Saturday, January 28, 2012

Equilibrium: Slayer's Heart by Catharina Shields - Interview | Featured Author | Paranormal

To protect and serve the balance of the universe...

Buffy meets Blade without the butch in this action-packed paranormal romance.


Vampires, demons, a rebellious werecat, and impossible male chauvinist colleagues are just a few problems Seattle P.D.'s spunky rookie cop, and Slayer Maiden, Samantha Kensington, has to deal with.

Not much of a social butterfly, her only friends are Chi, a mysterious Chinese monk and her live-in mentor, and her obese pet cat, Sammie.

As Slayer Maiden, Samantha is an indestructible warrior. She possesses an arsenal of equally indestructible weapons such as her morphable, and inexhaustible, crystal shards and...the Slayer's sword, the Emerald Empress.

Just three months shy of her twenty-fourth birthday, the age when all Slayers perish, Samantha knows she's running out of time. Things take a turn for the worse when she's teamed up with enigmatic Detective Julien Chateau, and can’t get him out of her mind or dreams!

Now, not only does she have to battle mobster Gabrianni's growing army of vampires, but she has to guard her sensitive heart when she feels powerfully drawn to her new partner.
For the legendary Slayer Maiden is invincible unless her slayer's heart, the source of all her power, is compromised.

And it can only be compromised if she falls in love.

* Recommended for 18+ 

* Coming soon in Paperback.

Kindle   |  Goodreads




GIVEAWAY
Enter for a chance to win a digital copy of
Equilibrium: Slayer's Heart
Comment on this post for a bonus entry.
Follow Catharina on Twitter for a bonus entry.
Giveaway ends February 18th 11:59PM CDT


EXCERPT



With a gasp, Samantha shot up in her bed sweating like a pig. Her chest was pumping hard, and she felt as if she’d just run the marathon—the way she felt before she became Slayer. She was out of breath and briefly disorientated, fighting to catch her breath.
This was the most intense dream she had of him yet.
Her pupils immediately dilated and adapted to the dark. She shot wild-eyed gazes around her room, but she saw nothing out of the ordinary. She quickly looked down her front to see her pajama shirt was buttoned up and still pretty much in place. Then she tossed aside her fluffy covers, and relief swept through her when she saw she was still wearing her pajama pants, too.
“Thank the heavens,” she said, pulling up legs in an arch and bending forward with face in hands. She let her hands slowly run down her shimmering complexion, slowly calming her heart, but as she did, another sensation began to fill her . . . one that was much less exhilarating.
Worry.
Samantha snapped up her head, and then she looked at her bare palms with a look of dread. She conjured the powers inside her, feeling she needed to exert some effort in order to feel the slow warmth come aglow.
This wasn’t good, either.
Finally, her eyes began to glow. She watched the neon green lights appear in the centers of her open palms, and her lips tightened when she realized it took longer for her weapons to materialize. With an impatient snap of her wrists, her eyes exploded with bright green light. In a flash, neon-green Slayer Shards appeared in the palms of her hands. It troubled her immensely that it took this long.
This was definitely not good. It was friggin dangerous!
She snapped her fingers closed into loose fists, making the deadly shards vanish in a flash. Then she let herself drop back into her pillows with an agitated sigh. A profoundly discontented look appeared on her face as she glared up at the ceiling.
“Dang it, Samantha,” she reprimanded herself. “You need to get a hold of yourself or you’re gonna ruin everything!”
She damn well knew her fantasies weren’t merely innocent thoughts of guilty pleasures she could enjoy, then tuck away. No. Those fantasies and dreams were detrimental to her very existence, and that of millions of innocent people.
She had to guard her heart, her slayer’s heart, with everything inside her because it was both the source of the Slayer’s power, and paradoxically, her only weakness. It was up to her to protect it, herself, and the slayer legacy until another was ready to step in and take over where she would leave off.
She really needed to work harder at shielding herself. She couldn’t afford to lose focus now. Not this late in the game. She really needed to get busy and stop thinking about golden hair, chiseled faces, and the bluest eyes this side of Slayer Hell, or she’d end up like another Slayer of the past . . . and ring in another era of darkness and destruction.
“Well!” she let out with big eyes and a gush of breath. “With those positively wonderful thoughts to lull me to sleep, maybe I can get in a couple of hours more shuteye before Chi starts bangin’ on my door.”
Then she lay there, on her back. Moments later, she found herself still staring up at the ceiling. More time passed, and she was still wide awake, staring at the ceiling, only now the corners of her lips drooped in discontent. Maybe another position would help her find sleep.
A half hour later, after tossing and turning and yet unable to escape those mesmerizing blue eyes, she finally dropped onto her back with a loud sigh of exasperation.
“This ain’t gonna work,” she mumbled in disappointment.
Then she blinked a few moments as an idea hit her. In the next, she shot up to sit on her bed. She stared at the foot end for a few moments before she threw her arms forward. When she pulled back, her hands were no longer empty. Between them a huge tabby was hanging, barely awake and blinking big, dilated eyes as he looked into hers as if in shock.
For a few moments, they stared into each another’s eyes in utter silence. Then the unfortunate feline was whisked under the covers and cuddled close to his mistress as she dropped onto her side, and soon thereafter, all was silent again in Samantha Davis’ bedroom.
She finally found peace in her sleep, hugging a large tabby close as he lay there with eyes round as saucers . . . until the break of dawn.
**~~**


INTERVIEW

Tell us about a favorite character from a book.
I really love Samantha Kensington, the Slayer Maiden. She’s a fun character to write because she’s so spunky and she doesn’t let a lot get to her although she takes her calling very seriously. Writing her fighting/action scenes were challenging but incredibly fun because she cracks jokes (usually because she’s a little nervous). It takes me four to five tries to get the scene written just so in order for me to see it unfold in my mind’s eye. Challenging but fun.

Tell us about your current release.
The first two of the four books in the Equilibrium series are already published. Equilibrium: Slayer’s Heart and Equilibrium II: Rebirth. Slayer’s Heart allows you to get to know Sam Kensington, her close friends, and the trials and tribulations she suffers internally being the Slayer because she’s constantly fighting to protect her heart; the source of all her power. If she falls in love, she’s weakened and it’s the only time when her enemies can actually destroy her.

In EQII: Rebirth, her evolution is showcased as she grows in her very important role as the “new and improved” Slayer Maiden with a new destiny ahead of her, but her heart is still in conflict.

Tell us about your next release.
There are actually several. I plan to release another paranormal romance (PNR) urban fantasy story with a different take on the werewolf/cat legend entitled, Cursed and Coveted. Then there’s my new Young Adult paranormal romance/urban fantasy book entitled, The Girl in the Leather Jacket and it’s about a sixteen-year-old vampire girl named Lola Fox who lives in San Marino, California. She’s a butt-kickin’, young femme fatale of a vampire with a human heart and human DNA, and she comes into her own on her sweet sixteenth. The first book of what will be a four book series will be released 01-31-2012.

Who is your favorite author?
I have two. Kathleen E. Woodiwiss and Stephen King. Woodiwiss because her book, The Flame and the Flower, had introduced me to romance novels, and Stephen King because he can write using very few words to paint the picture he’s trying to convey to his readers. Both are incredible authors in their own genre.

Where do you research for your books?
Online. I used to have books, encyclopedias, and thesauruses stacked beside my desk to look up information, but thank god for the Internet! It makes researching so much easier! Especially while writing Cursed and Coveted, my heroine, Jaydee Jamison, is a Professor of History, specifically of Middle Egypt (ancient Egypt). I wanted to get the back story as close to accuracy as I possibly could for those few Egyptologists who just might be bothered by inaccurate information.

Plotter or Pantser? Why?
Pantser! Definitely Pantser. I only become a Plotter toward the end of a story when I have to tie all the loose ends together to bring the story to a satisfying end. I always want to end my stories with a BANG. The reason why I’m a Pantser is, I have to enjoy my story as much as I want my readers to and if I have to plot a storyline before I can write it, I lose interest and it’s shelved.

Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?
Yes, as the vast majority of authors do, I use a pen name. Catharina Shields is my pen name. Catharina is my middle name and Shields is my late mother’s maiden name.

How do you react to a bad review of your book?
Obviously, it hurts. Deeply. But once you’re over that point, you can appreciate the bad review and see it as a challenge to do better next time. Since I write for free online story sites, I’ve learned a great deal from some negative feedback. Some have been pretty scathing, too. But over the course of three and a half years, I’ve developed a thicker skin and a bad review of a story or book only challenges me to do better next time. Luckily, bad reviews are few and far between.

Are the names of the characters in your novels important?  How and why?
Choosing first, last, and sometimes even middle names for my characters make them real to me. And if they’re real to me I can feel comfortable and confident enough they’ll feel real to the reader, too.

Tell us about your favorite restaurant.
Mexican restaurant Acapulco! Hands down. They serve fried ice cream – my favorite dessert. When I lived out of the country many moons ago, I read in one romance novel how the characters had fried ice cream in some Tex-Mex restaurant. I was always curious how ice cream could be fried, and when we first had dinner at Acapulco and I saw they served fried ice cream, I had to order it. It was love at first bite, and it’s become my favorite dessert of all time.

If I came to visit early in the morning would you impress me as being more like a chirpy bird or a grumpy bear?
Hah! You’d have to come really early in the morning since I write till the wee hours of the night—which is early in the morning. But if you came by, say, around five or six in the morning, you’d pretty much find a chirpy bird. If you came by, say, around eleven a.m., think grumpy growling bear! That’s when I need to have my two hour nap.



ABOUT THE AUTHOR

I was born May 1962 in theYear of the Tiger, Burbank, CA. I've lived both here as well as abroad, specifically The Netherlands. I am bilingual in the sense that I read, write, and speak both English and Dutch.


I adore exotic goldfish (I have Lionchus, Demekins, Black Moors, and Orandas and I've recently adopted a huge, golden Oscar fish named, Scarr}. Along with writing, keeping exotic goldfish is my passion.


I don't have any formal education in the sense that I've never finished high school or went to college. I do, however, have passion, and I am creative. I design all my own book covers, and I actually enjoy doing it.


I LOVE storytelling, watching movies, reading a good book, and writing, and I hope you'll see that in all of my stories.

Equilibrium: Slayer's Heart, is the first in the four-book Equilibrium series. I guess I loved Samantha so much, I couldn't stop writing about her. Just an FYI, all my books will be available in both e-book and paperback editions. Slayer's Heart's paperback is on its way, so please keep your eyes peeled!

Links:

Website  |  Blog  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads  |  youtube  |  Amazon  |  Triberr






THANKS FOR LOOKING!

3 comments:

sparklejewelsp59@yahoo.com said...

great give way love 2 win so i can read this book

The Zoo said...

Recommended for 18+, I'm in.
swak50 at hotmail dot com

Laurie said...

The giveaway winner is Barbara Butler.