Saturday, December 10, 2011

She Can Run by Melinda Leigh - Interview: Tribute Books Virtual Tour

Price: $13.95
ISBN: 9781612181516
Pages: 326
Release: November 28, 2011

was a young widow with two small children when she met Congressman Richard Baker. Handsome and wealthy, with a sparkling public image, Richard seemed like the perfect man to provide the security that Beth and her kids were craving. But when she uncovers a dangerous secret about her new husband, Beth realizes he will go to any lengths—even murder—to keep it. After barely escaping with her life, she and her children flee. They eventually make their way to a secluded estate in the Pennsylvania countryside, where Beth dares to hope she has found a safe place at last…

Forced into retirement by an unexpected injury, Philadelphia homicide detective Jack O’Malley is mourning the loss of his career when his uncle abruptly dies, leaving Jack to dispose of his crumbling country house. Unbeknownst to him, his uncle engaged a caretaker just before his death, a mysterious woman with two children and a beautiful face that haunts his dreams. Determined to know her, Jack begins an investigation into Beth’s past. When he uncovers the shocking truth, and a local woman is viciously murdered, Jack puts his own life on the line to keep Beth and her children safe.

She Can Run is a sexy, satisfying debut from award-winning author Melinda Leigh, packed with enough suspense and romance to get even the tamest heart racing!

 buy links:

Amazon  |    Kindle  |   Barnes&Noble  

Publisher's Weekly Review:“In her debut romantic suspense, Leigh carefully weaves the subplot of a serial killer with the main plot of an abused wife on the run and successfully ties the threads in a thrilling conclusion… Leigh’s tight, consistent plotting marks her as an author to watch.”


I want to thank Laurie for hosting a stop on my blog tour to celebrate the release of my debut novel, SHE CAN RUN.  It’s thrilling to share exciting this experience with other book lovers.

I'm thrilled to have you as a guest today and excited to learn more about your new book.  :) What was the first thing you did as far as promoting your book?
I started promoting myself long before I sold this book.  An internet presence is very important these days, and it was something I could do at minimal cost.  I designed a website. I blog regularly, both as a guest and on Attacking the Page, a blog on martial arts and writing that I run with a few author friends.  Regular use of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter is a must.  As the book release approached, I had to step up all of these activities.  Before SHE CAN RUN was sold, I had no idea just how much time an author spends promoting her work.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

Normally, I write during the day while the kids are at school or early on weekend mornings when they’re asleep. I prefer silence and solitude when I write.  If I’m in the middle of a book, I need to work on it 7 days a week. Thankfully, my family is extremely supportive. But it’s a juggling act. I don’t want to miss the few remaining years of my kids’ childhoods. So, in the summer, when the kids are off, I limit myself to just a couple hours each morning.
What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

My family is extremely supportive. They pitch in around the house and brag to everyone who will listen about my book. My kids particularly like to tell their teachers. My mom is buying everyone she knows a copy for Christmas. She also printed out my initial reviews to show everyone at work.  I guess even at the age of forty <cough> I’m still her kid.
Does your significant other read your stuff?

My husband reads every book. He’s my first beta reader.  He’s not a romance reader, so he’s a great judge of the suspense level. To keep him interested, the pacing has to be fast.

Who are your books published with?

SHE CAN RUN is published by Montlake Romance, an imprint of Amazon Publishing.  In fact, it’s one of the debut titles for their new line.  I’m honored and thrilled to be a part of their new venture.

What book are you reading now?
The last book I finished was Death Masks by Jim Butcher. It’s number 5 in the Dresden Files series. I’m not reading anything right now.  There comes a point in every manuscript when I can’t have anyone else’s voice in my head.  My current story takes over.
Say your publisher has offered to fly you anywhere in the world to do research on an upcoming book, where would you most likely want to go?

Stonehenge.  I have a project in mind that involves some Celtic/Druid history.  While I was there, I’d have to take a side trip and check out Loch Ness. Myths and monsters have always been an interest, and I harbor a deep affection for Creature Features. 

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Please connect with me!  Readers can find me on my website,, and on Facebook & Twitter.  Lately, I’ve done a lot of talking about me.  Now I’d like to hear from my readers.

Thanks so much for joining me today!                                        

Thanks so much, Melinda!


More than a decade ago, Melinda Leigh left a career in banking to raise her children and never looked back. She started writing when her youngest child entered first grade as a way to preserve her sanity. Her paranormal romance and romantic suspense fiction has won writing awards across the country, including The Gateway to the Best Contest, The Marlene Award, Where the Magic Begins, Put Your Heart in a Book, and The Golden Gateway 1st Round Grand Prize.

Melinda is also an avid martial artist. She holds a 2nd degree belt in Kenpo Karate, studies Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and teaches women’s self-defense. She lives in a messy house in the suburbs with her husband, two teenagers, a couple of dogs and one neurotic cat with an inexplicable fear of ceiling fans. With such a pleasant life, she has no explanation for the sometimes dark and disturbing nature of her imagination.
 Website  |   Facebook  |  Twitter 

Full TOUR Lineup

December 5
Books Read 'N Makeup Done!

December 6
Bea's Book Nook

December 7
Bibliophilic Book Blog

December 9
I Just Wanna Sit Here and Read!

December 10
Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews

December 12
Chick Lit = The New Black

December 13
Kindle Fever

December 14
Words of Wisdom from The Scarf Princess

December 15

December 16
You Gotta Read Reviews Guest Blog

December 17
Live to Read

December 19
From the TBR Pile

December 20
The Book Connection

December 21

December 27
Sugarbeat's Books

Tribute Books Blog Tours
Put our promotional experience to work for your book.
Reply to this email to schedule a blog tour or to be a book reviewer.

Tribute Books Blog Tours Facebook
  She Can Run blog tour site


Cozy in Texas said...

Great post - it's always good to get to know an author.

Melinda Leigh said...

Thanks, Ann. I'm glad you could stop by today and "meet" me.

Tribute Books said...

Laurie - thanks for hosting Melinda for a guest post. We appreciate your support for "She Can Run."

Melinda - I really like how you said how you started to promote even BEFORE your debut novel was for sale. It is SO important for an author to have a viable online through a blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Thank you for "getting" it.

Ann - thanks for taking the time to comment and meet Melinda :)

Tribute Books said...

Oops, meant to say a viable online presence - sorry for the typo!

Melinda Leigh said...

New authors should realize building an online presence takes time and can't really be done at the last minute when the book comes out.

Thanks for hosting me, Laurie!