Sunday, April 8, 2012

Between The Land And The Sea by Derrolyn Anderson: Interview, Excerpt

Marina is a privileged girl who’s had an unusual upbringing. Traveling the world with her scientist father, doted on by her wealthy and glamorous neighbor Evie, Marina’s life seems perfect.
Background courtesy Sweet Blossom Designs, Sea Grass & Shell designed by The Ettes.

Something extraordinary is lurking in the deep ocean waters off the coast of Aptos, California. In just a few weeks after moving to the small beach town, sixteen year old Marina has nearly drowned twice, enchanted the hottest guy in high school, and discovered a supernatural creature. If she can only manage to survive her increasingly dangerous encounters with unpredictable mermaids, she might just be able to unlock the mystery of her past to learn how to appease the mysterious forces that seem to want something from her...and maybe even find true love along the way.
Between The Land And The Sea is the first book in the series "Marina's Tales". Her story continues on in book two, The Moon And The Tide.

Excerpt from “Between The Land And The Sea”

Heading out towards the ship, I watched a couple of families strolling on the pier and taking pictures of each other leaning against the railings. The last thing I expected to see was Lorelei. Considering her shyness, I knew she wouldn’t be hanging around the ruins on such a busy day.
I was wrong.
When I wandered to the fence and looked down, her head popped up immediately.
Lorelei!” I blurted out in shock.
She laughed, and it sounded like wind chimes. I looked around, but no one else had noticed her. I scooted to the edge of the chain link and glanced over my shoulder.
Marina!” she called with a brilliant smile.
We need to talk,” I stage whispered. She looked over at the edge of the fence.
Come over here,” she said, with a beckoning wave.
How?” I wondered, for there were more and more people coming down the stairs towards us. She smiled, and swimming over to a bobbing sea lion, she whispered something into its ear. Suddenly the sea lions all disappeared underwater.  A few seconds later there was a barking commotion on the opposite side of the boat. All the people ran across the deck to get a look at what was going on. I could see them pointing and laughing at whatever the sea lions were doing. No one looked in our direction.
Sheesh, she can talk to animals, I thought. She gestured for me to come around the fence, which extended out over the water to prevent just that. I set my bag down on the deck, and looked around again.
Gathering my courage, I clung onto the fence, slipping the toes of my ballet flats into the links step by step. The sea lion commotion continued as I slowly picked my way around the fence. For a split second it occurred to me that this was a really dumb idea, but curiosity triumphed over rationality and I kept going. Once I had maneuvered around and climbed down onto a concrete chunk she swam close.
Come!” she said, beckoning me into the water.
But I can’t swim!” I exclaimed.
I can swim for you,” she said, and before I could protest she scooped me up like Ethan had and flung us into the surf. The water was shockingly cold, and we stayed under for much too long. When we surfaced I was gasping for air. We had cleared the boat by a good fifty yards and were further out to sea than even the surfers went.
“I know a place we can go,” she said, and with a tight grip on me dove under again. My mind raced. I had read legends of mermaids who maliciously drowned humans. I knew I was going to die and they would probably chalk it up to another sleeper wave. Ethan would really think I was an idiot. I thought of how sad my father would be. We broke through the surface again.
Stop!” I managed to gasp. We went under again. Now I was really afraid. I tried to pry her hands off of me but the glacial water was rushing by so quickly that I could barely move. I held my breath as long as I could and just as the dizziness set in we broke through the surface. She grinned at me, and then noticing my terrified expression, paused.
I... I need to breathe,” I gasped, “Air,” I added.
She smiled again, wild and beautiful, “I know,” she said, and dove underwater with me. This time she came up a bit sooner.
Wait!” I screeched, “I need to breathe more often!!!
Oh,” she said, and then held me above the surface as we sped along. With each powerful stroke of her fin we were propelled at least twenty feet. I was so frozen with cold I couldn’t protest. Finally we reached a buoy, floating far, far from shore.
I grabbed onto the buoy as she hovered next to it, treading water with her powerful fin. There was an odd collection of objects draped and tied onto it. I recognized scissors, golf balls and an old hairless baby doll. The binoculars I had given Lorelei were dangling there, along with my soggy leather jacket.
The buoy looked like a piece of modern art I saw at a museum once. My vision doubled as I began to have trouble focusing.
Let’s talk,” she said, giddily.
My body was involuntarily shuddering and my teeth were chattering uncontrollably but I managed to get out, “L-L-Lorelei, I’m t-too cold. M-must g-go back.
But the wave riders stay in the water a long time...” she pouted, disappointed.
T-they have w-wet suits to k-keep them warm,” I said through gritted teeth. She looked puzzled. “T-the black s-suits–”
Oh,” she said crestfallen, and I could see she understood.
P-P-please take me back... now.”
She looked disappointed, and taking me by the waist again, started to swim back to shore. I couldn’t feel my legs anymore and a pleasant warmth crept through my body. I stopped shivering.
Yes,” she said, swimming without the slightest evidence of exertion.
Why did you call me sisthter?” I asked, slurring my words. My vision was starting to blacken at the edges.
She paused for a moment, and then said “You were born of one like us,” she smiled, “And so you are a sister.” The blackness descended upon me totally.

Tell us about your current release.

I’ve recently finished the fourth and final book in my “Marina’s Tales” series. Saying goodbye to some of my favorite characters has been bittersweet, but I believe I finally got the story to a place where it could conclude naturally… for now.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

My husband and I work out of our house, running a small manufacturing business in our garage. I daydream a lot, and jot down notes as ideas occur to me. I try to steal away for an hour or two in the evenings while my awesome husband makes dinner for the family. He’s cute and he cooks! I’m truly a lucky woman!

Does your significant other read your stuff?

He’s a pretty good sport about it, even though YA / paranormal romance really isn’t his cup of tea. A word for word reader, he’s very good at ferreting out little typos and pointing out continuity issues.

Plotter or Pantser?

Pantser. I start out with a loose outline and a few key scenes, but I’m almost always surprised where the story takes me.

What group did you hang out with in high school?

Uhm…Uh…Err… I believe they were called “the stoners”. Say no more.

What is it that you like to do when you’re not reading/writing?

I’ve discovered that I’m a serial obsessive, and once I get going, I tend to get wrapped up in painting, gardening, sculpting, beading, etc… For the past two years it’s been writing, and I find it so challenging, I believe that it’s one pastime that will last me a lifetime.

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

Night person. I used to work as a bartender, and I did very well with the hours. Now that I have school-age kids, I’ve been forced to change my lazy sleeping-in ways, but I have a feeling I’ll revert back to form as soon as my youngest is capable of driving herself around.

Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words.


Entice us, what future projects are you considering?

Now that I’ve wrapped up my first book series, I’m excited to be starting my next book. I have an idea for a stand-alone murder mystery, and another YA series featuring a quirky character with synesthesia (and maybe a few other powers too).

Do you have a Website or Blog?

Thanks for asking! 
My book series on Goodreads :   Marina's Tales on Goodreads 
Stop by here to take the mermaid poll :   Mermaid Poll

Derrolyn Anderson is a visual artist and writer who
specializes in young adult fiction. She is the creator
 of the four part "Marina's Tales" series, and is
currently hard at work on her next book.

For a limited time you can download a FREE copy of Between the Land and the Sea from Smashwords in the format of your choice!!  Use this link and enter this code at checkout.   Code: FM28V

No comments: