Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Binding by L. Filloon: Character Interview, excerpt

Template by Magical Reality Designs
YA Paranormal

Two nights after her eighteenth birthday, Lily is attacked while out jogging, but is saved by Tharin Lunar, a Sidhe prince. When she discovers that her attacker is her own brother, Lucas, who disappeared four years ago, Lily refuses to believe that her brother would truly hurt her and becomes determined to find Lucas and bring him home. Lily finds that Lucas' disappearance is somehow tied to Tharin; so when he informs her that she is his betrothed and must return with him to Velesi, fulfill a treaty between their families and unite the two strongest clans through their marriage, Lily agrees. However, she is not going to Velesi for a wedding, but to bring home her only family, Lucas.

On their journey to the borders of Velesi, the realm of the Thirteen Clans, they are pursued by a Sidhe assassin group call the Ange, meet with an ogre crime lord that ends badly, deal with a sleazy troll motel manager, and when they discover that there is a bounty on their heads, they must keep one step ahead of every assassin, bounty hunter and low-life criminal from Velesi.

Protecting Lily has become the biggest challenge of Tharin's life. Lucky for him he has help in the form of his twin brother, Tolan, Lily's best friend Julia and his three bodyguard cousins.

Also available at:

~ Tharin ~ 

I sit patiently on the ledge just above where Lily and Julia wait.  It was agreed that Tolan would go down first and climb back up with Julia.  There are several ledges along the way up where we can stop to rest if needed before making it to the shelter near the top.

I watch as Tolan lands at the bottom and how both Julia and Lily run to him.  That pang hits me again and I throw my hands up in disgust.  When Tolan leans down to give Julia a kiss and then turns around and kisses Lily, I’m ready to leap down and toss my brother a mile out.  I take a deep breath and calm down as I watch Julia try for the second time to get on Tolan’s back.  When Tolan reaches me, he stops long enough to wink at me.  Even with the mask on, and the wind blowing, I can hear him laughing. 

I wait until they are a little further up before looking down.  I watch as Lily leans back against the wall and slips down to the ground.  I think for a minute about how to proceed.  She told me not to touch her again, in fact she told me to leave her alone.  What am I going to do, leave her here?  I could have sent Phoris to bring her up, but I almost went crazy just seeing her hugging Tolan, not to mention when he purposely kissed her knowing I would be watching.

I sigh, grabbing hold of the rope and slip quietly down.  I stand and wait.  I watch her lost in her thoughts, biting on her lower lip, wondering what she’s thinking about.  I shake myself realizing I have to get her up before she freezes to death. 

I reach out to her, letting her know what I need to do to get her up the wall.  She startles when I interrupt her thoughts.  Before I know what she’s doing, she’s up and throwing her arms around me.  I’m stunned and thrown so off balance by her change of attitude that it takes me a second to acknowledge that she’s holding me.  I feel her shaking but I’m not sure if it’s because of the cold, or if she’s crying.  When I’m about to pull her back, I stop not sure if I should put my hands on her.  When she finally looks up at me there are tears in her eyes.  When she whispers that she’s sorry, I know she means it...and all is right again.  The way she’s looking at me, the feel of her against me, I wrap her close and it’s too much for me to hold back.

I lift her mask exposing her mouth.  Her eyes grow wide as I lower my head, and finally not able to wait any longer, I kiss her.  It only takes half a second to get her reaction, which is not what I expected.  Her body goes limp and her arms drop to her side.  Lily is out cold.  Damn.

It's my pleasure to introduce as my guest today Tharin Lunar.  Tharin is a main character in The Binding, a debut paranormal novel for young adults. Welcome! Let's jump right in, OK?

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

Good morning, Laurie. Thanks so much for having me.  I dream of going to Eirrell, the land of our fathers.  I have never been there, but I remember stories told me and my brother about it.  It is more beautiful than Velesi, so beautiful that any mortal who sets eyes on it would go blind from its beauty.  Unfortunately, the way is lost to us.  The great Elven king Kalinest, my ancestor, was born and raised there.  However, when he severed the Velesi realm from that of the mortals, he inadvertently closed off Eirrell to Velesi.  It is the dream of all Velesians to go home to Eirrell, at least once in our life time.

Who is your favorite author?

L. Filloon, of course.  I’ve read some of her writing.  I like the way that she is able to breathe life into her characters.  I feel as if I know each one of them as if they are real.

Tell us about your family.

I am from the Oak Clan, the strongest clan in the Velesi Realm.  As the strongest of the clans, we rule the Velesi with honor, fairness and homage to our ancestors and the Mother Earth.  My father is King Thilthen who I will succeed once he has passed on to join my mother who waits for him in Eirrell.  He is a strong king and I will follow his footsteps to become as good a ruler as he one day.  I also have a twin, Tolan, who is a warrior in his own right, but prefers to use the elements to heal and help those in need.  He follows my mother’s footsteps and will be a great healer.  He is my trusted confidant and closest friend.  Our bond is a solid one.  I can’t see ruling Velesi without my brother at my side as my counsel.  I have three cousins: Phoris, Alorn and Mellis.  By ancient law, the only body guards a future king will have are those of his bloodline.  My cousins have been by my side watching my back since we first were able to walk.  I trust no other than these four.

What was the scariest moment of your life?

The scariest moment for me is when Lily was attacked unintentionally by the young oak.  The oaks pain overwhelmed Lily and threatened to destroy her mind and drive her insane.  If that would have happened, I would have lost her forever.  To save her, I had no choice but to bind her to me by putting us both through the Binding process.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

To be king of the Oak Clan, of course.

Do you play any sports?

When Tolan and I were boys we participated in the Koriou games.  Two teams of five young warriors, male or female, are chosen by the elders.  It is a game of strength, speed, cunning and one of deadly accuracy.

What are you passionate about these days?

Lily Michaels.  I don’t know what kind of spell she has put on me.  One moment I want to strangle her slender neck and then the next all I want to do is to kiss every inch of that very same neck.

What would we find under your bed?


What makes you happy?

The reason for Lily’s misery.  She’s miserable because she loves me.  She won’t admit it to herself and believes that I have feelings for another.  So, she’s miserable.  Good.  I like knowing that she’s tortured over me, as it should be.

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

I like cats.

I was born in Samoa, spent my 6 to 11 years in Hawaii (Oahu), grew up and finished school in California, and lived my adult life from the age of 30 in Las Vegas, and here is where I have been since. I have been writing since before I even knew what writing meant. Maybe it was that Christmas when we lived in Hawaii and we each recieved one gift (my oldest and youngest sisters and me) and I remembered unwrapping that very small gift only to find a pen. And not even a new one. I remember wanting to cry, but my mama said, stop crying and go write something. And I have not stopped since.

 Blog  |  Facebook

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Ash Krafton | @ashkrafton said...

Great feature! That was a fun excerpt and I loved reading the interview.

I love reading fantasy because the realm of possibility is endless--anything can happen! It allows me to let go of what should I can be ready for what might be.

A.H. Browne @ said...

As a person who's read this book already, I absolutely love this! The Author did a wonderful job, and I love that you chose Tharin to interview! Great choices and great answers. :)

ladystorm said...

Great interview! I liked this book and if you haven't read it you should grab it and read! :)


L. Filloon said...

Laurie, I wanted to take a moment to say 'Thank You' for the wonderful opportunity to showcase Tharin Lunar and The Binding. And, also for the beautiful image you created highlighting the book cover. This was my first character interview and it was so much fun to do. Again, thank you!

L. Filloon

Doodle said...

I love Shelly Crane. She brought about a new kind of paranormal being. An Ace, or protector.

Lady Krishna Asi said...

Thanks for the giveaway! And thank you for that nice excerpt! I totally want to read this book! :)

Tien said...

Thanks for the giveaway.

I love paranormal novels. They're easy to read and are in the 'possible' realms

Fellipe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fellipe said...

I love paranormal novels because we teleport to a different world we live in!

lovestoread0708 said...

I like paranormal because it takes you to a totally different world than the one you live in.. It's great to dream! =)

The Howard Family said...

I love many things about Paranormal books, going to a different world is always fun and getting to see how an author develops and creates amazing characters. This books looks very interesting thanks!!!!

Carmen said...

hi i was trying to find the binding on barnes and nobles but its not there. when will it be?

Laurie said...

Hi Carmen, thanks for dropping by. It looks like The Binding is currently in the Amazon Kindle Select Program which means that it's exclusive to Amazon for a 90 day period. I will email the author and ask her when it will be available at BN again just in case she is no longer monitoring these comments. :)

L. Filloon said...

Hi Carmen! Thank you so much for your interest in The Binding. Laurie is correct in that I am currently only on Amazon Kindle Select Program until June 20th. It should be available on June 21st at all other sites including B&N and Smashwords. However, their system is not always reliable and may not be available until the 22nd.

Send me an email at and I'll personally notify you once the book is available.

Again...thank you so much for your interest!

L. Filloon