Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Magi by Kevin M Turner : Excerpt, Interview & Review

Thirteen-year-old Elijah Hawk has never heard of the Magi. He doesn't know about the secret power they have. He has never been to Savenridge, the Magi city hidden deep inside the northern forests. Most of all, Elijah is unaware of the dangers hunting him, in search for something he has. After one terrifying night, however, all of that changes!

On a quest to solve the murder of his parents, Elijah stumbles upon the land of the Magi. Learning their secrets and training with their power is the least of his problems. In order to find out why his parents were killed, Elijah learns that he must confront the dangers that are hunting him. What's more terrifying is learning that stumbling upon this new world of the Magi may not have been an accident after all.

Amazon Paperback  Kindle  |  Smashwords  |  Goodreads



PROLOGUE

“You wished to speak with me, sir?”
“Have a seat, Roland. Drink?”
Roland sat down and cautiously gripped the crystal goblet placed before him. His master
never offered a drink unless there was business to attend to, and from the look in his eye,
tonight’s business was urgent.
“Thank you,” Roland said, wiping his mouth on his silver and black sleeve before the
sweet liquid dribbled down his chin. The drink was an appetizer. A symbolic gesture offered
just before blood was to be spilled. He waited patiently for direction.
“We found them.”
“Sir?”
“Ten years we’ve searched, and we’ve found them.”
“Are you sure?” Roland instantly knew the importance of his job. This was no menial
task. He was about to be given the honor of his life!
“Certain. And it’s important that you leave tonight. There must be no chance of word
spreading.”
“What are my orders?”
“I think you know, Roland.”
“You want me to kill them.”
“Yes.”
“All of them?”
“All of them.”
Roland took another sip from his goblet and nervously looked around. “Even the child?”
he whispered.
His master leaned in so close that the smell of his foul breath permeated through
Roland’s lungs.
“Especially the child."   Continue Reading  




5 Stars


This delightful book grabbed me immediately. It’s a coming of age fantasy that held my attention and pulled me into Elijah’s adventures.  The world-building in this story is astounding.  The supernatural world is hidden; two forces each endowed with similar powers but different ideologies.  Both sides are searching for a lost relic with different plans for the relic once it is found. 

The story is well-told, moves along nicely, and is driven by the unique, yet believable characters. At first good and evil seem quite black and white, but as the story progresses, it seems there is some blurring of the line between the two opposing factions.  This is the first book in a planned series.  One thing I appreciated is that this story did come to a natural conclusion, even though there definitely are enough loose ends to carry over into the next book.  I recommend The Magi for mature readers who enjoy fantasy, as well as the teen/young adult demographic. This is one of those rare books that truly can be read and enjoyed by the widest range of readers.  Absolutely magical!!   





Tell us about your current release.


The Magi is about a young boy named Elijah on a quest to solve the murder of his parents.  During his quest, he stumbles upon a group of people called Magi who have unlocked some very powerful secrets to our world.  They agree to teach Elijah, but he soon finds that another group of people, who have also uncovered these secrets, are hunting him.  Elijah now must decide between his own safety and protecting others.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?


I’m a night writer (which if you say out loud sounds like Knight Rider, and that just makes me sound so cool).  I tend to write in spurts, and those spurts usually coincide with a cup of coffee, so sometimes I write for twenty minutes and sometimes I can go for hours.

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?


My wife is the most supportive person in my life, not just of my writing.  She reads my books chapter by chapter as I am finished with them, and she’s gotten quite good at critiquing them.  She also knows when I need encouragement and when I need a kick in the pants.  The rest of my family is just as supportive, so much so that my dedication to The Magi was for them.  They all read with a keen eye for different things.  For example, my wife is good at picking out character inconsistencies while my sister is good at picking out confusing scenes as a middle grade or young adult reader would see them.


Tell us about your family.


I have a wife and two-year-old daughter, a lab and a pug.  We’re quite the eclectic group.  My daughter has just learned how to give dirty looks, and it literally takes all my inner strength not to laugh when she gives them to me.  Both my wife and I are teachers, which is why I had my inspiration to write a book for children.


What was the scariest moment of your life?


When my daughter was born, she had a life-threatening birth defect.  She was rushed to the intensive care unit and we were told that she would most likely not survive.  I don’t know of a horror worse than that.  We were also told that if she did survive, she would very likely have a lack of brain function because she was without sufficient oxygen to her brain for 45 minutes.  Thankfully, and I believe miraculously, she not only survived, but she’s now thriving enough to give her father dirty looks. 


What group did you hang out with in high school?


I don’t think I could even call myself a nerd, and I wish I could.  I was pretty much a loner.  I had friends here and there, but basically I just wanted the bell to ring so I could go to class and not have to be exposed.  I always wanted just one friend that I was really close to, but everyone else wanted a whole herd of friends where everyone talked and no one listened, so I ended up alone for much of high school.

 Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why?


Yes.  Most of my characters are either named after someone or their names are significant to me.  Also, the names of the kids in the book are all biblical.  I didn’t do that to make a religious statement or anything, but it does have meaning to me.


New York or LA? Why?


LA.  Sorry New Yorkers.  I love your city, but I was raised in Los Angeles spending my days rooting for USC, watching the Lakers dominate, and seeing the Dodgers slowly become irrelevant.  Even though I can see the air, it’s home.

If I came to visit early in the morning would you impress me as being more like a chirpy bird or a grumpy bear?

If a grumpy bear lived at our house, I would scare it away in the mornings with my grouch.  I’m so glad my daughter picked up on being a night owl.  Not much is said before 8:00, and even that’s early for me.

Thanks for taking time out to talk with me today.

Thank you so much for having me. 





Kevin M. Turner is the author of The Magi, a fantasy/adventure novel written for young adult readers. He attended Point Loma Nazarene University and majored in Philosophy and Theology. Turner later studied education and has been teaching English to middle school students since 2004. The Magi was originally written to give his students a fun book to read. He currently lives in California with his wife and daughter. The Magi, the first book in a five-book series, is available on Smashwords and Amazon.

Goodreads  |  Website  |  Facebook  |  Twitter





a Rafflecopter giveaway




THANKS FOR LOOKING!

2 comments:

SusanD1408 Crochet Addict said...

This book would be perfect for my husband. He loves books like these and I bet I would love it too!

SusanD1408 Crochet Addict said...

Sorry forgot to say I love Richelle Mead but hubby loves Peter Brett