Friday, February 3, 2012

Memoirs of the Damned by Vincent Autega | Interview, excerpt | Featured Debut Author

Andross Ameliyo’s world is constantly beset by tragedy. On a stormy night he is given a choice that will ultimately spell damnation for himself or for those around him. Will he choose revenge or redemption?

Buy it Here:

Hellicious Horrors


Enter to win a digital copy of Memoirs of the Damned.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
This Giveaway ends February 25th 11:59 PM CDT.


When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I can’t really concentrate in the day, my mind hasn’t warmed up plus I feel groggy (like a bear out of hibernation). The night inspires me, especially when writing ominous horror passages or deep seated love poems. There’s something about the night that fills me with fantastic fright. I look out into the cold alleyways from my bedroom window. The pondering of what dangers lurk out there, the feeling I have is real and is transposed into my writing. At night I am at the peak of my philosophical prowess and it is in the twilight that I excel.

How do you describe your writing style?

Classical in a word, I am a real sucker for the days of yore. I have a certain quaint understanding of things and I guess it’s reflected in my writing. When I have debates with my friends they find what I’m trying to say difficult to understand. The reason being I use words they’re not familiar with. I asked them why this is the case, the response was that I talk in poetry.

Typical, my gift is my curse.

But I’m not too bothered, I have a talent and I will flaunt it.

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?

Whenever I think of a story to write it plays in my head like a 30 second movie. So in other words is a blur of ideas and sequences. Sometimes I find something can be added, sometimes I have to remove something because the theme has changed. I have a direction in which I’m going but the route is negotiable. I go with the flow in most instances but I head towards my desired end.

What are you passionate about these days?

THIS, developing a career in writings and becoming a phantom in books. I’m only a fledgling at the moment but want to be a colossal force in the literary world. I have high aspiration but enough heart to see it through. The only thing lacking is opportunity but even that is becoming more frequent. I have a penchant for the dramatic and I am ever trying to further my dream and live my passion. I want to reach those immaculate eiderdowns of thought. Those shining symphonies that resonate throughout all of history. I want those sun-kissed petals of reason to touch my soul. I want to fully immerse myself in the literary arts. I want to live my dreams.

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

The writing world is harsh and cruel; at every turn there is someone there to put you down. Meeting that adversity head on is what will define you as an author, as a writer.

Don’t despair because of the level hypocrisy because every cloud has a silver lining. There are gems in this world too; people out of selflessness want to help you. People like Laurie who through her own kindness wants to help. If you can find these gems of people then half your work is done. They will help you, reinvigorate your standing and help you re-establish the confidence that may have been lost.

Find these gems, these bloggers and reviewers and watch your world change. Hey, even you might change in the process.

At what point in your life did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

Recently when I was hell-bent on being published. Now that this landmark has been reached my sights have gotten higher. I want this to be my life now, but know the road is immense and treacherous. It is in the challenge that I find inspiration and the urge to continue.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Only to those who will read Memoirs of the Damned.

I am not a horror author, that sentiment conjures ideas of boring old men writing stories. I am not a horror author.

I am the puerile insanity Sigmund Freud fantasised about. Cerberus was mine to begin with; I raised him from when he was a puppy. Jack the ripper was my Masonic manservant before I fired him. The muse for David Berkowitz wasn’t my demon cousin possessing the neighbour’s dog, IT WAS ME. Dante Aligheri got the idea for writing his inferno after visiting the 7 levels of my house.

I am the evil reflection in your mirror that imitates as you are looking, but keeps staring at you as you look away. I am the villainy behind your eyes before you sin. I am the evil that resides in your subconscious.

I am NOT a horror author, I am Horror! 
Vincent Autega


Vincent is a 24 year old Business graduate living in Manchester, UK. His interests include martial arts. He has studied a few disciplines including karate and muay thai. He has a big interest in MMA though he doesn’t practice it. Vincent likes poetry.  Aside from novels and short stories he writes poems and is working on two anthologies at present. He studied philosophy a few years and he says that gave him a new perception on life. He used to be an amateur film maker and he has a YouTube channel. He loves theology and finds it a fascinating subject and, finally, he is a bit of a gamer and loves  his PS3.


MeghanGa said...

Thanks so much for the great Giveaway! I love darker themed books :)

Laurie said...

The giveaway winner is Jason Steinmetz. :)