Saturday, April 21, 2012

The House on Mayberry Road by Troy M Combs: Interview, Excerpt


‘A house not only haunted by spirits but infested with beings beyond the limits of human imagination’ When four adventurous teenagers go to investigate the supposed ‘haunted house’ out on Mayberry Road, they get more than they‘d bargained for. One boy ends up dead, two others psychotic, and another comatose. The house is not just haunted, it is somehow alive. And extremely dangerous.

Soon, local Sheriff Charlie Steera and Psychic John Rollings team up to investigate the dreaded abode and to determine the underlying source of its deadly history. What they find is startling--even to a gifted psychic such as John. Something big and unknown has burrowed a hole into the world through this house - something that will not stop or can’t be stopped.

One thing’s for sure: humanity has met its match. Only one lone, single psychic holds the fate of everything and everyone in his miniscule hands.



"Roooolliiiings ...." it whispered his name, its voice black and powerful.  John continued watching it conform to this limited reality ... its horrible, multi-jointed limbs breaking through its sharply-textured flesh, its head ripping through the bottom of its squirming body, its tail popping up from the top of its behind.  The creature was somehow upside-down and right-side up all at the same time.  It was hanging from the ceiling, unbound by gravity, unbound by many human limitations.  Foam began seeping from its lower—maybe upper—torso, and falling to the floor almost in slow motion.  Twenty-two small slits spread apart in numerous places, beneath which black eyes emerged.  Now it could see John for what he truly was.  And John could see it for what it was.
            It was so much more.  Too much, in a sense he could not fathom.  And though the entity was done transforming into the physical realm, parts of its body were unconnected from one another, bound together seemingly by inches of thin air.  It was not made completely of, nor could it completely turn into, matter.
            John wanted to run.  Cry.  Scream.  Hide.  Kill himself. This thing made him want to do it.




What do you think makes a good story?

Unique, intriguing ideas. Believable characters. Subplots. Though grammar and punctuation are very important, too, those first three, in my opinion, rule them out.


Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

All sorts of music. Sometimes music distracts me; sometimes it gets me going. I'll listen to anything from Metallica and Megadeth to Taylor Swift and Kelly Clarkson (the thrash metal fans will probably kill me now!).


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Hehe. A writer! Ever since I wrote my VERY first story (3rd grade), I know right there and then.


What are your favorite TV shows?

MONK! I looove Monk! Monk, The Walking Dead, and Quantum Leap.


What songs are most played on your Ipod?

Master of Puppets has been played the most.
 


Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

Don't give up no what who tells you what or why. Every day, garbage gets published, and every day, diamonds get rejected. It's just a matter of finding the right fit (or agent/publisher).


Also, learn the craft. Learn how to structure sentences well! Describe your characters in unique ways. Clear your mind and relax. The worst thing you can do is force it; let it come to you.


What would you consider to be the best book you have ever read?
The best book I've ever read... tough one. I'll make a list of my favorites:
The Exorcist
The Conqueror Worms
Almost any book with H.P. Lovecraft's name on the cover.


How do you react to a bad review of your book?

I usually thank the person for giving my book a try, and if they didn't like it, I tell them I'm sorry they didn't care for it. Sure, it's disappointing to a writer, but no two readers like the same book.


Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

NIGHT PERSON! I'm a very grouchy zombie in the morning. Night is when I get all my energy.


Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words.
Blessed. Complete. Worthwhile.


Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?

Everyone knows I'm an introvert—that's why I write. It's how I really communicate. I'm not good at talking to people.


Do you have a Website or Blog?





 
My name is Troy. My first, truest, and ultimate love is self-expression. I've been writing since the third grade, when our teacher made us write a story for class. That did it for me. I was hooked. I'm 30 now; I was 9 then. I've taken long breaks over the years, but I've never completely stopped, not even during my more depressed and doubtful times. Horror, science fiction, and fantasy are my fortes, though I have branched out: screenplays, poetry, philosophies, short stories, coming-of-age dramas, action, suspense ... you name it, I wrote it.
One of the biggest contributors, I believe, to why I enjoy it so much, is because since childhood, I've had a crippling social anxiety disorder. When I'm around crowds or people I don't know, I freeze up, become very quiet. My heart pounds against my chest. I used to even black out and have panic attacks (very unpleasant experience, in case you never had one before). Don't know why I was always shy and awkward. Kids in school made it even worse. So, since I couldn't express myself verbally, I guess I used writing as a second form of communication.

Strangely enough, I feel closer to God (or some divine force) whenever I have that spark of creativity. I feel like I'm closer to something larger than myself. It's actually like taking medicine. So I guess this is where I say I start writing blogs to expose myself further out into the world. I don't care if I'm rich, or famous, or popular, or whatever. I just want my stories to reach people. To show people a side of myself I never could before, especially as a kid when I needed to most. I want people to read something of mine and understand where I'm coming from, to take people on a journey into a brave new world they've never seen before. I want to share a part of my soul with humanity. If you're interested in checking out any of my work, it's all available on Amazon.com. Just type my name in the spacebar there and my ebooks will come up. :)





No comments: