Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blood and Light/Smoke and Mirrors by Rue Volley: Bewitching Tour Stop



About Rue Volley:

Rue Volley lives in Indianapolis, Indiana with her two pugs "Momo" & "Oshi" and her fantastic and supportive husband, Von. She attended Catholic Schools her entire life and ended up playing in an alternative rock band at the age of 18. She played music, specifically guitar, violin and handled vocals for the band, up until 2004, then she met her now husband, Von, and moved from Ohio to Indiana and started to work in retail management.

She spent the next 6 years running clothing stores and then she started to write, producing the 6 book vampire series in a little under 11 months.

She released the first book, "Blood & Light", on authorhouse in 2010, which is a self publishing company, and within 6 months sold over 2000 copies of the first installment, she was then noticed and picked up by Vamptasy Publishing in the UK and now the entire series will be available through Vamptasy. Rue splits her time between writing and photography now and plans on continuing the series, possibly for 2 more installments. She is also working on a new series, about a teenage witch, and plans to release this series sometime in 2012 through Vamptasy too. Rue is completely dedicated to her art and to her fans...and believes that if you think you can do something, it is as good as done.

WEBSITE  |  GOODREADS  |  TWITTER  |  FACEBOOK


INTERVIEW




Tell us about your current release.
I actually have two books out now, book one & book two in a 6 part series.  Book one “Blood & Light” is the introduction to a cast of very sarcastic and passionate vampires in the Blood & Light Series. “Rue” is actually the author of these books and each one is a year in her life, taking you from one birthday to the next, which you will come to find out is not her favorite thing to celebrate…you see, each birthday marks a crazy shift in her life, the first one being the sudden realization that she is in fact a vampire. In this series the vampires do not receive their powers until they turn 21 and Rue has actually never been told that she comes from a race of vampires from an ancient city called “Valon” of which all vampires derive from. In the beginning of book one Rue is already dealing with trouble at home, as her Mother has been committed to an insane asylum and her father has pretty much left too, as he spends all of his time with Rue’s Mother hoping for her recovery. This leaves Rue with her brother “Kai” who is your typical annoying brother but nowhere near mature enough to serve as a surrogate parent in the absence of their parents. Kai convinces the usually anti-social Rue to attend a party and she reluctantly agrees, it is at this party that her first paranormal experience happens, giving away the first clues that things are not what they seem and never have been. Book one takes you on a wild ride… simply setting you up for the epic story that this series is, spanning 6 books in all. Book one and two are available through Vamptasy Publishing, you can find them on smashwords.com , amazon.com (the Kindle Store) and vamptasypublishing.co.uk

 
What is the hardest part of writing your books?
The hardest part for me, which I have since gotten past…is the fact that my books are so honest and so me. I am a private person by nature and normally only my closest and most trusted friends are invited into my head and heart, but I found as I wrote, that the only true way for me to make this series all it could be was to be completely honest on how I feel about everything, be it love, sex, relationships, family, old demons I have harbored and fears that I felt necessary to address as I wrote these 6 books. I also grieved for the loss of my biological father in the first book (as I lost him to a sudden heart attack as I wrote book one) and that in itself was instrumental in helping me get past it. I never dreamed that I would write a book, let alone a whole series of books but after a while the story just wrote itself as I shared everything that happened in my past, and things that were happening as I wrote. I only know one way to write…and that is what I know. Am I a perfect writer? By all mean, no…am I perfectly happy with that?...absolutely, because I am just me and these books are exactly as I felt and I would never change a single thing about them…not one misplaced comma, or one bad usage of the word “your”, because life is not perfect, no one life is, or any one person…so to me I find it to be the purest thing I could have ever done in my life. And I am grateful for every single letter that spilled out of me.

 
What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?
That I could write. lol

Tell us about your family.
My family. That is a loaded question. Lol Well, lets see. My Biological Father…William, who I included in my book series left us when I was 7. I have very few memories of him other that the fact that he was extremely tall (6’8) I missed him my whole life and often dreamed of what it would have been like to have him in my life, although I was blessed with a fantastic step father (John) who stepped into a ready made family consisting of myself and my younger sister Kimberly. In 1981 my youngest sister “Laurie” was born and she is just so amazing, so is Kimberly. They are both extremely funny and smart and I do not get nearly enough time to spend with them now. My Mother Melanie is beyond words to me, she worked 3 jobs when Kim and I were little to support us and I still remember spending time at the bowling alley as she waited tables for $1.50 an hour. Upside? I am a badass bowler, lol. Anyway, my Mother is amazing, I got everything good about myself from her and have all the respect in the world for her and her dedication to us. I also have another sister by the name of Samantha and brother named Joshua, who I did not meet or know about until I attended my Dad’s funeral. Yep that was awkward. My family has dark humor, which you will see plenty of in the series as I mentioned many things from my past and wove it into the story. My family loves the “family dinner” bonding time and I cannot remember ever eating in front of the T.V. We always sat at the table and talked about everything and laughed. I so appreciate that now and I always have the “family” of vampires in my books dining together to reflect this fond memory. I am Irish and Blackfoot Indian and proud to be both as is my family. Other than that, my extended family consists of my wonderful and supportive husband Von, my two pug sons, Momo & Oshi and my closest friends of whom I would do anything for. Many of them are models for my book series and my closest friend Holly Buckler is my editor.  She is as blunt and to the point as I am and I could not have anyone better to be anal about my writing. Hahahaha
Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?
I do love to listen to music and that to me is oh so important when I write. During book one I listened to “Placebo”, “Imogene Heap” and “Silversun Pickups”. During book two I listened to “Radiohead”  and “Sigur Ros”. During the writing of the rest of the books I revisited these bands and expanded it to “Byork”, “Elbow”, “Meatbeat manifesto”, “Bonobo”, “Skrillex” , “Nick Cave & the bad seeds”, “Leonard Cohen”, “Peter Gabriel”, “Grade”, “Curve” and many, many more. I have a huge musical palate. To me music is just another painting as is writing.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a vetenarian or a rock star. Never really thought of anything else, when the vet
thingy did not happen, I played in a band for 12 years, so the rock star thing happened, I guess. lol

What are your favorite TV shows?
I love Supernatural, Justified, Fringe, TopGear BBC, True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Ghost Hunters,
Ghost Adventures and pretty much anything on the Science and History channels.
Do you have a favorite quote or saying?
Only let the one you love bite.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you, I can honestly say that I have the most gracious fans and I love you all wholeheartedly for taking this journey with me.
http://www.vamptasypublishing.co.uk/#/rue-volley/4552959268 ...vamptasy publishing website (My publisher)


Blood and Light
By Rue Volley

Enter into the world of 16 year old Rue Volley...who up until one fateful night at a party, thought she was "normal" or as "normal" as she could be. But "normal" does not include being a vampire...a truth about herself that she will soon discover.

Rue Volley lives in the quiet little town of Calvary, Minnesota...nestled in the thick woods lining the great lakes. Rue, along with her brother Kai have lived an otherwise calm life up until their Mother was commited into Rolling River Asylum, after she mysteriously stopped speaking to anyone. Rue is convinced by her brother to attend a party on her birthday and after she experiences something that she cannot explain, she and everyone in her world is thrown into madness. Join Rue on this epic journey, 6 books in all, as she struggles with grief, love, humor, old crushes, new found infatuations, hot boys AND vampires, lots and lots of them.

 This first book in the series starts you on a journey that you will find hard to ignore and once you start reading you will be hooked...or perhaps bitten.


Oct 5 Excerpts



Authors - Book Tours can give your book additional exposure and help you reach new readers.  There are several different plans from which to choose.  There are options available that are ideal for modest budgets.  To find out more, click the image.

Bloggers -  Find out how you can become a Tour Host. To find out more details, click the image.




Disclaimer: This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.   In some cases, I receive free books in return for a review. My reviews always express my own personal opinion. I am not obligated to write a glowing or even favorable review.  I have not received any monetary compensation in return for my honest review. Promotional banners and information was provided through Bewitching Book Tours. I am an authorized Tour Host. 

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

1 comment:

Shah Wharton said...

Wow - fascinating - wish I could write like that. Well done!! Great post. X