Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chosen by Denise Grover Swank-Review & Interview: Bewitching Tour Stop

Chosen
By Denise Grover Swank

Everything Emma Thompson owns fits in a suitcase she moves from one roach infested motel to another. She and Jake, her five year old son who can see the future, are running from the men intent on taking him. Emma will do anything to protect him even when it means accepting the help of a stranger named Will. Jake insists she needs Will, but Emma’s never needed help before. And even though she’s learned to trust her son, it doesn’t mean she trusts Will.

Mercenary Will Davenport lives in the moment. Hauling Emma to South Dakota should have been an easy job, but his employer neglected to tell him about Emma’s freaky son and the gunmen hot on her trail. Instinct tells him this job is trouble, but nothing can prepare him for Jake’s proclamation that Will is The Chosen One, who must protect Emma from the men hunting her power. A power she doesn't know she has.

Will protects Emma and Jake on a cross-country chase from the men pursuing them, while struggling with memories from his past, his apprehension of Jake, and his growing attraction to Emma. Will’s overwhelming urge to protect Emma surprises him, especially since it has nothing to do with his paycheck and possibly everything to do with the tattoo Jake branded on his arm. Rich and powerful men are desperate to capture Emma, and Will must discover why before it's too late.

Chosen was winner of The Beacon-- 2010 Unpublished Division, Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal category.




GIVEAWAY

Enter for a chance to win a digital copy of Chosen. For an extra entry also leave a comment on this post. This giveaway ends October 29th 11:59PM CST.




TRAILER




MY REVIEW

4.5 STARS

Almost non-stop action from beginning to end, Emma Thompson and her gifted five-year-old son, Jake, are on the run (again) from men with darkly sinister motives.  Broke and friendless, Emma is flabbergasted when a stranger with a cocky joviality offers to help.  Emma distrusts his motives, but Jake’s visions tell him that they should accept Will’s assistance, and he begs his mother to let Will protect them.

This is a well-written paranormal thriller that I read quickly. It grabbed my attention from the first and never let loose.  I thought the struggle that Will battled with his inner demons was believable and heart-rending.  I truly wanted him to find the peace and acceptance that he hesitantly sought, yet felt was so elusive and beyond the reach of his tainted soul.  The dynamics between Emma, Will, and Jake were portrayed realistically and with an underlying sense of inevitability that put me squarely behind them. The story had some unexpected twists that I enjoyed, but for me the best part was the way in which the author artfully paved the way to the satisfying conclusion while leaving open some questions that will surely carryover to the next book in this planned new series.  Here, is imagined an exciting concept, told in a beautifully, haunting manner that had me chuckling one minute and gasping in horror a few paragraphs later.  Thrilling romantic suspense; pick this one up for top-notch reading entertainment.

Thanks to the author and Bewitching Book Tours for giving me a digital copy of this book for review purposes.  This review reflects my own personal opinion.  I was under no obligation to write a glowing or even favorable review.

Reviewed by Laurie-J

Read 10/18/11

INTERVIEW


Tell us about your family.

I’m a single mother to six kids. My oldest son Trace is twenty-four and has moved out of the house. He’s engaged to a wonderful woman who has a five-year-old son.  My other five children live at home. My son Ross is twenty-one and is in school. My fourteen year-old daughter Julia is into everything musical theater. She’s very active in her school’s plays. My youngest three children are internationally adopted. My eight-year-old daughter Jenna loves to dance and just made a competition dance team this year. Ryan is five and loves kindergarten. Emma, my youngest, keeps me on my toes when she’s not at preschool. My kids keep me busy but I love my crazy life.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

With my house as crazy as it is, music and headphones are a necessity. I have to block out all the background noise. The music I listen to depends on what I’m writing. When writing action and fast paced scenes I listen to CDs like Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, and Nickelback. When writing something slower I’ll listen to Lifehouse or Sky Sailing.

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

The CD most used and abused on my iTunes right now is Red’s Instinct and Innocence. It has a lot of songs that really fit the third book in the Chosen series, which I’m currently writing the first draft. 

What book are you reading now?

I just finished Sarah Addison Allen’s The Peach Keeper. I love her books. They’re Southern, sweet and always about friendship, with romance thrown in.

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

Write. Don’t make excuses. If you want to do it, do it. Just realize that you’ll have to sacrifice something else to do it though. I hardly watch TV anymore, but it’s worth it to me. Also, seek out critique. Your writing isn’t perfect when you start out, not even close. You need outside eyes to tell you what’s working and what’s not. 

Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

TOTALLY  a night person. In the summer I stay up until three to four in the morning working. When the kids are in school I try to go to bed by two. Try is the key word.

Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extravert? Why?

Totally an extrovert. I’m outgoing and usually like to talk to people. I love social media and will jump into conversations on Twitter and Facebook.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Denise Grover Swank began writing her first novel in the fourth grade, stopping at page seventy on her wide ruled spiral notebook. She continued writing in high school and attempted several novels in her twenties before life got in the way. In the fall of 2009, she participated in National Novel Writing Month, which led her to completing her first novel, a book which shall be eternally chained to a pillar in her external hard drive. Denise released her first published book in July, 2011, a southern mystery titled Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes. Denise lives in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. She has six children, two dogs, and an overactive imagination.

You can find out more about Denise and her other books at www.denisegroverswank.com and you can connect with her on Twitter.








Authors - Book Tours can give your book additional exposure and help you reach new readers.  There are several different plans from which to choose.  There are options available that are ideal for modest budgets.  To find out more, click the image.

Bloggers -  Find out how you can become a Tour Host. To find out more details, click the image.




Disclaimer: This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.   In some cases, I receive free books in return for a review. My reviews always express my own personal opinion. I am not obligated to write a glowing or even favorable review.  I have not received any monetary compensation in return for my honest review. Promotional banners and information was provided through Bewitching Book Tours. I am an authorized Tour Host. 

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

4 comments:

Shah Wharton said...

Yey - I entered. Sounds like a great read.http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween-book-review-voice-of-blood-by.html

;D Shah. X

Laurie said...

Hi Shah!! So nice of you to drop by today.
Did you see the trailer? IMO, it's one of the best I've seen. :)

BlackWolf said...

wow, nice covert.. i liked the interview
count me in :p

Laurie said...

Giveaway winner is Shah Wharton!! Congrats!!