Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Born of Blood by Sherry Ficklin - Blurb, Trailer: Blog Tour

A young mother has vanished without a trace and Sophie D'Angelo has been hired to solve the cold case that left police stumped. Tensions are high between the local cops and the newly 'out of the coffin' vampire community, landing Sophie smack in the middle of the toughest mystery she's ever faced and in the middle of a possible civil war. Her only allies are her loud, overbearing Italian family and her ex-fiancee turned-vampire, Caleb, who shares her house, her business, and generally gets on her nerves. If he wasn't already dead, she'd probably kill him.

As if that wasn't enough, Sophie has become the fixation of a twisted killer who is leaving a trail of bodies straight to her door.

Can Sophie uncover the truth behind the strange disappearance and unmask her stalker before she, or someone she loves, becomes his next victim?



Tell us about a favorite character from a book.

I think Sophie is my favorite character I’ve ever written, so far. She’s got so many layers. She’s smart and sassy, but also has a really big heart that makes her vulnerable. I like her because I’m never sure what to expect. I’ll put her in a tough situation and her responses always manage to surprise me. She’s the most real, flawed, complex character I’ve ever written.

Where do you research for your books?

I love to travel in the guise of ‘research’. I’ve been all over the country sort of scouting locations. Sometimes it’s the location that will inspire the story even more than the characters or the plot. I spent a week in Charleston just feeling around and getting to know the place. I didn’t start writing Born of Blood until about a year later, but I knew I was going to write it into a book at some point. It was just too beautiful not to. I’d like to go to Greece and the UK sometime soon, just to see what inspires me.

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

It depends on what I’m writing at the time. It can be anything from jazz to hard core techno to acustic indie. I’m very weird in that way. Right now it’s Kerli and Orgy on a loop. To relax or in the car, it’s Matt & Kim and Matt Nathanson.

Beatles or Monkees? Why?

Monkees for sure. I have great respect for anyone who can laugh at themselves and not take themselves too seriously. I remember watching re-runs of the TV show when I was really little. They were always having so much fun.

What is the next big thing?

In books? Who knows. It’s all trends and fads. For me personally, it’s always about the next book, the next adventure. I’m working on a new YA novel right now that’s a steampunk-ish time travel book. Sort of Lord of the Flies meets The Time Machine. It’s proving to be fun, but a challenge too, which is pretty cool. I’m also finishing up the next Palmetto Moon book, which I am totally in love with.

Where are your fans most likely to find you hanging out?

Well, NaNoWriMo is coming up so I’ll be spending a lot of time with my group typing away at my local coffee houses. But if there is something nerdy going on (midnight showings of the Avengers, comic book store openings, costume parties) you can bet I’ll be there. They can also find me online at my blog,, my website,, and on Facebook and Twitter (where I spend way too much time).

Do you have a favorite quote or saying?

“Always be yourself. Unless you suck.” ~Joss Wheadon

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Just thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have the greatest, coolest readers in the world and I’m so grateful for each and every one of you. A book is only as good as the people who love it, so thanks for giving my books wings.


Sherry is a full time writer from Colorado where she lives with her husband, four kids, two dogs, and a fluctuating number of chickens and house guests. A former military brat, she loves to travel and meet new people. She can often be found browsing her local bookstore with a large white hot chocolate in one hand and a towering stack of books in the other. That is, unless she's on deadline at which time she, like the Loch Ness monster, is often only seen in blurry photographs.

Her teen fantasy series, The Gods of Fate Trilogy, is forthcoming from Dragonfly Publishing. Book 1, Foresight, and book 2, Second Sight, are now available everywhere books are sold. Her first adult horror novel, Palmetto Moon, is forthcoming from Tell-Tale Publishing.


10/9  Release Day & Halloween Party!!! 
I'll also be doing a special guest post at the Tell-Tale blog!

10/10 Pedantic Phooka  



1 comment:

shah wharton said...

Wow- I can't believe the woman behind that picture has four kids and has written all these books. She looks about 15 yrs old? :)

Book sounds cool - love vampires and criminal detection novels too - this is both.

Good luck with the book tour!

Shah .X