Saturday, December 17, 2011

Summerland by DB Moon - Excerpt, Contest, Interview: Featured Author

Set against the backdrop of glittering Hollywood, the story of Summerland takes you behind the tabloid headlines, to show you that celebrities are human too.
After two years of mourning, Rhiann Taylor, a former paparazzi magnet, has found an appreciation for anonymity during her self-imposed exile. However, she finds it difficult to stay under the radar when launching a high profile, fashion design business. Especially when you add a smitten rock star, a self absorbed international playboy, an assistant who reads minds better than a psychic and a dead boyfriend who won’t leave her alone.

The tabloid frenzy comes to a fevered pitch. Family secrets come out of the closet and friendships tested beyond everyone’s comfort zone. Rhiann will need to find the brazenness she once possessed, embrace the anger she has suppressed, and meet a vulnerability she has never known, to face the scariest prospect of all, falling in love again.



INTERVIEW

Tell us about your current release.

My debut novel, Summerland, released through Noble Romance and has been described as a sweet, emotionally rich romance. It tells the story of a woman who is forced to pick up the pieces of her life after a tragic accident.  Surrounded by her dysfunctional support group, Rhiann reluctantly navigates the treacherous waters of dating, attraction and falling in love.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I have been “studying” Camelot lore since I was in my teens, and would love to travel to England, stand on the cliffs of Tintagel, visit the Glastonbury Tor. I get chills seeing pictures; I can’t imagine reaction when I actually get there.

Does your significant other read your stuff?

Everything from grocery lists to sample blurbs to full manuscripts. He is my biggest cheerleader and my biggest defender! LoL

It really works both ways though. He is also a writer and board game designer, so I have read everything he has written and played every prototype he has created.

How do you describe your writing style?

 Oh gosh! My writing style is fun, playful and dialogue driven. The characters who come through are all articulate and opinionated, they talk A LOT! But that is what I am drawn to in literature, movies or TV- witty dialogue.

Plotter or Pantser? Why?

Oh god! Pantser! Totally! I don’t have the patience to plot, plan and research. I write what I know. If I hit a wall with accuracy, I look it up and go on with the story. More power to the plotter, if it works for them, but me? I let the story unfold as I write it. In my romantic murder mystery, Accidental Intent (Rebel Ink Press Spring 2012) I didn’t know who the bad guys were until the climax of the story.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

Yes!!!! music is a must have for me! Every manuscript has its own playlist, but i have a few standards. Amy Winehouse, Metallica, and Otis Redding make it onto every playlist. I have recently discovered the beauty of French pop music- will be incorporating it into my next play list. We’ll see how well it blends with my standards.

What are your favorite TV shows?

Grey’s Anatomy, SATC, SNL, pretty much anything with snappy dialogue. And my true addiction- Project Runway.

I can be found lurking all over the web
On my Facebook page: Desi (D.B.) Moon Author
On Twitter: DBMoonbook
and on Goodreads


GIVEAWAY CONTEST


Read the Summerland excerpt posted on D.B.'s blog and answer the following question to be entered into the drawing for a free e-copy of Summerland:

What did Rhiann ask Keeley to wear with her dress?

Email the author directly at db.moon@ymail.com to be entered into the drawing. Desi will draw (No wait, her 4 y/o will draw) the winner 8 p.m. tomorrow night. The winner will be emailed directly, and Desi will announce the winner on her Monday post! Happy Reading!




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

I reside in beautiful Boulder, Colorado with my writer/game designer husband, two incredibly energetic children who keep me on my toes, three very entitled cats and one hopelessly neurotic, but none the less lovable Beagler.

When not cajoling or arguing with the voices in my head (ie. my characters) I work as a dog trainer, am a vet tech student, am an all around coffee snob and Project Runway junkie. I also love to bake decadent desserts and have recently developed a strong infatuation with kickboxing.

THANKS FOR LOOKING!!

No comments: