Monday, May 28, 2012

The Genie Ignites by Kellyann Zuzulo: Character Interview

Paranormal Romance

Girl meets genie. They fall in love. Girl gets killed. Genie gets cursed. Three millennia later, she’s reincarnated as a smart, somewhat sardonic 21st century editor who can’t remember the great love of her existence. The genie however, will never forget her.

Zubis is the cursed and captivating genie who stars in THE GENIE IGNITES: Book One of the Zubis Chronicles, the new paranormal romance by Kellyann Zuzulo. We caught up to him via satellite at a five-star resort in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia on the Red Sea. He appears quite comfortable sitting on a padded chaise lounge in a steel gray, linen tunic, open at the neck, and pair of loose, white, gauzy trousers. He is barefoot.

Reporter: What are you doing here on the northeast coast of Saudi Arabia?

Zubis: [appears solemn, though curlicue glyphs, barely covered by a fall of dense black hair along his brow, have begun to glow.] I await the dissolution of a curse that unjustly bound me to this human dimension.

Reporter: How long have you been waiting?

Zubis: [a fleeting mist of sorrow tightens his brow] I was condemned in the time of Solomon by the king himself and have waited 3,000 years for freedom. But I feel a loosening of my fetters as Bethany draws near [a glint returns to his golden eyes]

Reporter: Tell me, how did you and Ms. Bethany O’Brien meet?

Zubis: [his gaze grows distant] We met in Solomon’s Temple when she was the Asima Uruk, the priestess assigned to learn the ways of the jinn. [the glyphs along his hairline glow brighter and begin to spark.] Thank Creation, she has returned in the divine form of Bethany. She will remember me. I know she will. [he waves a hand.] Please move on. This becomes too personal.

Reporter: [the room grows suddenly very warm] What are you drinking?

Zubis: Fresh water from my own well with preserved lemons. Very refreshing.

Reporter: If I came to visit early in the morning would you impress me as being more like a chirpy bird or a grumpy bear?

Zubis:  Chirpy bird? Grumpy bear? [one eyebrow raises in an expression that is both menacing and dashing] You do know I am of the race of jinn, do you not?

Reporter: [nodding]

Zubis: Next question.

Reporter: What one word best describes you?

Zubis: Devoted

Reporter: What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
Zubis: That when I love, I love completely. There is no expanse of burning desert or raging sea that will keep me from the one I love. Though years pass like grains of sand in an hourglass, my love will never fade. That I would kill for love. That I would die for love.
Reporter: Okay. I said one thing, but that will do.
Zubis: [eyes darkening, he rises to his feet.] Now, if you will excuse me. There is a threat against Bethany that I must annihilate. Good day.
Reporter: Hey! [notebook begins to burn, then bursts into flame, quickly flaring then smoldering into cinders.] Chuck, did you get that on film? I think that guy really is a genie! Get me a copy of THE GENIE IGNITES pronto!

A former journalist, Kellyann’s interest in Middle Eastern myth and legend stems from her stint as a Managing Editor of Publications for the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Washington, D.C. She is a published author of several genie romance novellas. One book, Angels & Genies, was included in a collection for which Charlaine Harris wrote the foreword. Kellyann lives in Pennsylvania with her husband, three children, and a jaunty terrier named Djin-Djin.  

Where to find Kellyann Zuzulo online

Website  |  Twitter 

Boroughs Publishing Group

Smaswords  |  Website  |   Twitter   |  Facebook profile  |  LinkedIn


Kellyann Zuzulo said...

Hi Laurie,
Thanks so much for hosting Zubis and THE GENIE IGNITES. He doesn't sit down for an interview for just anybody, but when he heard it was your blog, he made a concession. ;) I hope your readers find some magic in this book.
Best Wishes,

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

This book sounds great! Thanks for the giveaway! :D

Linda said...

I was grinning from the 1st paragraph (the blurb). Does he come in a lamp too? =)

BLHmistress said...

LOL, I think I don't want to make him mad wow! MY kind of guy :)