Monday, May 7, 2012

Spirit of the Sky by Paty Jager: Interview & Excerpt



To save her from oppression, he must save her whole tribe. To give her his heart, he must desert his career…
When the US Army forces the Nimiipuu from their land, Sa-qan, the eagle spirit entrusted with watching over her tribe, steps in to save her mortal niece. Challenging the restrictions of the spirit world, Sa-qan assumes human form and finds an unexpected ally in a handsome cavalry officer.
Certain she is a captive, Lt. Wade Watts, a Civil War veteran, tries to help the blonde woman he finds sheltering a Nez Perce child. While her intelligent eyes reveal she understands his language, she refuses his help. But when Wade is wounded, it is the beautiful Sa-qan who tends him. Wade wishes to stop the killing—Sa-qan will do anything to save her people.

Can their differences save her tribe? Or will their love spell the end of the Nimiipuu?




    The plants parted, revealing the contorted face of a soldier squinting down the length of a rifle pointed at them. Girl of Many Hearts squeaked. Sa-qan drew the child behind her, using her body as a shield. As a spirit she could not be killed by a mortal’s bullet.
    A man dressed in buckskin pants and a soldier’s shirt with leader markings appeared behind the soldier pointing the rifle at them.
    “No, Private! Leave them be!” The command rang with authority. The man’s dark eyes, shaded by the brim of a hat, narrowed, staring at her. “We’re only after the warriors. Go.” He pushed the soldier from the water and stepped closer.
    “Are you a captive?” He held out his hand not holding a weapon. “I can help you. Take you from this.” His voiced dropped to a deeper, calming tone.
    Sa-qan met his gaze. Should she let him know she spoke his tongue? The compassion in his eyes was a harsh contradiction to the violence still raging through the village. She shook her head and pressed Girl of Many Hearts farther into the river.
    He took another step forward. “I can help you. We’re going to keep after these people until they give in. I know the army. They don’t give up.” The sorrow and weariness in his tone puzzled her.
    She thought all soldiers thrived on attacking and harassing the Nimiipuu.
    “I can get you away from this now, before it gets worse.” He took another step.
    His nostrils flared as the stinging scent of burning hide filled the air along with terrified high-pitched screams.
   “Damn!” The soldier lunged out of the river and ran toward a group of teepees being lit on fire.




How did you start your writing career?

My writing career actually started with a short fiction story for a parenting magazine and then I morphed into writing freelance human interest stories for the local papers while I learned the craft of writing novels.


Tell us about your current release.
My current release is Spirit of the Sky. It’s the third book of my historical paranormal romance set among the Nez Perce Indians when they are being chased 1400 miles trying to avoid being placed on a reservation. The heroine is a Nez Perce spirit and the hero is a cavalry officer. This book and the first two in the trilogy are the books of my heart. I grew up in the Wallowa Valley that was the winter and summer homes of the Lake Nimiipuu(Nez Perce) and I’ve always had empathy for them and being chased from their home.
My next release will be a self published book that will be the beginning of a four book action/adventure series with a heroine who is a doctor of anthropology and a hero who is an undercover DEA agent.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
I write during the day usually from 9am to noon then 1pm to 4pm. The early morning hours are for social media and promotion the evenings are for my husband.

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

My husband of 33 years has always been supportive of my writing because he learned early on that if I’m not writing I’m not happy. And he likes to come home to a happy wife. ;) He, however, doesn’t read my books. The only thing he reads are tractor manuals, auction flyers, and how to books.

Who are your books published with?

My trilogy is published by Wild Rose Press as well as a contemporary western and a short story. All my backlist and my new books have been self published. I enjoy the freedom of getting covers I love and having books available as soon as I get them polished and ready to read.

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?
In the past I’ve done what I call stewing and brewing where characters and the plot kind of swirls around in my head for a while, then I write a half a page to a full page about each main character(hero & heroine), a snippet about important secondary characters, use a conflict grid to scope out the story line and then when I know a beginning, middle, and end, I start writing. Recently I attended a workshop by Larry Brooks that started me thinking I may need to add another step to my arsenal to make my books even better.

What book are you reading?
The Psychopath Next Door by Martha Stout, PhD to learn more about villains for my upcoming mystery series.
Gemma Halliday’s Alibi in High Heels
Susan Lyon’s Heat Wave.
Castle
The Voice
Revenge
The Finder
Harry’s Law
NCIS
The Sing Off



I’m giving away a $5 Amazon gift certificate to a lucky commenter on this blog post.
Each blog stop has a picture of an eagle in the post. Follow the tour and send me the number of different pictures you saw while following the tour. If there is more than one correct entry I’ll draw a winner on May 21st  to receive a $25 gift certificate to either Barnes and Nobles or Amazon, a handmade custom ereader cover, and chocolate. patyjag@gmail.com



     Wife, mother, grandmother, and the one who cleans pens and delivers the hay; award winning author Paty Jager and her husband currently ranch 350 acres when not dashing around visiting their children and grandchildren. She not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.

     She is a member of RWA, EPIC , and COWG. She’s had eleven books and a short story published so far and is venturing into the new world of self-publishing ebooks.

     Her contemporary Western, Perfectly Good Nanny won the 2008 Eppie for Best Contemporary Romance and Spirit of the Mountain, a historical paranormal set among the Nez Perce, garnered 1st place in the paranormal category of the Lories Best Published Book Contest. Spirit of the Lake was a finalist in the Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence.
     You can learn more about her at her blog  her website or on Facebook; and twitter;  @patyjag.

10 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Thanks for having me here today, Laurie!

L.C.D. said...

your husband sounds like my father. my 3 siblings and i went in together and bought him the manual for his newest toy, a kubota, last christmas. he reads it like it's the most fascinating thing ever. much like i do with a new book.

your books sounds great. i haven't read many american indian books. and the one that's next sounds just as great with the doc and the dea agent. best of luck.

Chrisbails said...

Great interview. Loved the excerpt. This is a new author for me and will be adding to my must try/buy list. I love to read and always looking for new books and authors to check out.
Not much of a TV watcher, except for True Blood. I am more of a reader. I just got a couple of Gemma Halliday's books from Amazon for my kindle. Thanks for the giveawy.
christinebails@yahoo.com

Paty Jager said...

HI L.C.D., Yes, my son is the same way. In school he'd get mad because the teacher wanted him to read a fiction book for a book report when he wanted to read non-fiction books about how things worked. Thank you for stopping in and commenting!

Hi Chris, Thanks! I hope you enjoy the books and let me know. I'm reading Gemma Halliday right now.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Paty! I'm sooooooo pleased to see this entire trilogy available. I love this series and can't wait to get my hands on this one too! Hope your tour goes well!

Paty Jager said...

Hey Genene! Thanks! I'm glad everyone can finally have all three books.

❤ Stephanie said...

Hi Paty! Lovely interview — the excerpt to Spirit of the Sky hooked me in as well. Can't wait to read it! Thanks for the giveaway :)

Stephanie
thestephanieloves AT gmail DOT com

Paty Jager said...

Stephanie is the winner of today's blog tour prize! I'll be contacting you.

MK said...

'Stewing and brewing' - sounds appropriate for many of us I would think. Nice interview!

Paty Jager said...

MK, Yes, I do my best work while stewing and brewing. Thanks for stopping in!