Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dead Letter Office by Kira Snyder: Interview




When Celia's father is killed in Afghanistan, she moves with her mother to New Orleans, the city where her father grew up. Struggling to adjust and haunted by troubling dreams, Celia finds comfort in new friends like Tilly, a practicing witch, and Donovan, the son of police detective. On Halloween, bizarre supernatural occurrences rock the city. Celia meets the mysterious Luc and finds a letter, over a hundred years old, apparently addressed to her.
 
The paranormal repercussions of that night continue when Celia learns that Luc is in fact the restless spirit of a young man murdered in 1854, only able to assume solid form at night. And then, to her shock, Celia finds that the letter, which describes the suspected murder of a man in 1870, contains uncanny parallels to the present-day death of Abel Sims, a homeless veteran.
 
With help from Luc, Tilly, and Donovan, Celia races to solve the murder using the letter and both magical and forensic clues.
 
A vengeful spirit appears to be haunting Celia, Lucâ's murderer may have returned from the dead, and many more letters have appeared, all asking for Celia's help.

Kindle  |  Goodreads  |  Coliliquy  |  Nook





Thanks for coming by today, Kira.  I'm thrilled to get this chance to find out more about you and your book!!



·         How did you start your writing career?

As I kid I wrote all kinds of stories and plays, and never really stopped. After college, I worked in the theater for a while, and then wrote and designed computer games before transitioning to screenwriting – it’s been a blast to combine all those types of writing in Dead Letter Office. I currently write for the Syfy TV show “Alphas,” and before that wrote for “Eureka” and the cult hit vampire drama “Moonlight.”

·         Tell us about your current release.

Dead Letter Office is an urban fantasy/Southern Gothic tale full of magic, mystery, murder… and hot ghosts! It’s the first book of the Parish Mail series of young adult “active fiction” ebooks published by Coliloquy. “Active fiction” in DLO means you make decisions for the heroine at a few key points, which allows you to shape your reading experience: does Celia go to a swanky Halloween party with the popular clique? Or does she hang out in the French Quarter with a quirky new friend?

As the story begins, we meet Celia right after she’s moved to New Orleans with her mom. Smart and strong but struggling to adjust to the death of her father, Celia quickly makes friends with Tilly, a practicing witch, and Donovan, the son of police detective. On Halloween, bizarre supernatural occurrences rock the city. Celia meets the mysterious Luc and finds a letter, over a hundred years old, apparently addressed to her… and her life will never be the same.

·         Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

I listen mostly to classical music when I write, but anything without lyrics can work. Sometimes I use music to inspire me: when I was writing a play about the female pirates Anne Bonny and Mary Read, I listened to a lot of The Chieftains.

·         What would we find under your bed?

Storage boxes full of random stuff like shoes and wrapping paper. And dust bunnies big as your head. I’m not the best housekeeper.

·         What is it that you like to do when you’re not reading/writing?

I like yoga and going for a run, swing-dancing with my fella… Also playing videogames like Uncharted, Portal, and Left 4 Dead. And I recently picked up the ukulele, I’m sure to the great annoyance of my neighbors!

·         Entice us, what future projects are you considering?

I’m hard at work on Parish Mail Book 2! I’m really excited about it, in particular how I’m getting to use what I’ve learned from my publisher Coliloquy about what readers enjoyed about Dead Letter Office. The central mystery in Parish Mail 2 – a very creepy one with roots in the Civil War – will offer more opportunities to play detective: which clue should Celia follow? Which suspect should she chase? Readers also will get a chance to spend more time with their favorite characters, but a couple of new faces (or are they old ones…?) will threaten to make things very difficult for Celia and the people she loves. I’m also kicking around a sci fi YA story idea, and the episode of “Alphas” that I wrote will air this summer on Syfy when the show’s second season premieres.

·         Do you have a Website or Blog?

Yes! You can find me online at http://what-fresh-hell-is-this.blogspot.com/ and on Twitter at @sugarjonze. I love hearing from readers, so please do look me up.




I'm a writer, currently for ALPHAS on Syfy and the PARISH MAIL series of young adult Active Fiction ebooks (Book 1, DEAD LETTER OFFICE, is available now on Kindle, Nook, and Android!). I write TV, features, fiction, plays, and design and write for computer games. And occasionally sleep.




One Ebook copy of The Dead Letter Office  (US ONLY)

8 comments:

Wendy Lohr said...

Great interview! This book sounds really intriguing and I've been wanting to try out the "active fiction" format. :) Oh, and I'd be interested in the Kindle format, please.

Thanks for hosting this awesome giveaway!

Wendy @ Escape Into Fiction

f3b60128-64d5-11e1-a47e-000bcdcb471e said...

Thanks for the giveaway! I'm a Kindle girl.

isabelli3619 (at) aol (dot) com

Joanne said...

Great interview. This book sounds fantastic. Can't wait to read it. PDF format would be fine.

e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

haileyhale said...

Great interview. The concept of the book is intriguing. I can't wait to read this one.AML

liya said...

I loved the interview! This seems like an interesting book! Kindle for me.

mdh0115[at]gmail[dot]com

Holly Bryan said...

Great interview, Laurie! Kira sounds like a really neat person :) I have had my eye on this book for a while and I reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy wanna read it!!! Should I be the lucky winner, I would want the format for the Kindle (.mobi, I think...). Thanks!

Jenn said...

I haven't read this genre before, but this book sounds like a fun read. Would love to win.

I'm a kindle girl too :)

Darlene said...

I love urban fantasy. Thanks for the giveaway! I'd love a Kindle copy, thanks.