Monday, February 27, 2012

A White So Red by Krystal Jones : Sneak Peek

A White So Red, a gothic retelling of Snow White




Download soon for free (limited time)
Take back what is yours.
Seventeen-year-old Snow’s life changed forever the night her stepmother, the Queen, sent her huntsman to cut out her heart. Fleeing for her life, Snow runs to the Silver Forest, a place as dangerous as it is enchanting, and begins an adventure she could never have dreamed.
With no one at her side but a rowdy band of carnivorous dwarves and an arrogant, rogue prince who’s too handsome for his own good, Snow must confront the challenge that’s been laid before her: Kill the Queen, and take back the kingdom that should have been hers.
But if she is to succeed, Snow will have to tap into a powerful, ancient form of magic, one that may have been sleeping inside her all along.
A White So Red is a dark, sexy retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.
Sign up for Krystal's free email newsletter to be notified when this title becomes available for download.


INTERVIEW



What are the most important attributes for remaining sane as a writer?



 1) Get organized and stay organized. There is SO much that goes into the writing and marketing process, it's easy to lose track of everything, especially if you're juggling a day job and a family on the side. I have two separate planners, one for my daily writing goals and the other for "everything else." At the start of each week, I'll write in each day's goals, and review them each night before I go to bed so a plan is fresh in my mind the next morning.

2) Be patient. You can't move an entire mountain, rather go at it one shovelful at a time. One of my teachers told me that on a day I was feeling particularly gloomy because I didn't think I was making enough progress. It takes time to be successful. Somedays, it will feel like it's not really going anywhere, and you ask yourself, "Why am I doing this again?" Just be patient, work steadily and smartly, and realize that someday it will all come together and you'll marvel at just how much you've accomplished.

 3) Don't let the doubters get you down. This goes for your inner critic. It's true, we really can be our own worst enemies, especially when facing a lot of opposition to a dream. Just keep at it. A lot of times when someone tells you something can't be done or it's impractical, they're only saying so because they've never attempted what you're trying to do, rather they're going off of heresay. People don't take risks because they're scared. Be fearless and follow your dreams.



What group did you hang out with in high school?



I was actually always a bit of a loner, a quality that stuck with me through college. I was also shy, though I've grown bolder over the years. I don't want to say I was an outcast, exactly, but I didn't really fit in with one particular group of people. My small cluster of friends shared that quality with me. I've never been afraid to be by myself. I've always had a very active imagination, preferring to spend time in story worlds rather than my own reality, and I think that offset some people from wanting to get to know me better.



What would you consider to be the best book you have ever read?



Honestly, probably Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner. Admittedly, I picked it up from the Adult Fantasy section solely for the gorgeous cover (and the fact it was cheap). The story is based on a 13th century ballad, and Kushner's voice reflects that time period. It's elegant, otherwordly, what my grandmother would call "old timey." The voicing took me a few chapters to adjust to, but the lyricism of her tale is absolutely gorgeous. You get this rich, fantasy world that I haven't been able to find in many other novels. I think sometimes authors get so worked up in trying to make the writing sound "pretty" that they forget to actually tell a story, or the story's so cut and dry, there's really no voicing. This book blends both together perfectly, making for an extraordinary reading experience. No wonder it won the World Fantasy Award!



Where do you dream of traveling to and why?



I would love to visit Scotland and see all the old castles and churches. My family has some Scottish ancestry, too, so it would be neat to see the remains of my old clan's castles. I'd also like to visit Venice and Milan, for their musical history. Athens is another place I'd love to visit, for its history (I love Greek mythology, so it'd be cool to visit its birthplace). For America, New York City is at the top of my list solely for the purpose of seeing Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.



When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?



I like to write of a morning, when my mind is fresh and I'm not stressed out. The ideas seem to flow better. I try to write at least 1,000 words per day, which generally takes me little over an hour to accomplish, depending on if I have an outline or not.



What do you think makes a good story?



Everyone will have a different opinion on what a good book is. Some people I know loved books I hated. For me, a good book is having two main ingredients: 1) rich characters; and 2) a fully realized world for them to inhabit. When I read, I want to be completely transported, to forget about real life. I want to be so attached to the people in the books that I won't want to leave them behind. I've always been attracted to "milleau" stories, or books with a large, fascinating world for you to explore. I think that's why I enjoy Clare's Mortal Instruments, Kagawa's Iron Fey, and Rowling's Harry Potter books so much. It's not "here."



ABOUT THE AUTHOR 

Krystle Jones was born and raised in the small, southern town of Tullahoma, Tennessee. Reading and writing have been lifelong passions of hers. In addition to being a novelist, she is also an award-winning flutist, and moonlights as a voice actress. Her voice can be heard in the popular online game, Alice is Dead 3.


Read more about Krystal Here.

Connect with Krystal:

website  |   blog  |  Goodreads  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  email
 
THANKS FOR LOOKING!

1 comment:

fuonlyknew said...

Great job Laurie and Krystle!
laura thomas