Thursday, December 22, 2011

Keeping Cooper by Sam Masone - Character Interview & Review: Featured Author

It was the shoes that did it...
I realize that you’re not supposed to base a major life decision on something as inconsequential as footwear, but these weren’t just any old shoes. These were my Jimmy Choo polka dot sling back sandals. As a starving college student I couldn’t afford to pay retail so I surfed eBay and scored a pair for less than half the original price. Even so, they represented a major indulgence for me; I saved my tip money for two solid months to pay for those suckers.


And then Johnnie ruined them and threw them out.

Maybe I should be grateful on some level that Johnnie did what he did, but I haven’t managed to evolve to that point yet. I’ve done a lot of healing and a lot of growing, as my shrink used to say, but I’m still royally pissed at Johnnie about those sandals.


So pissed that sometimes I forget to feel bad about killing him.


I recently read this book and loved it.  My review has been written and submitted to Night Owl Reviews. It should be published within the next few days at Night Owl.  Once it is, I will post a snippet and link here.


Character Interview
I am excited to introduce Casey today. Casey is the main character in the new book Keeping Cooper. So,  let's hear from Casey now.

Tell us about your family.

Well, my dad died when I was young and my mom died when I was fifteen.  After that, it was just me and my Gran until my son Cooper came along. He’s three now and a big comfort to me since I recently lost my Gran, too.  Unfortunately, life’s been a little too crazy for me to even process her death, what with Cooper being kind of kidnapped by my old boyfriend and all.

What was the scariest moment of your life?
See above, or read Keeping Cooper to learn more about it.

If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?
If I were a better person, I’d probably list Leland as someone I should apologize to.  After all,  he’s in jail because of me.  But if you read the book, you'll find out that I'm definitely not that person.

What are you passionate about these days?
Spending time with Cooper, hanging out with my best friend Amy and her son Josh, trying to get life to return to normal after the upheaval Johnnie and Leland precipitated when they cooked up their blackmail scheme.

What songs are most played on your Ipod?
Almost anything by the Stones and Bob Marley, but I like to mix it up when I run in the park on my lunch hour or hit the treadmill while Cooper takes in a baseball game with my boss and good friend, Roy.

What is your favorite meal?
You know, even though I eat it nearly every week when Cooper and I get together for dinner with Amy and Josh, I never get tired of pizza.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
I love to sit out on my deck with a glass of red wine and a good book, although I don’t get much reading done.  I’m too busy watching Cooper and our new dog Mojo romp around the yard, but that’s relaxing, too, especially after everything that happened...

Samantha Masone lives outside of Charlottesville, VA with her husband and son and their ever-expanding menagerie. When she's not tending to her animals or suffering happily through her CrossFit workouts, Samantha searches for ways to indulge her passion for writing. Over the years she has composed newsletters, written magazine articles, created website content, and reported for newspapers. Keeping Cooper is her first novel.


No comments: