Saturday, February 25, 2012

Blood Avenged by Gabrielle Bisset : Interview

                             Sons of Navarus Book 1
I am everything you desire. I am vampire.

Powerful and manipulative, Vasilije does as he pleases. A vampire beholden to no one, he takes what he desires, drinking deeply the pleasures this life has to offer.

When one of his own is staked, Vasilije must travel to New Orleans to exact his revenge. There he meets Sasa, a beautiful woman who arouses him like no other has for centuries. Vasilije’s need for vengeance is equaled only by his passion for her, but what he finds in his revenge is just the beginning...

Novel length book
Adult sexual situations and language

  Kindle  |  Nook


Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I'd love to travel throughout Europe.  My son and I are talking about taking a trip next year to England, France, Italy, Spain, and Morocco.  I have had a love affair with Europe ever since I was a child.  When I was in my 20s, I moved to Germany with my first husband.  It was so beautiful there.  For me, as a history teacher, Europe has such a rich history.  Not surprisingly, many of my stories are set, at least in part, in Europe. 

Tell us about your current release.

My current release is Blood Avenged.  It's the first book in the Sons of Navarus series.  The main character, Vasilije, is 400 year old vampire who is a complete hedonist.  The world is his oyster.  When one of his favorite vampires is staked in New Orleans, Vasilije travels there to exact his revenge and meets Sasa, a woman who enchants him more than any woman for centuries.  As they unravel the mystery around who killed his vampire, Vasilije and Sasa come to realize that his death was just the beginning of what will change the vampire world forever.

I was lucky enough to travel to New Orleans last Halloween and do firsthand research on the settings in the book.  It was tremendous fun to do on-site research for one of my books, and hopefully I'll get to do it again.

Tell us about your next release.

My next book is the second book in the Sons of Navarus series, Blood Betrayed.  The main character, Saint, is a relatively young vampire, only turned on the battlefield during the First World War. Nicknamed Saint because he won't sleep with any of his vampires, he's haunted by the loss of the woman he loved just after being made vampire, a woman named Solenne.  With the changes in the vampire world, he's been marked for death, and only Solenne can help keep him safe.  But that can only happen if he can finally get over the past and trust her again.

This book is set in southeastern France, a beautiful region that lends itself to the themes of the book.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

Because I work during the day, I write at night after I get home.  I measure my writing by pages since I write everything longhand first, so I keep myself to the pace of writing at least four pages every day. Sometimes that takes an hour or two, but sometimes it takes four or six hours.  Those longer stretches usually leave me pretty exhausted the next day!

What do you think makes a good story?

No matter what genre, a good story has to engage the reader.  In that I don't mean a hook.  Far too often, I see others using gimmicks to get readers to want the book.  That may get them to buy it, but they won't like it.  Gimmicks don't work.  What does is a plot that is interesting, characters the reader can love or hate, and a conflict that keeps the reader wanting more. Above all else, a fiction author must give the reader a reason (or several) to not put down their book. The writing must be good, of course, but without a great plot, conflict, and characters, it doesn't matter how good the writing is.

Plotter or Pantser? Why?

I am a committed plotter.  For me, writing must be logically organized if I'm to produce anything that makes any sense.  I did try the panster idea once, but it made a mess out of my story.  I require order to make sure that everything turns out well.  I outline the entire story beforehand, often taking weeks to do, but once I begin writing, it flows very well. 

What books have most influenced your life?

I loved reading as a child.  I read the Nancy Drew stories and loved the idea of a young woman solving mysteries.  Then I graduated to Agatha Christie mysteries, loving Hercule Poirot.  Finally, I moved on to Doyle's Sherlock Holmes mysteries.  I loved how each of these had such vivid settings and plots, so these have definitely shaped how I read and write.

Then I went to college and fell in love with the classics.  No surprise, I became an English lit major.  Shakespeare, Moliere, Twain, Wharton, and Fitzgerald all made me fall in love with reading again, this time in a different way that required me to think more.  I think all these books have influenced me in ways I probably can't even imagine, but I suspect the influence comes out in my writing.

If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?

Currently, I'm in the middle of the Sons of Navarus series.  As romances, they first and foremost are focused on the romance of the hero and heroine of each book, but the non-romantic storyline involves a power struggle in the vampire world.  The law and order vampires, greedy and manipulative beings called Archons, have begun a takeover of the vampire world to ensure their total control.  They must eliminate the Order of Macaria, made up of the most ancient and revered of all vampires, but standing in their way are the protectors of the Order, the Sons of Navarus.  They must decipher the prophecy foretelling of the Archons rise because if they don't, there will be no way to stop them from taking over the entire vampire world.

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

I love getting up early and getting things done before the world really comes awake, but I'm a night person by nature.  I find that I feel great early and then get a second wind right after dinner, but the time between around noon to four in the afternoon is brutal for me.  Not even energy drinks can help me then.

Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why?

I had an English professor in undergraduate school who stressed how names were often keys to a character's traits, and I firmly believe that names can be quite useful in characterization, whether because of meaning or just the sound of a name.  For example, the main character in Blood Avenged is a powerful vampire sire (one who turns humans into vampires) named Vasilije.  Even if a reader doesn't know his name means "king", he or she can tell by the sound of the name that he's sensual.  The villain in Blood Avenged is a character named Tatiana.  Even though the name might not necessarily mean anything negative, just the sound of it indicates she's powerful. 

I have a baby book of names I use and a website with evil names (no kidding!) for my villains.  I take great care with names, so generally, either the meaning of the name can tell a reader something about the character or the sound of the name can. 


An avid reader of all types of books, I read my first romance even before I was a teenager. I must have been a very precocious young lady! I still remember the book, if not the title. It was about a Southern man during the years before the Civil War and his illicit affair with one of the slaves of a woman he "frequented". I remember vividly reading the word "manhood" often in the book, and the slave's name was Sukie. Isn't it amazing what the mind can remember?

Fast forward a couple dozen years and I'm a college history instructor. I still love history as much as that romantic young woman did, so I teach it to college students, and the romantic streak has never gone away. Now I get to do things that have to do with my other favorite love: romance novels.

The idea for my first book came to me in a dream. I know that seems almost cliched, but it did. I woke up one morning after having an extremely vivid dream and began to jot things down that I was able to remember. Days later, I had the first pages written and the ideas that I had dreamed about had become the characters in my first book.   READ ON


Romance...from sensual to decadent...whatever your desires

Gabrielle Bisset
Blog: Gabrielle Bisset: A Writer's Blog

Amazon Author Page

My books:
Blood Avenged-Available now
Blood Betrayed-Coming this spring!
The Victorian Erotic Romance Trilogy
Destiny Redeemed


Gabrielle said...

Thanks for hosting me today, Laurie! Love your site :)

Abigail-Madison Chase said...

great interview

Diana Scott said...

Great interview, wonderful author! I wish you all the success you absolutely deserve! I can`t wait to read more books written by YOU.