Sunday, October 16, 2011

Eye Contact by Rebecca Royce-Interview:Sizzling PR Tour Stop


The Conditioned, Book one

Thirty years ago, after the breakdown of an oil negotiation, the President of the United States decided that all people born with unusual abilities, which he would now refer to as “the condition”, would be locked away from the general public where they couldn't harm others. Parents and loved ones of these people, most of whom were children, were forced to turn them in upon penalty of death. Formed to keep the institutions secure, the Committee for the Protection of a Free Society now rules these institutions with an iron fist.



The granddaughter of one the Committee members, Addison Wade has lived her life wary of the institutions and all they represent. A woman of secrets, she is forced to turn to Safe Dawn, one of the facilities designed to hold conditioned people, when her nephew is kidnapped and, despite her best efforts, cannot be recovered. She knows the last thing anyone in 'Safe Dawn' will want to do is to help a Wade with any problems, but she is desperate and out of options.



Spencer Lewis is famous for being the premier conditioned ‘locator.’ There's no one he can't find and he has a soft spot for missing children. But, Spencer has been through a trauma and locating Jeremy Wade may be dangerous both to himself and to those around him. In addition, he takes one look at ice cold Addison Wade and wants nothing more than to knock her down a peg. Never having turned down an opportunity to help a child, he reluctantly agrees to help recover Jeremy.



In a world where nothing is as it seems and every person they encounter has his own agenda, Addison and Spencer will find that the only people they can trust are each other. But how can anyone fall in love living in a world that wants you dead just for being born?

INTERVIEW

How did you start your writing career?

When I was pregnant with my second son, I suddenly had the need to write down the stories in my mind. My husband encouraged me to do so. Eventually, after I found the right critique group, I sold my first book Her Wolf: The Westervelt Wolves Book 1. After that, I was very lucky because I’ve sold a number of books to really wonderful publishers.

Tell us about a favorite character from a book.

In Eye Contact, which is the first book in the Conditioned series, I wrote a character named Spencer Lewis. Spencer is Conditioned, meaning he has psychic abilities and has to be locked away in what essentially amounts to an internment camp because of them.

He has spent most of his life being shuffled in and out of the camp—called Safe Dawn—to work for others using his abilities while being denied any basic rights himself. When I first wrote Spencer, I thought he was mean, burdened, and terribly unhappy. He has those qualities but underneath them is an Alpha male with a big, hidden heart. I absolutely fell in love with Spencer when I wrote him. To me, he is the perfect hero. Despite every obstacle, he is willing to risk himself for the woman he loves—even sacrificing his own life, if necessary.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I have always wanted to go to St. Lucia. It’s been a dream of mine since I was a child. Also, I want to go to Italy and Greece. I’ve been a lot of places but those are three places I’ve yet to visit and I really want to.

Does travel play in the writing of your books?


In this series, travel plays a huge role. On a basic level, travel is really impossible for the Conditioned. Spencer has never driven a car. If there is a place they can go to escape repression, where is it? How can they get there in today’s society when we need identification to board an airplane or drive over a border?

Tell us about your current release.

Eye Contact is the first in a series called The Conditioned. It’s a story that takes place ‘now’ but in a ‘now’ that is somewhat different than our ‘now.’

Thirty years ago, after the breakdown of an oil negotiation, the President of the United States decided that all people born with unusual abilities, which he would now refer to as “the condition”, would be locked away from the general public where they couldn't harm others. Parents and loved ones of these people, most of whom were children, were forced to turn them in upon penalty of death. Formed to keep the institutions secure, the Committee for the Protection of a Free Society now rules these institutions with an iron fist.

The granddaughter of one the Committee members, Addison Wade has lived her life wary of the institutions and all they represent. A woman of secrets, she is forced to turn to Safe Dawn, one of the facilities designed to hold conditioned people, when her nephew is kidnapped and, despite her best efforts, cannot be recovered. She knows the last thing anyone in 'Safe Dawn' will want to do is to help a Wade with any problems, but she is desperate and out of options.

Spencer Lewis is famous for being the premier conditioned ‘locator.’ There's no one he can't find and he has a soft spot for missing children. But, Spencer has been through a trauma and locating Jeremy Wade may be dangerous both to himself and to those around him. In addition, he takes one look at ice cold Addison Wade and wants nothing more than to knock her down a peg. Never having turned down an opportunity to help a child, he reluctantly agrees to help recover Jeremy.

In a world where nothing is as it seems and every person they encounter has his own agenda, Addison and Spencer will find that the only people they can trust are each other. But how can anyone fall in love living in a world that wants you dead just for being born?

I’ve also written the next book in the series, Embraced, although I don’t have a release date for it yet.

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?


He loves it! He doesn’t read everything I write—after a while he was reading more romance novels than he was anything else but he is a big fan of me doing this and he loves that I do. My parents have really gotten on board as well. They buy all my books (even if some of them make my father blush)

Does your significant other read your stuff?

Romance is really not his ‘thing.’ (He prefers to read very thick, dense biographies of times long ago, which actually, I love too.) But he will read the occasional book and in the beginning, he read all of them!

Do you have critique partners or beta readers?


I have both and I thank god for them. Thank you. Thank you! I think that is key for good writing. Someone else needs to see what you are doing and give you honest opinions.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

As a teenager, I would hide in my room to read my favorite romance novels when I was supposed to be doing my homework. I hope, these days, that my parents think it was worth it.

I am the mother of three adorable boys and I am fortunate to be married to my best friend. We live in northern New Jersey and try not to freeze too badly during the winter months.

I am in love with science fiction, fantasy, and the paranormal and try to use all of these elements in my writing. I've been told I'm a little bloodthirsty so I hope that when you read my work you'll enjoy the action packed ride that always ends in romance. I love to write series because I love to see characters develop over time and it always makes me happy to see my favorite characters make guest appearances in other books.

In my world anything is possible, anything can happen, and you should suspect that it will.

I'd love to hear from you!

Author Links

Website | Facebook | Facebook Fan Page



NEXT STOPS ON TOUR

19 – Guest Blog @ Me and Reading
21 – Interview @ Pimpin’ Reads
24 – Guest Blog @ Lila Munro
26 – Character Interview @ Lindsay’s Scribbling’s
28 – Interview @ Reading with Style

November
2 – Interview @ From the TBR Pile
4 – Guest Blog @ Book Briefs
7 – Character Interview @ Jenaissance
9 – Interview @ Everyday is an Adventure
14 – Guest Blog @ I Just Wanna Sit Here and Read






Disclaimer: This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. In some cases, I receive free books in return for a review. My reviews always express my own personal opinion. I am not obligated to write a glowing or even favorable review. I have not received any monetary compensation in return for my honest review. Promotional banners and information was provided through Sizzling PR Book Tours. I am an authorized Tour Host.

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

1 comment:

Sizzling PR said...

Thank you for hosting Rebecca Royce today. Loved the interview.