Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Phantom Pilot by Ann Swann : Character Interview

When a small plane crashes behind Jase's house, he finds himself being haunted by the ghost of the pilot. The phantom pilot even seems to have some strange attachment to Jase's rescued dog, Lady. Jase doesn't know where to turn until he sees a girl named Stevie entering the local "haunted" house, alone. He believes she is the only one who may be brave enough to help him. But will they be able to communicate with the pilot to find out what he wants? Or will Jase remain "haunted" for the rest of his life?

Amazon  |  Cool Well Press  |  Goodreads

5 Star reviews:

“I couldn’t sleep, so I picked up the book and started reading.  I loved it!  I didn’t stop until I finished the entire book.  I can’t tell you the last time that happened.”
“I would use this in my class.  There are so many teachable moments!” 
“The story caught me from the beginning.  I love the characters.  It made me cry.  The Phantom Pilot is a great read!” 
“No matter what, you don’t go inside the spooky old house.  No matter who dares you, no matter what lures you.  You do not go in.”  She turned the knob and stepped inside. 
Ann Swann said:
“I wanted to set a Young Adult ghost story in the small town of America’s past.  I ended up recreating the world of my youth, but I think readers of all ages will be able to identify with the brave, vulnerable characters whose struggles cross generational lines.”

Character Interview with Stevie-girl
and her best friend, Jase
from The Phantom Pilot

I'm so pleased to welcome Ann Swann's leading characters from her new book, The Phantom Pilot.  Thanks so much for being here!  Where do you dream of traveling and why?

STEVIE-GIRL: I want to go to New York City.  I want to see all the trees in Central Park, especially in the fall when they’re changing colors.  It seems so funny to have a giant park in the middle of a giant city.

JASE: I’d like that, too.  Plus I’d like to visit Baltimore, where Poe lived.  And maybe Paris, and London . . .

LOL! Sounds like a full itinerary! So...who is your favorite author?

STEVIE-GIRL: I love Jack London, and The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and the guy who wrote the Silver Chief books, Jack O’Brien.  And also (Stevie tucks the tip of her braid in the corner of her mouth and nibbles at it while she’s thinking), oh . . . there are just too many!

JASE: (laughing) I agree with Stevie.  But I would definitely add Edgar Allan Poe and S.E. Hinton, and then there’s this new author, Ann Swann.  I hear she’s a pretty good storyteller.

What do you think makes a good story?

STEVIE-GIRL: (Stevie defers to her friend) Jase should answer this one. He’s about the best writer I’ve ever read.

JASE: (cheeks reddening, Jase flips his blond hair off his forehead self-consciously) Thanks, Stevie-girl. I do like to write—

STEVIE-GIRL: (Stevie interrupts) No, you love to write!

JASE: Okay, I love to write.  (He grins) What makes a good story for me to read?  I think it’s the characters.  If I don’t like the characters, I don’t care about their story.

Tell us about your family.

STEVIE-GIRL: It’s just my Gramps and me.  He’s the best.  Both my mom and my gran passed away a few years ago, mom in a car wreck, and Gran had a stroke.  Don’t know about my Dad.  Guess he’s still alive, somewhere.

JASE: My dad works a lot.  He sells appliances at the hardware store down on the square.  Mom has her study clubs, and church, and my big brother, Rusty?  He’s in Vietnam.  He’s a soldier.

What was the scariest moment of your life?

STEVIE-GIRL: I’ll let Jase answer this one first.  I think I know what he’ll say . . .

JASE: (Jase nods) The night the plane crashed behind my house and the phantom pilot looked at me with his silver eyes and said, “I was alone.  We all are.”

STEVIE-GIRL: That’s what I thought you’d say.  Either that, or the night you woke up and saw him peering at you from inside your closet.

JASE:  Yeah (tugging the end of Stevie’s braid), thanks for reminding me.  Been trying to forget that.  Now, tell ‘em your scariest moment.

STEVIE-GIRL: Well, I have two.  The first one was when Gramps told me my mom had been in a wreck.  The second one was when the shadow-man pushed you down the stairs in the old haunted house.

What are your favorite TV shows?

STEVIE-GIRL: That’s easy: The Monkees, American Bandstand . ..

JASE: Mission Impossible . . .

STEVIE-GIRL: Yeah, and don’t forget The Mod Squad.  Oh! And Shock Theater on Friday nights, my favorite.

What do you do to unwind and relax?


STEVIE-GIRL: Besides watching TV and listening to records, we like to ride our bikes over to the drugstore and get a Coke and fries while we look at the new comic books.

JASE: Yeah, or ride over to the music store to check out new albums and 45s.  I got Steppenwolf and CCR and Stevie got a 45 of that cool Tommy James song, Crimson & Clover.

STEVIE-GIRL: Do you want to tell them what happened to that record, or should I?

JASE: You tell ‘em.

STEVIE-GIRL: Well, see, after we left the music store, we were going over to Jase’s house to listen to it, and also so that he could show me exactly where the plane had crashed.  But I didn’t know the phantom pilot would get mad at me.  He thought I was going to try and make him leave, but really I was just trying to help Jase find out what he wanted.  

JASE: Yeah . . . but she wound up wearing the record on her forehead when the pilot made it fly off the turntable—

STEVIE-GIRL: Didn’t really hurt though, (she rubs her forehead in memory), but it certainly got my attention. 

Is there a piece of advice that you have received that has really stuck with you? If so, what was it?

STEVIE-GIRL: (looks at Jase and grins) My Gramps always tells us to obey the traffic laws —

JASE: ‘Cause bikes are vehicles, too!  (they laugh together as he finishes her sentence)

STEVIE-GIRL: Gramps used to be a cop, you see.  He takes traffic laws very seriously!

Thank you both so much for coming by today. It was great talking with you and I appreciate the opportunity to meet you! 

Born in West Texas, Ann began writing stories to amuse herself when she was abducted by a pack of shape-shifters and taken to live in the wild desert.
Even after she escaped, she continued to write short
stories and novels featuring weirdities and oddities.
Watch for more updates as she readjusts to life among
the mortals.  She started a blog so if you like that sort of
thing, check it out!

Ann is the author of numerous short stories, but this is her debut novella. 
She loves writing, reading, movies, dogs, cats, kids, and her handsome
hubby, Dude.  Oh, and jalapenos!  She also likes all kinds of music,
especially singer/songwriters like Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp,
Zac Brown, Kenny Chesney, Melissa Etheridge, the list goes on . . .

Ann would love to hear your thoughts about her book, your book, any book. 
Or music,  Or just life in general. 

Blog  |  Facebook  |  Coolwell Press  |  Twitter

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Sharmaine C said...

I really love The Darkest Powers Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong.

Sharmaine C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tien said...

I have a number of paranormal novels but so far, the only series I've been faitful to is the Sookie Stackhouse one by Charlaine Harris.

I love paranormal novels because whilst it's not on the 'acceptable' level of reality, it's just soo.... possible

Girish said...

I like True Blood's Sookie Stackhouse books.

Fellipe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fellipe said...

I would like win this book!

Courtney Wyant said...

Sounds like a fanatastic book!