her kill her own mother.

When a disturbing nightmare foretelling her bleak future stirs the superhuman traits, underworld creatures are beaconed. On the run with William, a man she knows from her dreams, Sarah tries to learn what’s been hidden from her, for a good reason. Had she known her destiny, she may have continued with the serums that kept her hidden.







MY REVIEW
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Sarah has spent her young life attempting to suppress the traits inherited from her father. She is a living miracle – a child half vampire, half human. Then she meets a young man who seems to step right out of her dreams. Immediately drawn together, the pair is soon on the run, one step ahead of a trio of evil seekers. William and Sarah are preordained to restore balance in both the Underworld and the world of the living. However, forces are at work to prevent them from fulfilling the prophecy.


The premise of this book was exciting and technically, the story flowed smoothly. I thought the characters were richly portrayed; their motives sound and believable. William seemed too perfect. I think a couple of flaws would have made him more remarkable. I just thought he was a bit bland. My personal preference would have been to stick with a single point of view throughout. For me, the frequent narrative changes were disruptive to my overall enjoyment of the story. I also disliked the continual chest thumping that went on. For me, it just seemed overdone.


I enjoyed the adventure and thought the ending was well-done. I was afraid, for a while, that I would be left dangling with a cliff-hanger ending, but happily that was not the case. I think the mid-section could have been tightened up a bit, because, at times, the action seemed to bog down unnecessarily. This story should hit the sweet spot for a wide demographic of fantasy romance lovers.

Laurie-J
Reviewed for Night Owl Reviews

View all my reviews

No comments: