Friday, June 22, 2012

Call of the Sea by Rebecca Hart: Interview

Paranormal Romance



Elysandra Winters has always yearned for a life of adventure on the rolling seas and is willing to do whatever it takes to fulfill her dream. When her Privateer father continually refuses to allow his only daughter to sail, Ellie defies him, disguises herself as a boy, and goes in search of a captain who will give her a chance to prove her worth.

Thanks to the cursed selkie blood coursing through his veins, Daniel O'Rourke needs the sea to survive. After giving up on his humanity and spending three years in seal form, he decides to give his human side another chance. Daniel goes in search of a job and a sense of normalcy, earning himself a position aboard Captain Winter’s ship, The Siren's Call. However, his new captain’s first assignment has nothing at all to do with sailing, and everything to do with his headstrong young daughter.

Years later, when the leader of a band of bloodthirsty pirates murders Captain Winters, Daniel and Elysandra’s lives come crashing back together with the force of a hurricane. Both experts in deception, they must find a way to trust each other in order to quell the raging storm between them or have any hope of hunting down the captain’s killer.
   Paperback BN  |  Barnes and Noble  

 Inkspell (BEST BUY! 30% OFF for a limited time)

  Amazon  |  Paperback Amazon


How did you start your writing career?


I guess that depends on what constitutes a writing career. I have been writing stories since high school, letting people read them since a creative writing workshop at the local community college, submitting them for publication (and possible ridicule) at the end of 2010 when I found the Duotrope Digest website, and had my first story published in Spring of last year. I’ve pretty much always enjoyed writing, but have only been taking it seriously (working on the craft, submitting work) for the past two years.


Where do you dream of traveling to and why?


I have a couple of those, actually, but I’ll just stick to the “biggie”. That would be Ireland because it’s where my family comes from on both sides. I’ve always felt I was meant to go there, and dreamt of that since I was a little kid. I even have a tendency to write Irish characters into my stories. I’m sure a big part of that is due to my interest in my family’s heritage and history and my desire to see and experience Ireland. That’s a bucket list item, for sure.


Tell us about your current release.


Call of the Sea is a historical paranormal romance featuring a headstrong tomboy turned pirate named Ellie, and a male shapeshifter (selkie) named Daniel. The original version was a short story I had planned to submit for a pirate tale anthology but my submission somehow got lost in cyberspace, and by the time I’d learned this, the publisher had closed for submissions. Since my muse didn’t seem quite done with Daniel and Ellie, as evidenced by the scenes he kept tossing into my brain at all hours, I decided to expand the 10,000 word story into a novel -- and Call of the Sea was born.


Tell us about your next release.


I hope my next release will be the first of a three (or more) novel fantasy series titled The Machenwood Chronicles, but I never know what my muse has in store. He can be very single minded, intrusive, fickle, and quite distracting when he puts his mind to it, so if he gives me a different plotline to obsess over, one never knows what story may spill forth next. I try to keep readers up to date with what I am working on with regular blog posts (http://rebeccahartwriting.wordpress.com), so you can keep up with what I’m working on there.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?


The hardest part of writing for me is most definitely finding the time to do it. Well, sometimes finding the energy, too, but mostly I’m the victim of never enough time. With three kids, pets, a boyfriend and a full time day job, I don’t spend near enough time actually writing as I should or would like to. I squeeze in a few hours a week in the evenings, and try to spend a few more hours during the weekend typing away on the keyboard, as well. It doesn’t always work out that way, though.


Do you have critique partners or beta readers?

I don’t have a any specific “crit partners”, but I belong to an amazing group of female writer’s called the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pens, and get so much feedback, support and plain ole understanding from the other members there. I also have a great group of beta readers, who have been sworn to always tell the truth (just like George Washington). They aren’t writers, just some friends who enjoy reading. They read my finished work and give me what I hope is the reader’s honest perspective. My stories would not be near as polished as they are without them.


How do you describe your writing style?


I have had a few people mention my style reminds them of Diana Galbadon, and one or two reference E.L. Doctorow when trying to compare my writing style to a known author, but I have to confess I’ve not read anything written by either of them to know how close the comparisons come. I hope my writing style is engaging. I try to keep the reader right in the thick of the story, give them the window with which to experience everything right alongside the characters. I really want them to “live” the story.


Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?


Absolutely. What I listen to depends pretty heavily on what I’m writing. Most of my stories can be attributed to one or two core songs. For Call of the Sea, I had the soundtracks for the three Pirates of the Caribbean movies on the iPod Shuffle. I think the music really lends to my ability to sink into the moment and really portray the characters emotions, especially in the more pivotal scenes.


What was the scariest moment of your life?


Interesting question. The scariest moment for me was when my oldest child, Steven was just a toddler. I was sitting in the back yard with one of the other mothers in the apt. complex and our boys, both about the same age, were playing in the grass. Steven had started crying and waddled over to me. When I bent to pick him up, he exhaled a huge breath right into my face. All I could smell was lighter fluid. Someone had BBQed the night before and left their bottle of fluid on the ground in the yard. Steven had apparently taken a giant swig. We rushed him to the local hospital and he recovered with no ill effects, but I’d have to mark that as the scariest moment by far.


Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words.


Magical, difficult, and invigorating.

Rebecca a self made IT geek, single parent and reformed RPG/gaming junkie living in the rolling hills of upstate NY (you know-where you can smell cows and it takes a ten minute drive to buy a gallon of milk).

When she's not at work with my head buried in a PC, she's at home or camp with her nose buried in a laptop writing.

Website  |  Blog  |  Twitter  (@rebelhart69)



2 comments:

The Tome Keeper said...

Great interview!

Rebecca Hart said...

Laurie:

Thanks so much for having me on your blog today!

Rebecca