Monday, April 23, 2012

Flame of Surrender (The Ferryman and the Flame #1) by Rhiannon Paille: Character Interview, Interview, Excerpt


Kaliel and Krishani weren't meant to meet . . . or fall in love . . . but they did. Krishani’s dreams of death lead him to a fate he’s terrified of - becoming the next Ferryman. His only refuge is Kaliel, the peculiar girl that swims with merfolk and talks to trees. Kaliel has a secret, she’s the Amethyst Flame, one of nine apocalyptic weapons. The Valtanyana will destroy everything on Avristar to get to her. Kaliel has to choose: face them, hide or unleash the Flame.

How far would you go to save everything you ever loved?








The first look at Flame of Justice: (this teaser scene is really mean since it tells you absolutely nothing about what happens in Justice. It's a flashback!)

The sound of the waterfall almost drowned out her voice. Krishani ignored the mist that drenched him; his eyes fixed on her sopping wet features. Dripping strands of white hair framed her face, green eyes shy and curious. She was poised at the mouth of the cave, her hands curled around the edge. She mouthed something that was barely audible and Krishani smiled.
Her ivory dress was dry, clinging to her clammy body awkwardly. She tiptoed through the grass and he noticed the delicate curves in her feet. She had pretty toes. Krishani trudged along behind her, his cloak dragging across the grass. It was heavy, the bottom of it soaked with mist.
“What are you thinking about?” Krishani asked.
She paused, facing him, her green eyes sparkling even in the shadowy cavern. “Snow.”
Krishani frowned. “Why are you always thinking about that?” He slid his hand into hers and idly rubbed his thumb along the center of her palm.
She shivered at his touch, blushing involuntarily. He almost smirked at the reaction; he knew too well what kind of effect he had on her. Her eyes skimmed the grass and she gulped. “I want you to show it to me again.”
Krishani sighed. The cloak felt heavier and in an attempt to ease the weight he shrugged it off. He glanced at the waterfall and recalled the first night they had met. He turned water to ice, and gave Kaliel something to remember him by. Knots formed in his stomach. Since the time of his departure from Amersil, he hadn’t been able to repeat the task. He shook his head. She twirled a strand of hair between her fingers, looking nervous.
He smirked. “Tell me why.”
“Why what?”
“Why you want me to make snow.”
Kaliel thought for a moment. “To know that magic exists.”
Krishani laughed. “You know it does! You do more of it than I do!”
Kaliel crossed her arms and stuck her bottom lip out. “What I do is silly. There’s nothing fascinating about it.”
“So I fascinate you?” he asked, taking a step closer and narrowing his eyes. His heart thudded as her eyes locked with his. She bit her lip and dug her toe into the ground.
“Maybe.”
He pulled her against him. She wrapped her arms around him and tried to avert her gaze. “You’re intrigued by me?” He mumbled.
Kaliel stifled a giggle and tried to grimace. She pressed her face into his shirt and shook her head against him. “Not without the snow.”
Krishani locked her in his embrace. He pulled her feet off the ground and twirled around. She squealed and laughed. He stopped and pulled away from her. “Is that all it is? You stay with me waiting for me to make snow?”
Kaliel rolled her eyes and bounded out of the cave. She turned when she reached the mouth and looked at him. “Dawn comes!” She went to skip down the stone steps, but poked her head around the corner while Krishani picked up his cloak and fitted it around his shoulders.
“And aye, I definitely like you only because you can make snow.”





Who or what exactly are you?

Kaliel: Um . . . I'm Kaliel of Evennses, and I'm a girl. I'm also a Flame. Lady Atara says there are only nine of them, we're the jewels of the universe.


What is your favorite part thing about the forest?

Kaliel: I like the tall protective trees. Their trunks are wide and their bark is soft and their leaves dance in the wind.


What scares you the most?

Kaliel: Besides myself? I scare me, not that I'm afraid of my own shadow, just, I'm afraid of what I might become. The Great Oak says I'll bloom into something. I really hope it's not the weed.

Any special boys in your life?

Kaliel: *laughs* You say it like you humans have multiple affairs, don't you know anything about Elvens? They're not supposed to fall in love.


But you did right? Fall in love?

Kaliel: *wistful smile* I did, but I'm content to keep my relationship with Krishani confidential. Only the trees know my secret thoughts about him.


Would you be in trouble if anyone found out?

Kaliel: *thinks* I suppose Avristar herself would be upset. Krishani and I are supposed to marry the land, and she is the female spirit of the land, and so I imagine she'd be jealous that Krishani loves me and loathes her.


Why did you fall for Krishani?

Kaliel: I used to know him once before, during a life that seems as far away as the stars themselves. We met again by chance, and ever since he spied on me swimming with merfolk, I haven't been able to forget him.


Is there anything dangerous about your world?

Kaliel: Avred, the male spirit of the land . . . he's dangerous.


What do you see in your own future?

Kaliel: *tucks her head to the ground* There are no happy endings.


Oh erm . . . well I wish you all the best of luck, perhaps you could show us back to the boat so we can go home. Great talking to you!!!

Kaliel: *smiles* Aye, you probably want to get back to the Lands of Men.




Has someone helped or mentored you in your writing career?


I want to say no, but then I remember last year and Jennifer Laughran and I have to say yes. She mentored in her own way. We were donating money to Red Cross for Japan Relief and as part of the drive, she critiqued my manuscript. That was and still is probably the most amount of guidance I’ve ever gotten as a writer.


Who is your favorite author?


This is a really tough question to answer since I have a few. Right now, it’s Julie Kagawa, but I have love for Erin Morgenstern, Cassandra Clare, M. Leighton, SM Reine, and Jennifer Armentrout.

Do you have critique partners or beta readers?


I have two that I readily rely on for stuff. Cory Putman Oakes who I met when our debut novels were out on the same day, and Natasha Heck who I met at a comic book convention in 2007. Both ladies have really helped me hone my craft, offering invaluable insight into the things I’ve written.

Who are your books published with?


I’m published with Coscom Entertainment, manned by the stereotypical Canadian A.P. Fuchs. He’s a cross between Red Green and Captain Canuck.


Tell us about the absolute BEST fan letter you have received.

It’s not a fan letter, but I can tell you about the stand out fan for me from my recent Debut Author Spotlight tour. We were in Winnipeg, slinging books at random teenagers (no I’m kidding) and this one girl comes up to the table and asks about the book. Everything I told her made her respond with: That sounds horrible. She must have said my book sounded horrible five times before picking it up, reading the back, buying it and coming back to my table to get it signed. As I’m signing it, she does a 180 on me: I’m so starstruck! You’re like the coolest person I’ve ever met!


Yeah I’m not sure where that came from either.


There were others than stand out in my mind, but I hope to get more fan mail as time goes on. I’ve only had a few messages so far, so we’ll see what happens.




I was never a normal girl. My life was an urban fantasy wrapped in a paranormal romance and served with a side of horror. To escape my everyday weirdness I began writing fantasy. I studied at U of Sedona and MIMT, obtaining a PhD in Metaphysical Science and Parapsychology. I'm married to a chef/comic book shop owner and I have a fondness for architecture. I frequent twitter and facebook, but if you really want to get to know me you should visit my site: www.yafantasyauthor.com

Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Website 

No comments: