Saturday, January 7, 2012

Twisted Fairy Tales II Anthology by Jaidis Shaw, et al - Interview

Fairy Tales are a part of everyone's life-from childhood sitting in bed while mom reads to the days when you become the parent reading to your children. These are NOT your average Fairy Tales, these are for grown-ups. These nineteen stories take you behind the scenes of classics and show you the other side.

Stories included by: Jocelyn Adams, Shannon Connor Winward, Michael Andre-Driussi, Rachel Ayers, Shiloh Carroll, Tony Peak, L.M. Magalas, Lawrence Vernon, Heather Whittington, Ashley Hendricks, Sylvia Hiven, P.L. Dugand, Arthur Bangs, Sally Anne Croft, William Knight, Sarah Penny-Flynn, Jadis Shaw, Alison J. Littlewood, and Justin A. Williams.

Book Links:

Amazon Paperback  |  Barnes & Noble Paperback


INTERVIEW

If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?
I am currently working on my first series of paranormal romance novels. The books in the series are standalone but all take place in the same town, Juniper Grove.

The first takes a look at Alayna, a girl who lost everything and moves to Juniper Grove to start over. She unknowingly catches the eye of a vampire who has been terrorizing the town and her new neighbor Jayden will do whatever it takes to protect her – even if that means revealing secrets of his own.

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?
Once an idea for a story comes to me I have to outline it all. I create character sketches and plot out major events that I want to occur. I have binders that hold all of my characters and their life stories, likes, dislikes, etc. After that, it is just a matter of filling in the blanks to create the story.

How did you start your writing career?
When I first decided that I would try becoming a published author, I went around looking for open submission calls. I heard an interview once that mentioned publishing companies liking writers to have a resume and a great way to do that is have short stories published in various places.

Tell us about your current release.
Currently I have a short story that appears in the Twisted Fairy Tales Volume II Anthology from Wicked East Press. My story, “The Tower”, takes a darker look Rapunzel and the way things may have happened.

Tell us about your next release.
I have a short story appearing in the upcoming Wicked Bag of Suspense Tales from Wicked East Press. My story, “Blind Justice”, is about a blind crime profiler who is trying to stop a recent string of murders. Wicked Bag of Suspense Tales is due out early this year.
I also have a short story, “Pure Harvest” that will be appearing in an upcoming volume of a web-based serial entitled Railroad! which is written by author Tonia Brown.

Has someone helped or mentored you in your writing career?
There have been several people who have helped me. My mom has been a big supporter and is the one who keeps pushing me to hurry up and write.

Authors Tonia Brown and Lori Titus have been a big influence on me and are the ones I turn to when I have questions or need advice.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?
The hardest part for me is finding the time to sit down and write. I have a 4 year old daughter that keeps me on my toes. I am lucky enough to work from home as the Book Tour Coordinator for Nurture Your Books as well, not to mention keeping up with my blog.
Do you have a Website or Blog?
I have a blog, Juniper Grove, where I share book reviews and help promote fellow authors. The name, Juniper Grove, derives its name from the town where the novels I am currently writing take place. I’ve created my own little world for my novels so it only made sense for me to share my literary journey in a place with the same namesake.    

ABOUT JAIDIS

Jaidis Shaw currently resides in a small town located in South Carolina with her husband and her beautiful daughter. With a passion for reading, Jaidis can always be found surrounded by books and dreaming of new stories. She enjoys challenging herself by writing in different genres and currently has several projects in the works.

When not reading or writing, Jaidis fills the position of Book Tour Coordinator for Nurture Your Books™, maintains this blog and loves encouraging her daughter to let her imagination run wild :)






Social Links:

Nurture Your Books™ NING  |  Facebook  |  Facebook Fan Page  |  Twitter


THANKS FOR LOOKING!

2 comments:

Jaidis said...

Thanks for featuring me today Laurie!

Susan Bennett said...

What a wonderful premise.