Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Teaching Between Midnight and Dawn by Alexandria Infante - Interview, Excerpt | Featured Author | Erotic Paranormal

Arieanna’s life right now seemed nearly complete. Her career was soaring, she had a family who adored her, and her students loved her. Life was simple and uncomplicated. That is until she met Auron. Arieanna doesn’t know that Auron has been sent by a secret priesthood of Saint Cisadore, and is actually there to protect her, the descendant of Ast’ at all cost. His number one objective is to keep that book from entering the hands of the wrong people, in spite of the fact that it might cause his own death. Although exiled nearly two centuries ago, Auron knows that if that book gets to Jimmy Mann, all hell will break lose. Centuries of war will then spill onto a human battle ground, and the Council will do whatever it takes to keep that from happening. The legend says that Arieanna holds the key to the location of Ast’s infamous book of magick; the only problem is, is that she doesn’t know it.


This novel contains graphic sexual situations and is recommended for Mature Readers.



GIVEAWAY
Enter to win a PDF copy of
Teaching Between Midnight and Dawn.
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow Alexandria on Twitter for a bonus entry.
Giveaway ends February 25th 11:59PM CDT.
EXCERPT

This excerpt is suitable for any age reader.



   Arieanna is a 7th grade history teacher. Being adopted at an early age Arieanna appreciates the value of family, even if she has no clue what her birth family is really like. Jenny and Harold are the only parents that she knows; and she’s just fine with that. Arie’s life right now seemed nearly complete. Her career was soaring, she had a family who adored her, and her students loved her. Life was simple and uncomplicated. That is until she met him. Unknown to Arieanna is the fact that Auron has been sent by a secret priesthood of St. Cisadore, and is actually there to protect her, the descendant of Ast’ at all cost.  Arieanna has no clue that a legend was foretold of a young woman being able to wield and use Ast`s infamous book of magick, and she certainly had no inkling that it would be her.

      Auron’s number one objective is to keep that book from entering the hands of the wrong people, in spite of the fact that it might cause his own death. Auron knows that if that book gets to Jimmy Mann all hell will break lose. Centuries of war will then spill onto a human battle ground, and the Council will do whatever it takes to keep that from happening. The Council has a job to do and they don’t care about casualties, even if it means wiping out every last one of them; the Descendant, Lycans, Warlocks, Witches, Shape-shifters and Vampires alike!
   
   The legend says that Arieanna alone holds the key to the location of Ast’s infamous book of magick; the only problem is, is that she doesn’t know it yet! This is to her disadvantage, because those who do know will kill her if they have to, to get their hands on the book and the power that Arianna holds dormant. However, Arianna is sidetracked, because she meets the love of her life in Auron a 475 year old werewolf who was banished from his Företag nearly 200 years earlier. Arianna will invoke great power and only Auron can help her control it, in order to keep her from wiping out both paranormal, and humans alike. Chalk full of  Scottish Lycans, British Vampires, Welsh Warlocks, American Witches, and the legends of Ast’, Sekhmet, Mulkie, and Ast’s/Isis` supposed book of magick; Arie and Auron will find a love that will be tested by not just the supernatural, but the regular everyday relationship hang-ups!


INTERVIEW

How did you start your writing career?

 I read a couple of authors, and thought man oh man could I do this; and I did lol. Plus, I have been a vampire and werewolf freak since my teen years. I loved Forever Night (telling my age here lol) Interview with the Vampire, and Buffy. But what I loved most about each of these works was the Love that is either unrequited, implied, or put off all together because of circumstances. It all leads back to that Romantic Period’s “angst”. I wanted to be a part of that, because I am in love with the idea of love, and a romantic at heart. 

Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?
Yes Multi-racial young women.

I love the Paranormal, but I didn’t see myself reflected in the works that I read; and if I did it was a side character, a supporting character, or a villain; so I thought I’d write my own. Being multi-racial myself (Puerto Rican, Cuban, Native American, Irish and African-American) I wanted to see a character like me, and the fact that this is rare spurred me on. Authors like me tend to get pigeon holed into one specific genre like Minority literature, Latina, African-American, or Ethnic, who hardly ever move out of that; and I think that this is completely unfair. I hoped by writing what I believe the genre should encompass, people would see the book for the story and negate the race of the character; that being, anyone could place themselves in the shoes of the character, not just someone of a minority background.
   

 I'm sure I'm prejudiced by plenty of things though lol. I discover brainwaves in songs, movies, the world at large, or just simple phrases sometimes. I love to write at Starbucks, because the bustling people always inspire me. The nasty woman impatiently yelling at the Starbuck`s employee, because she gave her a mocha coffee instead of a mocha latté becomes a villain, the Hugh Jackman look alike becomes the next wolf, the sexy emo guy ordering the Eggnog latte` becomes the next Master of the city for my vamps, the hot blonde ordering the Tazo berry tea becomes the next warlock; and the tiny brunette might actually become the next main female character. I love to write at night, especially since I write paranormal. Rainy nights are good for scenes of action, but full moon nights always seem to give me the most creativity.  People in general instigate me to create something new. I base both my Paranormal and Fae series on mythology, so I am constantly inspired by a new myth, new legends, or new facts about lost artifacts; and I incorporate them into my books.

If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?

Lol, actually I have. Teaching Between Midnight and Dawn is just the first in a series that I am doing. I have written 11 so far, but then wanted to go with a different concept for book 11. I came up with a new book 11, and made the previous book 11 book 12 lol. Each book in the series gets darker, more sensual, and features a new myth, whether it be Spartacus and the Roman Games, Ancient Blackfoot Legends, the Japanese Sun Goddess, Gargoyles, Secret Church societies/ Tantric and Demons,  Three day Love Fest (PG version of the word lol) to the God Bacchus, and the Goddess Demeter; or the Keltic God Dagda.  However , they all center around the myths of Ast` (Isis), Osiris and Sekhmet.

I also have a Fae series, and they too are centered around the myths, only this time Keltic, Finnish and Scandinavian.

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

Well that depends.

If I’m writing a fight scene, then something like Disturbed, 30seconds to Mars, Crossfade, Trapt, Evanescence, or NickleBack. I used to listen to Paramore too, but well then there’s that lil T.W thing, and since I am not a particular fan of it ( Fan of Steph and her popularity lol, hook me up Steph!!), but I don’t anymore.

 If I’m doing dialogue, Kings of Leon, Dave Matthew’s band,  Emmy Rosum, Natasha Bedingfield.

But whooh hoo… if I’m doing a very sensual scene, then I have to go back to my Afro-Latin roots; and it has to be R&B, what we call baby makin music lol; Jon.b, Trey Songz, Prince,  Tyrese to name just a few.

At what point in your life did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

Oh man, it feels like forever. I wrote my first play at 15 or 16 lol, and it was coined after Shakespeare. Needless to say it was a true tragedy lol, but I loved it just the same because I wrote it. I’ve always loved to read and make up stories as a child, and if ever my mother was searching for me; all she needed to do was look under my bed or in the closet; and there I was either writing or with my nose stuck in a book. It only seemed natural that writing would come next. Yet, we grow up and have to make sacrifices and choices that we sometimes don’t want, and the things that we really love get tossed to the backburner. I have had a very lucrative career as a Ex. Sou Chef (16 years), but decided that I didn’t want to do that for the rest of my life; and became a teacher (4 years now). It is because of the career change that I am finally able to do what I love. J

What's the strangest way you've sold a book/story (either to a reader or to a publisher/agent)?

I was in a sports bar full of men watching football! That was classic cuz I am soo not a fan. Anyway, here we are tossing back shots of Patron, and drinking Corona’s when this macho looking guy sitting next to me turns and drunkenly asks me if I like Twilight. I reply in a negative, and then start laughing because he slurs that he, “Sooo loves it!” We struck up a conversation with like 4 other drunken guys, and my bf said that I was a writer as well. They wanted the information to buy the book, and I figured that they were way too ****faced to remember me, but all 4 sent me a facebook message saying that they bought it lol. That was insane!

Tell us about your next release.

Hopefully it will be Teach Me the Night lol. That is the second book in the Teaching Between Midnight and Dawn series.

Blurb for Teach Me the Night

   Jobey was one of the best new celebrity Chef's L.A. had seen in a long while. Her career was soaring, she had the Laguna Beach hottie at her side; and her new restaurant was the hippest L.A. Night spot in town. It was all that she had ever dreamed about, and it was coming true.

   She thought that her life was finally coming into place; everything that she had worked so hard for was finally hers!

    That is until one of L.A.'s finest got food poisoning from her restaurant, she was sued in civil court, and her one and only restaurant closed in one year. Not to mention, the beach hottie seemed to instantly disappear; and Jobey just knew that he had something to do with her restaurant closing.

    With her career in the toilet, Jobey knew that it was time for a change, and a sigh of hope. She figured that her life couldn't get any more chaotic. At least that's what she thought until she met him at Taboo.

    Saix had been  Sephoroth’s Secundă for the last 451 years, and everyday he cared less and less what he thought. They're last fight had been truly vicious, but what had surprised Saix, was the fact that he didn't care one way or the other if Sephoroth actually ended his life. Since Lexera's death, nothing in life, or his undead existence meant anything to him anymore.

    That was until he spotted her in the Walgreens with her four friends.

Saix watched as she walked into the Walgreens, and realized that she was oblivious to nearly everything and everyone around her. She was beautiful though, he thought watching her with a slight smile. It wasn’t beauty like the four other women, but something so quiet that it silently called out to him, drawing her to him. He knew in an instant, that he'd found the one thing worth living for.


He would surely see her...again.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR


It's been my dream to be a writer since I was a teenager, and although I'm older now and have had several different careers, it is still my #1 dream. I grew up with a Cuban father, and my mother is Native American, Puerto Rican, Irish and African-American; so culture was a huge concept in my house. I grew up listening to people like Celia Cruz, Harry Belafante` and Tito Fuentes, just to name a few, with a mixture of Coltrane and Miles Davis, because this was my parents.
But at the same time my abuelito, my pappi` taught me to Salsa on his feet, and swing to big band. My family was and still is very eclectic. I speak both Spanish and English, and I embrace each of my backgrounds fully, which makes it kind of hard finding just the right niche sometimes.

However, I tend to believe that love is color blind, and am in love with the idea of being in love. It is my express wish to show this, and hope that others feel the same way. To me, a delicious looking man, is just that; and color, race, creed, has nothing to do with it. Yummy is yummy! Sometimes identifying with the character is not all that matters, its the aspect of being taken outside of your comfort zone to experience someone else's cultural background;and their life as they see it.


Website  |  Blog  |  Google +  |  TimblrEternal Press Author Page 

  Facebook  |  Podcast  |  Twitter  |  YouTube



No comments: