Monday, April 9, 2012

The Magic of Lavender by Cate Masters

Book One of the Goddess Connection. Every woman should
 embrace her inner goddess. What’s your connection?

Background by MagicalRealties Designs
Jocelyn Gibson forgot about the realm of magic. But it never forgot her. Gram always told her: don’t ignore your magical gifts, it will insult the family. But Joss didn’t realize her gifts included channeling the energy of powerful ley lines. Or that her family included a goddess. Family connections come in handy when the Lord of the Underworld kidnaps local vet Eric Hendricks. He’s an amazing lover, but Joss didn’t know she loved him until too late. With a little help from the Goddess Iris, Joss defends the new life she’s forged, and helps save the town of Boiling Springs from destruction. Once Eric escapes Hell, can she stop loving him to keep him safe?



Blinking hard, Joss glanced at the old clock, then at him. “It’s very unusual for this clock to tell… the right time.” Her voice faded as she spoke the last words. Her narrowed gaze swept over him, leaving a trail of heated pinpricks like necrotic flesh returned to life.
Blood coursed like gasoline through his veins, cold but ready to ignite. Every sense snapped to attention, focused on her. Something very odd was going on. Their conversation seemed to be on two levels: the words they spoke corresponded to a deeper meaning, one he had no clue what it meant. Only Joss understood, and Annie, who looked on in surprise. Charlie, however, kept painting.
Unsure how to respond, Eric simply said, “Well. Glad it’s working again. Thanks.” He pulled up his collar and opened the door.
She called, “You’re welcome.”
Something about the way she said it made him halt. Made his husky tone catch in his throat as he croaked a goodbye. He blinked hard, and turned away without another word.
The wind drove the freezing rain into his face. Glad for the sensation, he tilted his head up and strode to his truck, hoping it would clear the fog from his brain. Being around her gave him a dizzy sensation, as if she were a whirlwind all around him. The wake of her swirling, too swift to follow, paralyzed him. Made him a mute, deaf to all but her. He’d never experienced anything quite like it. Fumbling the keys into the ignition, his hands shook, though the cold temperature didn’t register.
Edging the truck down the driveway, he couldn’t stop searching for her. One last look. His stalling rewarded him with a glimpse. Joss glided past the window, then edged back, half-hidden. But he knew. She was looking for him too. Impulsively, he jammed his foot against the accelerator and the tires kicked up gravel behind him.
Maybe the crazy aunt’s a witch. She’s cast a spell over me.
Now he sounded like the others. The fact that he entertained such a notion proved something was amiss. Or that he reacted to her so strangely. No, overreacted. Her presence threw off his internal compass, sent the needle spinning. He had no idea which direction was up. Only that whatever force was at work, it drew him back, uncontrollably, to her.
He found himself outside his practice without any memory of driving there.
Glancing back, the Victorian atop the hill gleamed like a beacon in fog. Light poured out the windows with a vibrancy reflecting the life of those within. Again, the distinct feeling of being an outsider enveloped him. Normally, he didn’t mind that he spent his spare time alone.
For the first time, he thought of Karen in an abstract way, as if from a distance, instead of her memory hitting him like a freight train. Strange. He used to feel as if his wife was still there with him. Not that he believed in ghosts, but sometimes his ache for her would ease, and Karen’s warmth would surround him. In the past year or so, even that had abandoned him, leaving a gaping void. The sensation of being suspended in nothingness, seeing life happening all around him but not really being part of it.
Being with Joss brought his aloneness into sharper relief.




Jocelyn Gibson, heroine of The Magic of Lavender, Book One of The Goddess Connection series.  Welcome Jocelyn! Thanks for being here.


Tell us about your family.

How much time do you have? Seriously, every family has its little quirks, but I had no idea mine were telling the truth when they said we were related to a goddess. The Goddess Iris, in fact.

Gram and Aunt Lydia claimed to have special powers, but it wasn’t until I bought the old B&B to convert to Lavender Hill Inn that I realized their magic was so powerful. Or that I had it, too. Worse, others wanted to harm us because of it.

Now I realize our family quirks are actually strengths. Without Gram and Aunt Lydia, I might never have learned to control mine – channeling the energy of the intense ley lines below the inn.


What was the scariest moment of your life?

Finding myself alone after my husband, John, died. I’d built my life around him, and wasn’t sure I could recover from the loss. Thankfully, my wonderful friend Annie convinced me to buy the old bed and breakfast in Boiling Springs, and it changed my life. Turned it upside down, really, but now I realize I’m where I’m meant to be.

What is your favorite meal?

I can’t pick a favorite, really – I love anything made with the lavender I grow here at the inn. Guests love my lavender cookies, lavender sugar cake, and lavender lemonade. I’m partial to lavender mocha lattes. And lavender margaritas!
 
What are you passionate about these days?

Other than Eric? :) My life centers around Lavender Hill Inn, where I help Annie prepare dishes made with culinary lavender.

I’m also crazy about Taz, my dog. I think he knew before I did that Eric would be part of our lives.

Who should play you in a film? 

It’s funny you should ask. Cate Masters, who wrote The Magic of Lavender, sometimes imagines her characters as actors, and you can find the Casting Call for The Magic of Lavender on her blog: http://catemasters.blogspot.com/2011/05/casting-call-magic-of-lavender.html

She cast Diane Lane as me, and Josh Brolin as Eric. It’s uncanny how well she matched us!

You can also view the book video, reviews, and read the first chapter of The Magic of Lavender at: http://catemasters.blogspot.com/2009/05/magic-of-lavender-contemporary.html


Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

I’m both, actually. I love getting up early to work in the garden, or in my summer kitchen where I dry the lavender I grow to make culinary lavender for cooking. But I also love to stay up late – there’s nothing more beautiful than sitting under the stars, watching the fae fluttering over my lavender field.


What would we find under your bed?


Possibly some fur balls. My dog Taz is part border collie and part lab, and despite my best efforts, his fur can escape cleaning. But I love Taz’s long, beautiful coat and wouldn’t change it.


Do you have a favorite quote, quip, or saying? What is it?


Gram’s always quoting someone, but one of my favorites is from Helen Keller: Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.

I never imagined I’d find out first hand, but it’s true!

Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Laurie! I have to run – Taz is chasing one of the fae through my lavender!

{Yells after Jocelyn}   Enjoyed talking with you……..





 
Cate Masters loves romance with a dash of magic and mayhem! Multipublished in contemporary to historical, sweet to erotic, fantasy/dark fantasy to speculative, she sometimes mashes genres. Reviewers have described her stories as “so compelling, I did not want to put it down,” and “such romantic tales that really touch your soul.”
When not spending time with her family, she can be found in her lair, concocting a magical brew of contemporary, historical, and fantasy/paranormal stories with her cat Chairman Maiow and dog Lily as company. Look for her at http://catemasters.blogspot.com and in strange nooks and far-flung corners of the web.
Cate loves to hear from readers! If you’re too shy to post here, friend her on Facebook or Goodreads, or email her at: cate.masters AT gmail.com.

Blog  |  TBR Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads 





a Rafflecopter giveaway



10 comments:

Cate Masters said...

Thanks so much for featuring The Magic of Lavender, Laurie! And for giving Joss a chance to speak her mind. :)

Lorrie said...

You're doing it again! Making the teases sound so interesting I have to buy it. I like your style of writing, your wit and your great stories. Keep them coming, please.

Nylez said...

i love reading paranormal fiction because it doesnt have boundaries.... any stories you can think of...

Syren said...

I love paranormal fiction because it is a world where almost anything can happen.

Jen said...

I love Paranormal Fiction bc it's the best genre out there lol jk but it is an awesome genre. I love it bc every book that's Paranormal Fiction is something new and original. :)

Dana said...

This sounds like my kind of book I love paranormal books!

Dana said...

And my favorite paranormal author is LJ Smith because her books are so unpredictable!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I love paranormal books. I remember reading L.J.Smith and Tamora Pierce when I was younger and looking them. I'm hooked now :)

Heather said...

So hard to pick one favourite paranormal author, but I guess it would be Eileen Wilks followed closely by Kelley Armstrong. I would love to read Cate's book and put her name at the top of the list. Thanks for the interesting review and the giveaway.

Gale Nelson said...

I am in to any thing about vampires right now. lol Thanks for the giveaway! Gale