Sunday, January 8, 2012

Love Hurts by Catherine Green - Interview, Mini Excerpt

The Cornish town of Redcliffe is a beautiful seaside resort. It has wild sea, rambling forests, mysterious cliffs, and a local powerful werewolf pack. Jessica Stone is blissfully happy running a bookshop with her best friend and business partner, Elizabeth Gormond. When Detective Jack Mason sweeps Jessica off her feet, she cannot understand the hostility towards him from her gay best friend Simon Bunce. Eventually Jessica realises that there is more to Jack Mason than meets the eye, and then she meets his identical twin brother, Danny. She is drawn into their dangerous lives by their enemy, a powerful werewolf determined to overthrow the pack leader. Jessica's world is turned upside down as she discovers that all is not as it seems in this picturesque resort, and there are many painful lessons to be learnt about falling in love...
Buy it in Print:
Also available in Kindle format.
This book is currently in my TBR.  I am hopeful I can read/review it in March or April.
MINI EXCERPT
 “She is connected to the job in Scotland; they both are.” he said, “I’m sorry Jessica; it looks like we have inadvertently drawn you into our mess.  I need to find Jack and go sort this out.  Please promise me you will stay home, don’t answer the door unless you know who it is, and phone Jack or me if you get worried about anything, no matter how small or trivial.  Will you do that?”

     He grabbed my shoulders, staring directly into my eyes, and I gasped, shocked at his forcefulness.  I nodded, feeling sick with nerves.
 
     “Yes of  course.” I said, “Am I in danger?  What about Liz?” 

     He relaxed slightly and eased his grip on me.
  
     “Liz will be fine,” he said, “she is of no concern to them.  But they seem to have found out about you and your relationship with Jack and me.  You don’t need to be overly concerned just yet; hopefully we can settle this tonight.  Please just stay home and keep all your doors locked and your mobile phone handy, ok?”
 
     I nodded and Danny left, saying he would call Jack on the way.
INTERVIEW
How did you start your writing career?

My writing career started after a conversation with my younger sister. I told her I had a story in my head, and she forced me to write it down and send it to her in instalments. From there I was motivated to search out online writing jobs, entered short story competitions, and completed my debut novel Love Hurts.

Tell us about your current release.

Love Hurts is about a young woman (Jessica Stone) who runs a bookshop in Cornwall with her best friend. She falls in love with a local police detective (Jack Mason) and later discovers that he is a vampire, and that his identical twin brother (Danny Mason) is a werewolf. She is dragged into their complicated and dangerous lives, to her detriment, where secrets are told and lives are lost...


Tell us about your next release.

Love Kills is the sequel in my Redcliffe series. Redcliffe is the fictional seaside town in Cornwall where my stories are set. In this book Jessica recovers from her ordeal and tries to come to terms with the revelations about the man she loves, her friend Simon Bunce, and her own true heritage. She has to fight for her own life and Jack’s when faced with his jealous vampire master. But things are never simple, and a vampire master is not so easy to defeat…

Tell us about your family.

My husband is a Chartered Waste Manager and part time lead guitarist for a local rock band. Our baby daughter is approaching her first birthday, and she is one spoilt first grandchild! We have a Staffydoodle dog named Baxter. He is a rescue dog, we think he is around 5 years old, and he still acts like a puppy, all playful and boisterous. We also have two pet turtles named Duck and Ashton. One is a Cumberland Slider and the other a River Cooter. 

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Well actually I always wanted to be an author! Some days I wanted to be a ballerina, until I discovered how much pain they put their feet through, then I changed my mind. During my teen years I wanted to be a children’s TV presenter on Nickelodeon. My other aspiration was to be a librarian, so you could see that books were always pretty important to me.

What are your favorite TV shows?

I am quite predictable here. My current favourite TV shows are True Blood, the Vampire Diaries, and a show on BBC called Being Human, which is about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost. Aside from paranormal, I also enjoy watching Grand Designs (about building homes), Family Guy, and the Simpsons.

Do you have a milestone birthday coming up? If so, how are you approaching it?

Yes I do. I am about to reach the grand old age of 30! It follows just two days after my daughter’s first birthday, so it will be overshadowed slightly. I had an idea that I could go for a night out with some friends, and celebrate in our traditional way with alcohol and dancing. We haven’t done that in a very long time, so it could be messy! My husband and me are having a short break with our daughter to a surprise location in the UK, as a joint birthday present from my in-laws, which will be lovely. I was quite upset and feeling old, but now I’m over it and looking forward to the next stage in my life. It’s all good!

Do you have a Website or Blog?

I have both! My website is http://www.catherine-green.co.uk where you can view a free short story set in Redcliffe.

My blog site is http://www.spookymrsgreen.wordpress.com Here you can read some other short stories, my ghost hunter diaries, and various articles about my experiences as a medium and emerging pagan.

GIVEAWAY

I am offering a free eBook copy of Love Hurts to 2 lucky winners. All you have to do is post a message on my Facebook fan page OR send me a Tweet. Mention the blog site and reference my interview, and I will select 2 winners within 1 week of my feature. Make sure you leave a contact email address, or send it to me in a private message, and I will send your book.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Catherine grew up in the small market town of Cheadle in North Staffordshire, close to Alton Towers theme park. She spent her childhood engrossed in books, especially those by her favourite authors Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, and Frances Hodgson Burnett. As she grew older she discovered Judy Blume, Jacqueline Wilson and LJ Smith, and all of these combined to develop her own imagination.

After attending a local college to study A-Levels, Catherine moved to university in Lampeter, Mid Wales and studied film and media. It was here that her characters for Love Hurts really started to develop, but she never dared write down her stories. She finally knuckled down to some serious writing only two years ago, at the insistence of her younger sister. It was at this time that she also secured the job of contributing writer for www.suite101.com

Aside from writing Catherine is a deeply spiritual person. She is a Medium and ghost hunter and regularly attends Mind, Body and Spirit events for psychic readings and holistic therapies. Catherine is a strong believer in life after death, because she cannot accept that there is simply nothing more beyond the physical life we know, especially after her own personal experiences.

Connect with Catherine:

Website  |  Blog   |   Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads


THANKS FOR LOOKING!

No comments: