Thursday, January 5, 2012

Justice for Emily by Sandy Wolters - Interview & Excerpt

Rachael Merchant is on a cross country trip running from the tragic images of her last case that are embedded deep in her soul. She is a City of Phoenix Homicide Detective that is trying to deal with the freak show her life has become.

Three days ago, she was sitting in a hospital room with a man that had just murdered his three small children because he was angry his wife had left him. After making the arrest, she let the perpetrator know that when he got out of prison she was coming after him. He would not be able to hide from her. She left the hospital, went back to work and quit on the spot.

After a great deal of persuading, her captain convinced her that an indefinite leave of absence was in order instead of quitting. She went home, packed her bags and jumped in the car. With no destination in mind, she just drove.

Rachael found herself on the side of the road, unsure of where she was and on the phone with her partner. All she wanted to do was run as fast and as far as she could from the image of those three small babies with bullets in their bodies.

Officer Patrick Sheehan pulls in front of Rachael while she is bent over the hood of her car looking at a map. He overhears the conversation between Rachael and her partner and thanks fate for dropping a homicide detective right in his lap. His good friend, Emily, was murdered just days ago and Patrick knows who killed her, her husband and his boss, the Chief of Police of Brownwood, Texas.

Boyd Campbell has taken extreme measures to cover up his wife's murder but Patrick is going to do everything in his power to put this monster away. He doesn't care what he has to do or say to get this cop to stay and work this case. He needs her help and she is just going to have to deal with it. She could just blame fate for bringing her here when he needed her expertise. After all, the only important thing at the moment is getting Justice For Emily.




EXCERPT






He said, “I have a spare bedroom.  I want you to stay the night and get some rest.  Tomorrow is Saturday, and we can sit back, relax and enjoy the whole day.”
She smiled at him and said, “I usually get hungry in the middle of the night.  You won’t shoot me if you find me raiding your refrigerator, will you?”
He laughed and said, “You’re safe with me.”
He stared into her eyes and said very quietly, “I’ll share everything I have with you.”
Time stopped as they looked into each other’s eyes, each of them searching for something that neither of them could identify nor even express verbally.  They were both a little stunned at how quickly they seemed to be drawn to each other.
She smiled and said, “I’m not sleeping with you.”
He smiled back at her and said, “Maybe not tonight, but you will.”
Grateful for the support he had given her, she reached up and touched his cheek.  She looked into his eyes and said, “Okay, I’ll stay, but I’m really not going to sleep with you.”
He smiled.
They went to her car and brought her bags in.  He said, “The bedroom is back here.  Follow me.”
As they went into the room, they set her bags on the bed, and he turned to her and said, “Rachael …”
At that moment an older woman walked into the room and interrupted him.  “Patrick, why did you put her bags in here?  Take them to your room.”  She walked up to Rachael, put her hands on Rachael’s face and said, “You are a beauty, aren’t you, love.  What took you so long to get here?”
Since her face was being held by this woman that she could only assume was Patrick’s mother, she couldn’t turn to look at Patrick.  She said, “Ma’am, I think you’ve got me confused with someone else.  We just …”
“Nonsense, girl.  You are the woman that my Patrick has been waiting for.”
“Ah …”
“Now hush, girl.  Patrick, didn’t I ask you to move those bags into your bedroom?  Get moving, boy, I’m getting anxious for my grandbabies.  Go.”
She returned her attention back to Rachael and said, “My son needs you.  He can already feel it.  That’s why he behaved like such an idiot before.  I must say that he gets that from his daddy.  My husband, Aiden, never did like it when I spoke to another man.  It drove him crazy.”
“Ah …”  Rachael turned to Patrick and notice he looked as though he was completely in shock that his mother was behaving like this.
She said, “Patrick, maybe I should leave the room for you to discuss this matter with your mother.”
Patrick just stood there, transfixed, looking at his mother like he was in utter shock.  Rachael thought, oh boy, I’d never have thought of Patrick as being a mama’s boy, so I guess that means I need to take matters into my own hands.
Rachael reached out to grab his mother’s hand “Ma’am, I …”
“Please, I would be honored if you would call me mom.  You are going to be my daughter soon enough anyway.”  Mom gave Rachael a smile that was so warm and full of sincerity that Rachael was taken aback and returned the smile.
“Okay.  Ah, mom, I really think you have misunderstood the situation here.  I’m just passing …”
“Nonsense, girl.  I’ve been telling my son about you since he was a wee boy.”
She turned to Patrick and said, “Don’t you remember, Paddy, the stories I told you about the woman that would become your wife?  I told you that she would have the gift.  I also told you that she had hair as golden as the wheat, but with a touch of the Irish in it.  Look at her hair, Paddy.  Isn’t it as beautiful as I told you?”
She turned her attention back to Rachael and said, “I’m going to make you and my son a little bedtime snack.”  She reached up and squeezed Rachael’s arms.  With a knowing grin, she said, “If he’s anything like his father, you’re going to need it!”  Mom laughed and then in a move that completely disarmed Rachael, took her into her arms and gave her the best, warmest, most sincere hug she had ever had in her life.  It made her feel all of the warmth this woman had to offer, and to Rachael’s surprise, she didn’t want to let go of her.
Mom said in Rachael’s ear, “You take care of my boy.  I’m entrusting him to you.”  She turned, winked at Patrick and left the room humming an Irish tune.
Patrick and Rachael stood there, watching the doorway that mom went through, and Rachael said, “What kind of snack do you think she’s going to make us?”
She looked at Patrick, and he looked as though he was going to fall over.  He was pale and had beads of sweat forming on his forehead.
She went to him and touched his arm.  Nothing, he didn’t move.  He didn’t blink.  He didn’t look at her.  Her first thought was that he must be horrified that his mother had made the assumptions she had about them.
“Maybe you need to sit down.”
She guided him to the bed and said, “Please don’t be embarrassed about what your mom said.  We’ve all had to deal with those embarrassing parent moments.  If it makes you feel any better, just think about how you can embarrass your children in the future.”
He looked almost comatose.  His eyes weren’t blinking.  His breathing was a bit labored.  He was pale.
“What the hell is wrong with you?  I’m sure your mom has made these kinds of assumptions before.  Look, I realize I’m no catch.  I promise that I won’t hold you to what your mother said, but give me a break, you don’t have to make it seem like it would be such a horror to be interested in me.”
Nothing.  He wasn’t saying anything.  “I’m starting to get really angry here.  I think I’ll just find a hotel.  Thanks for the hospitality.”  She started to get up, and he grabbed her arm.
He looked into her eyes with curiosity as if searching for answers and said, “My mother has been dead for ten years.”
She got a cold chill and said, “Then who was that?”
His grip on her arm grew stronger.  He said, “That was my mother.”
Her legs went weak, and she sat on the bed next to Patrick.  Neither spoke for quite a while.  Finally she said, “Ah, does she come to see you often?”
Still shaken, he said, “This is the first time I’ve actually seen her.  It’s hard to explain.  Normally I feel her around me.”  He shrugged, “It’s like she is watching out for me.”
He turned and grabbed her hands and held on tight.  “Please don’t think I’m crazy.  I sometimes just talk to her like she’s in the room with me.  I always feel as if she is here and listening to me.  But this …”
Rachael reached out and touched his face.  She said, “Let’s go into the living room and have a drink, a great big drink.”




INTERVIEW

Tell us about your current release.

I currently have three books out. My first, Maggie Mae, is a steamy contemporary romance with a ghostly paranormal twist. My second, Justice For Emily, is a steamy romance/suspense/thriller with a ghostly paranormal twist. My third, for those that do not like as much steam, A Brother's Love, is a romance/suspense/thriller with a ghostly paranormal twist.

I love writing ghosts of loved ones into my stories.  They play such different roles in each of my books.  As you can tell by the excerpt for Justice For Emily, sometimes they add a bit of comic relief to a storyline that deals with very difficult subject matter.

Tell us about your next release.

I'm really excited about my next book.  It is different than anything I've ever written before.  The name of the book will be Soul Mates.  It will primarily by a steamy historical romance with some really cool magic thrown in.

Does your significant other read your stuff?

My husband, Michael, is my biggest supporter.  It's funny because the man just doesn't like to read.  When he found out that I was writing my first book, he got that look on his face.  That's right, ladies.  All married women know that look.  It's the, "Oh no!  She's doing something new.  I'm going to have to pretend that it's really good." look. LOL

When I finished Maggie Mae, I was so nervous to give it to him.  I told him that I was counting on him to tell me the truth.  I really needed an objective opinion.  I thought that since he really doesn't like to read, he'd get through a couple of pages and call it quits. 

After an hour of me wearing the tile out from pacing through the kitchen, I peeked into the living room and he was still reading.  I paced the kitchen some more.
After another hour, I peeked into the living room again.  He was crying.  I had hit pay dirt!  My husband was really enjoying the book!

He put it down and gave me a big hug.  He said, "You know I don't like to read, but I think this is really good.  You've got to do something with this."
 
I just love that man!

Tell us about your family.

I have been married to the most wonderful man in the world for 33 years.  We were high school sweethearts.  Together, we've raised two beautiful, strong, independent women. 

My daughters, their lifestyles, their career choices, their strength of character, and their stubbornness, are the inspiration for my lead female characters in my books. 

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

My taste in music is just as eclectic as my taste in movies or books.  I like it all.  I grew up listening to Tammy Wynette and George Jones, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett.  I can still picture my mom moving through the house and singing tunes from these fabulous artists in that beautiful Dianh Shore like voice of hers.  So I guess you could say that I have a special bond to many of the older artists. 
As for the newer stuff, my Ipod is filled with Sugarland, George Thorogood, Celine Dion, Pink, No Doubt, Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson, just to name a few.  Like I said, eclectic.  The last time I checked, I had about 4,000 songs on my Ipod.

What is your favorite meal?

My very favorite meal is chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and white gravy, fried okra, homemade rolls.

When Mike and I got married 33 years ago, all I knew how to cook was chicken fried steak.  We literally had it every night for the first month of our marriage.  I really married a saint.  Thank God he loves chicken fried steak as much as I do.  Finally, he came to me and said, "I love this food, but I've gained 30 pounds in one month.  We have to start eating something else."  LOL

Now, being older and much more health conscious, we only eat it once every few months.  I miss the good old days.

Do you have a Website or Blog?

I host a blog called Sandy's Spotlight that I introduce fabulous authors to avid readers every other Friday.  I provide information about the author and a book review for the featured book.  Starting in mid December 2011, I also host a book discussion to run simultaneously with the author and book that is appearing on Sandy's Spotlight for readers to interact with the featured author.  No invitation needed!  Everyone is welcome to join in.

 
 

Website   |  Blog  

Goodreads  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  




GIVEAWAY

Enter for a chance to win a digital copy of Justice for Emily.
"Like" Sandy on Facebook for a bonus entry.
A second winner will be chosen if more than 10 peeps comment on this post
(not including author posts or my posts).
This Giveaway ends Jan 21st 11:59 PM Central Time.










ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Sandy Wolters is an author and blogger. Her genre of choice is contemporary romance and romance/suspense/thriller, both with a ghostly paranormal twist.  “Nothing beats a good romance, especially when those you love and have lost come back to assist you in unexpected ways when you need them most.” 

She hosts a blog called Sandy's Spotlight that introduces fabulous authors to avid readers every other Friday.  There she provides information about the author and a book review for the featured book.  Starting in mid December 2011, Sandy also hosts a book discussion that runs simultaneously alongside Sandy's Spotlight giving readers the opportunity to interact with the featured spotlighted author.  No invitation needed!  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Website   |  Blog 

THANKS FOR LOOKING!!

11 comments:

fra & fede said...

Thanks for this international GA, the book seems really good! :)

Sandy said...

Laurie, Thank you so much for putting this beautiful interview together.

I'm so excited and so honored to tell you and your viewers that I have just received some really great news! The Paranormal Romance Guild has nominated my book, Justice For Emily, as one of the Reviewer's Choice 2011 Best Reads in the Reviewer's Choice category! Woot!

Sandy said...

Fra, Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by Laurie's wonderful blog and leave a comment! It's nice to meet you.

snoozingonthesofa said...

Sandy,

Congratulations on your nomination. That's fantastic news! I hope you win.

Scott

Maria D. said...

Congratulations to Sandy on the nomination for Justice for Emily. I loved the excerpt, this sounds just like the kind of paranormal romantic suspense book I love to read!

junegirl63 at gmail dot com

Sandy said...

Maria,

Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting! If you love the ghosts of loved ones coming back to help out when needed, I think you'd like my books! Good luck on the drawing!

Tim Greaton said...

Great interview!

Markee Anderson said...

Great job, Sandy!!! :)

Sandy said...

Tim & Markee, Thanks so much for stopping by!

AdriLisa said...

Just visited your site http://sandywolters.weebly.com/ Hoping to feature there one day soon!
sugarandsalt (at) hotmail (dot) ca

Sandy said...

AdriLisa, I'm so glad you liked my website and blog! Thanks for visiting. Feel free to contact me on my "Contact Me" tab.