Thursday, March 8, 2012

Jaguar Sun by Martha Bourke : Character Interview

December 21, 2012 - Will that fateful day destroy our world, or did the Mayans have something else in mind? Maya Delaney knows. Unfortunately.

Maya Delaney is just an average sixteen-year- old. She’s busy dealing with exams, her soon to be ex-boyfriend and fitting in. But Maya’s got bigger problems. She’s hiding a major secret from her dad and having strange visions she can’t control. In her struggle to figure out who she is, she learns that she is meant to fulfill an ancient Mayan Prophesy and bring forth a New Age on earth. Will the spirit magic Maya wields be enough to defeat Toltec, an evil society bent on keeping her from her destiny? Or will that destiny destroy her?

Kindle  |  Nook

Enter to win a digital copy of Jaguar Sun.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Like Jaguar Sun on Facebook for a 2nd bonus entry.
This Giveaway ends March 24th 11:59PM CDT.


That’s when he pulled me to him and kissed me.
Oh, God. It was like my whole body woke up. Something
was different. I could feel his strength and power, the
perfection of his being. I ran my hands along his chest,
slid my hands under his shirt, felt the heat of his skin.
I wasn’t just some high school junior with a schoolgirl
crush anymore. I wasn’t nervous. I wasn’t trying to
figure out what he was thinking. I didn’t wonder where
we stood. Every muscle, every nerve ending, every fiber
of my being was completely attuned to him. He was my
mate. I was home.

(With Maya a protagonist of Jaguar Sun)

Maya,  It's so wonderful of your author to let you speak with us today.  I'm delighted you're with us.  Let's start, shall we?  First, tell us about your family.

Well, my loser-mom left when I was four. So it’s really been just my dad and me. Which is fine, because, seriously, who abandons their kid to move to Las Vegas? How cheesy is that? But, I have grandma. She’s my loser-mom’s mom. We’re really close. That’s where my Mayan blood comes from. It was Grandma’s idea to call me Maya.
That's a lovely name.  I know you enjoy reading, what book are you reading now?

Well, I’m not actually reading anything at the moment. Before we left for Mexico so that I could start the New Age at Chichen Itza, we were reading “The Raven” by Poe in English class. ‘Course that was before I found out that my English teacher was a shifter like me and that she was sent to watch out for me. It’s kind of a long story.
Really? Can you stick around after the interview and sign my copy of the book. I bet that is a fascinating long story.  lol  So....What are your favorite TV shows?

Honestly? My BFF’s, Lyssa and Damian and I are total Gleeks. We DVR the show and watch it together at the end of the week. No one is allowed to watch it in advance either. Lyssa and Damian are twins. I’ve known them forever. They kind of fight a lot. But, most siblings do, right? ‘Course most siblings can’t read one another’s thoughts, but…um, crap, where is this being published?
Published???  Listen, girlfriend...this is all just between you and me, ok??  {Wink} Let's continue with these fascinating and insightful questions. [grin] What is your favorite food?

Diet Coke. Sad, but true. I swear it’s like my elixir of life.
Yum......I'm with you on that!  Diet Coke is my drink of choice, too!  What are you passionate about these days?

My mate, Matt. You know how shifters mate for life ‘n all. I don’t know what I would do without him. He’s like my rock. I mean it isn’t every day you find out that your mate is supposed to save the world when the Mayan calendar ends. Hello! But he’s stood by me through everything.
That's so cool.  It's wonderful!  Let's make your life into a movie. Who should play you in the film?

A movie Me? Jeez. I guess she would have to look a little Mayan, like me. You know, a little ethnic? Hey, what was that girl’s name from The Mummy? She could do it. I mean, without all the funky bangs and all.
Do you have any special routines or rituals?

I do, yeah. I have a Mayan ritual I use to contact my nagual. That’s my guiding spirit in the Otherworld. When I phase, I take on his form. That’s what shifters do. I kind of, you know, become Balam the Jaguar.
I am so envious.  I would love to have your gift! Do you have a favorite quote, quip, or saying? What is it?

I dunno. I say crap way too much, that’s for sure.

lol......Too funny!  Thanks so very much for taking time out to talk to me today.  I've enjoyed it and I look forward to reading your story. Thanks again!!

Martha Bourke grew up in Burlington, Vermont, often considered a hub of "free thinking.” She was encouraged to write, act and be creative at a very young age. An accomplished Spanish teacher, Martha has spent the last fifteen years creating Spanish programs for elementary schools. For most of her life, she has had a fascination with languages, culture and mythology – a passion that now colors and enriches her stories.
Martha and her husband of thirteen years have carved out their own little piece of Vermont in the Massachusetts countryside. When not writing, Martha loves spending time with their animals, listening to good music, taking photographs, and adding to her Converse collection. She is currently working on book two of the Jaguar Sun Series, Jaguar Moon. She has three to five books planned for the series.

Twitter  |  Website   |  Facebook


Thanks for Looking!!


Martha Bourke said...

Thanks so much for having me, Laurie! This was a blast to do and your blog is gorgeous! If there are any readers who have questions, I'll be glad to answer them.


Lauren said...

Wow! I LOVE reading character interviews :) Now I really want to read Jaguar Sun!

Laurie said...

The giveaway winner is Susan D (crochet addictcfs)