Wednesday, January 25, 2012

In Love With Death by Y. Correa - Interview, Give@way | Featured Author


"In Love With Death" is a fantasy fiction novel for the ages. This story is a Interracial, supernatural/paranormal, action adventure, romance.

A great Romantic Halloween Read...

Here is a look at the back cover:


A dull roar. That's all I could hear. Souls. That's all I could see. So many people. Some good. Some bad. Some breathing. Some barely breathing. All souls. It was funny what you could see when you stood in the middle of the Emergency Room. Who survived. Who didn't. All of them, every one, a soul. A soul for the taking. So begins your introduction to the floating, clustered world of souls that will have such influence on Sophia, the young Hispanic American girl who has just lost her closest ally, her grandmother Abuela. It is just after the funeral, at the cemetery, where Sophia meets the tall, almost angelic man who will play such an unexpected role in her life. A love story. A fantasy. An adventure. In Love with Death tells a tale of "fate" far beyond the normal meaning of that little four letter word. How else would you explain why Sophia falls so deeply in love with death?


Kindle  |  Goodreads   


GIVEAWAY
Enter  below for a chance to win a digital copy of
In Love With Death. Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Like Y Correa on Facebook for a bonus entry.
Giveaway ends February 18th 11:59PM CDT.


HTML lessons
EXCERPT



A dull roar. That's all I could hear. Souls. That's all I could see. What was this that I was living? If you could call it “living” at all. I didn't see people, but shadows. I didn't feel life, but death. I didn't feel emotions, but emptiness. I didn't feel... anything. It was all a blur. Clustered together in an array of colors and shapes. The sound, that low roar... it was difficult to make out. My thoughts were focused, not so much on the sound, as they were on the colors. So many people. All different. Some good. Some bad. Some breathing. Some barely breathing. ALL SOULS. It was funny what you could see when you stood in the middle of the Emergency Room. Who survived. Who didn't. Who cried. Who laughed. Who mourned. Who celebrated. Yet, all of them, everyone; A soul. A soul for the taking.    
     I remembered... almost.... what it was like when I floated in the middle of this cluster myself. Before my life... or should I say; my death... changed forever. It felt like aeons ago. I didn't want this. I never asked for it. Why was I not allowed to be like everyone else? “Fate” This was the answer I was given. “Fate” What a bleak and meaningless word to express something no one can truly explain.    
     I wanted... No! I needed, a change. My vast emptiness had drowned me in a lagoon of unwillingness. In a river of curiosity. In an ocean of questions. Questions, unanswered by the Higher Sources. Questions, that still lingered in the clouds of my emptiness. Why am I? Why do I exist? What's the purpose? When (if at all) would it change?
     I had a plan. A plan to subtly replace myself once again into this world of colorful souls. To persuasively introduce myself yet again, to THIS my most intriguing temptation. I believe I am, whom I once was. This, wasn't me. This, is who I was forced to be. Yet, I fought. I disputed this unwanted persona that had been involuntarily cast upon me. One day! One day, I would be who I once was. One day! This monster would cease to exists.
     Bed two. The doctors, the running, the yelling. The focus on bringing her back. It was futile. It was sad to say that she was just a child. A baby. Five years of age. Why did FATE find in necessary to take her? She had yet to even start to live. It was not my choice. I only followed orders.  Her soul was lovely, just as a little girl should be. A soft pink. Like a princess. Beautiful.
     “Come child.” I extended my hand so that she would take it.
     “Where am I going?” she asked. The innocence in her voice was heart breaking. Or would be, if I had a heart.
     “I'm taking you to a safe place. Somewhere that you will never feel pain again. You will be happy there, sweet child.”
     “Cindy” She said. “My name is Cindy.”
     “A beautiful name, for a beautiful girl.” her smile seemed as if it could quite literally light up the room.
     “Well Cindy, do you see that very pretty light?”
     “Yes.” she said with bright eyes.
     “Walk into it. Go on child. Pretty Cindy.”
     “But why? Where's mommy and daddy? Why do I have to go?” there they were. The questions that always came up after I had collected them.
     “Don't worry, Cindy. Your grandmother is there waiting for you. I promise. Before you know it, Mommy and Daddy will be there with you also.” What else was I to say to such a new and delicate creature?
     “Okay...” she said, not so convinced that what I was telling her was the truth. She obeyed nonetheless. When she entered, she realized that my words were true and secure.
     “Grammy!!” she called out with utter happiness.    
     I turned. The mother, yelling. The father, failing at his attempt to be strong. The doctor, saddened. The confusion. The horrified faces. All of it, ALL too familiar. ALL too real.
     Time for my next assignment...

    I could see them. I could see through them. They could not see me. They could not hear me. I was invisible to them. My lifelessness simply hovered in the emptiness of it's days. Following orders. Swiftly moving like a shadow in the night. Not seen. Not heard. Not felt.
     Inevitably, unwillingly noticed. Noticed only, by those whom had entered into my realm. Into my Principality.
     One A.M., darkness, silence. He was depressed. The prescription was strong enough. Strong enough, not to ease his pain, but to rid him of it once and for all. Twenty-five, in his prime, yet blind. Blinded to the people who cared about him, and to the life that could have come; had he held on just a little longer.
     These were not my favorite. I despised collecting them and passing them on to eternal darkness. I had no choice. He had made the choice for himself. Leaving me no alternative but to collect him.
     He should have waited for the Higher Sources to give him relief. Yet, he didn't.
     “Peter.” I knew his name well. I'd been watching him for some time.
     “What? Who are you? Why are you in my bedroom?” The confusion was the consequence of his own actions.
     “I'm here to get you.” A simple notion; I would have thought.
     “To get me for what? I should be sleeping.... I.... I took... You shouldn't be here!!” He remembered, however, he thought that something else should have happen. Possibly, he thought that he would be sleeping forever. He was wrong.
     He looked back, “Oh my God. That's me.... on my God! Oh no! No please... No!” It was too late to plea.
     “Come with me, Peter.” I instructed.
     “But... th-th-this can't be..... right...” he swallowed hard, it was obvious that he was scared.
     “You made your choice. Now follow me.” I had to be cold. I was not allowed to feel. The fear was oppressing him. They'd arrived for him. I truly despised this part.
     “It's easier if you just go.”
     “I don't want to go! I want to stay! I want to sleep!”
     “Then you leave them no choice. They will take you.”
     They grabbed him. Screaming, crying, fear! Dreadful fear! They dragged him into the utter eternal darkness. I was able to hear his last supplication for help. More fear. I was unable to help him. I was meant to simply follow orders.
     Centuries have passed since my life, or my death, was changed forever. I still remember it clearly...


INTERVIEW

How did you start your writing career?

I had just been laid off from my current employment as a preschool teacher, I'd been looking for work for weeks and couldn't find anything. As I was sitting all day, doing nothing, I was reading through the Twilight Series for the gazilionth time (Which I happen to love by the way). And, felt tired, so I laid down for a nap. As I was dozing off, I thought to myself, “If they can do it; Why can't I?”, and just as I thought that, the opening scene of my story came rushing into my mind. I jumped up to put it on paper, and everything immediately started pouring. The story took on a life of it's own. And, I loved every minute of it! I was done within a month! It was incredibly exciting, as I had been told for so long that “Writing is waste of time” and “You'll never make it in that field!” along with many other negative things, as I have always displayed a love for the art of writing. It was FANTASTIC to prove those individuals wrong!

Tell us about your current release.

I currently have two releases. The first is “In Love with Death”, and the second is called “La Encantadora/The Enchantress” they are two parts to a collection. “In Love with Death” being the first of the two.

Tell us about your next release.

I am working on 3 more stories. The first I've titled “Finding Death” and it is part 3 of the collection. The next is called “MarcoAntonio and Amaryllis” and it is an adult medieval romance, and the last I've titled “Fate, Love and Desire: Romantic Minis” and it's a compilation of several short stories that I've written.

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

I have no significant other (I don't know why... Lol), my parent's just don't get it, but my kids are nothing but supportive. It's amazing seeing them imitate me, as they also try to write their own stories or art. The sad thing is they say “Mom, I know I'm not as good as you, but...” then that's when I tell them that they are probably a millions times better than me but just don't know it yet.

How do you describe your writing style?

I have two distinct writing styles. The first is “first person basis” and the second is very much “narrative”... but for the most part it's just me! Lol

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Well to “fit in” like every child in my school, I wanted to be a Veterinarian or a Doctor. Yet, deep down inside  I really wanted to be 3 things; A singer, a teacher or a writer. And I accomplished most of those. However, the singer part, I found to be much harder than anticipated. Lol

What is your favorite meal?

I know it's ridiculously unhealthy, but the answer to that question is, Fried Chicken and Chocolate! Not on top of each other. Lol... But, I can have Fried Chicken and Chocolate almost every day without protest! Yuuuumo!!

What do you do to unwind and relax?

Unwind, relax; What's that? Lol... Just kidding! My favorite things to do to unwind and relax are play with my kids, curl  up on the couch very comfy and cozy like and watch a few movies, pick up a book, or host a party (yep, that's right... host a party). Most people find that to be a chore, but I'm very much the “hostess” at heart, as I love to cook and all that.

Goodreads  |  Website  |  Blog  |  Twitter  |  Facebook



THANKS FOR LOOKING!

5 comments:

fra & fede said...

Thanks for this international GA ^^ I love fried chicken too *o*

sparklejewelsp59@yahoo.com said...

great give away chicken fried who dont love fried chicken..

bn100 said...

I enjoyed the interview and the excerpt. The book sounds very good.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

The Zoo said...

I love all types of books and would love to read this! Thanks for the chance.

swak50 at hotmail dot com

MoonShineArt said...

Sounds like a great book, i think im suppose to comment here & like on face book for chance to win ebook. Hope that's how to enter. Greatest of luck to you.