Thursday, August 25, 2011

Paradise 21 by Aubrie Dionne - Interview & Review:Bewitching Tour Stop






Title: Paradise 21
Author: Aubrie Dionne
Genre: Sci-Fi Romance
Length: Novel
Release Date: August 2011
ePub ISBN: 978-1-937044-02-2
Mobi ISBN: Coming soon!
Print ISBN: 978-1-937044-03-9

Book Blurb

Aries has lived her entire life aboard mankind’s last hope, the New Dawn, a spaceship traveling toward a planet where humanity can begin anew—a planet that won’t be reached in Aries’ lifetime. As one of the last genetically desirable women in the universe, she must marry her designated genetic match and produce the next generation for this centuries-long voyage.

But Aries has other plans.

When her desperate escape from the New Dawn strands her on a desert planet, Aries discovers the rumors about pirates—humans who escaped Earth before its demise—are true. Handsome, genetically imperfect Striker possesses the freedom Aries envies, and the two connect on a level she never thought possible. But pursued by her match from above and hunted by the planet’s native inhabitants, Aries quickly learns her freedom will come at a hefty price.

The life of the man she loves.


My Review
5 Star
This book is unquestionably, without a doubt, my favorite Science Fiction book this year.  It began well, and by the end, I was just totally blown away.  The characters captured my imagination and tugged my heartstrings.  Each of them is distinctive and fully-fleshed, with believable history and motivations.

Aries is a beautiful woman who dares to flaunt the rules and restrictions imposed upon all the pioneers aboard the colony ship.  Regardless of consequences, she is determined to escape the confines of the huge vessel.  She has no desire to be mated to the man that was computer selected for her, nor does she want a lifetime of a computer-assigned career in a field that holds no interest. 

It was easy for me to relate to Aries.  It was easy to feel compassion for her predicament.  At the same time, though, I could understand the necessity for her to fall in line, indeed, truly, the possible survival of everyone aboard the colony ship could be in jeopardy if the group were to lose her unique and carefully selected DNA.

Aries is an intelligent, strong woman, and a fierce, cunning fighter.  She meets creatures that are unusual and exceedingly dangerous; against all odds she perseveres.  Then she encounters another human on the blistering desert planet.  Striker is a space pirate who has been marooned for five years – tricked by the woman he had loved and trusted. 

Striker and Aries share a dogged determination to survive even with the odds stacked severely against them.  I thrilled to share vicariously their many adventures.  They encountered and overcame adversity; determined to follow their own paths and, in the process, give the desperate, wretched, orphaned survivors of a barely functional space station new hope;  a chance for a future ripe with possibility.  It is almost unheard of for me to re-read a book, but honestly, with this one I may have to make a rare exception.

Reviewed by Laurie-J 


Interview

How did you start your writing career?

I’m actually a flutist. I have a degree in music performance, and I teach flute lessons for a living. I make up stories to go with the music, and my students liked my stories so much, they suggested writing them down and getting them published!
So here I am today!

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

Lothlorien- the forest home of the elves in Lord of the Rings. It’s so beautiful, and the elves are so mysterious. I’d love to spend time with them and learn more about their culture. I bet I could learn a lot.
And
Mos Eisley- the space port on Tatooine in Star Wars. Although I’d need a body guard to travel here! I want to dance to the Cantina theme played by the alien bug guys and order a drink at the bar!

Does travel play in the writing of your books?

Oh yes, for science fiction setting is a big part of the story. The people on the New Dawn are traveling to a paradise planet that won’t be reached in their lifetime. All they do is travel their entire lives. Aries is unhappy with this arrangement and her computer assigned lifemate, so she escapes, traveling to a desert planet, where she meets a space pirate, a man descended from the people they left behind on Earth three hundred years ago.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?


I write a few hours a day, some in the morning, early afternoon before work, and them some late at night. I like to space it out in case I get stumped and have to come back to it. I teach flute from 3-8, so I write around my teaching schedule.

Do you have critique partners or beta readers?


Oh yes! 2 beta readers and 6 critique partners. One of my critique partners, Cherie Reich, has her own book out right now. Called Once Upon a December Nightmare, it’s a scary tale with civil war history woven in. Very cool! I’m so proud of her.

Tell us about your family.


My family is very important to me. Everyone lives within twenty minutes of each other. I’m one of four siblings, and we get together and celebrate all of our birthdays together. It’s really nice to have such a great support group. We don’t compete with one another because we are all so different and have chosen different paths in our lives. My sister just had a baby last year, and we’re celebrating his one year birthday in August.

What are your favorite TV shows?


I don’t watch much TV right now, but growing up I loved Star Trek: The Next Generation. My favorite character was Data. I always wanted him to find his humanity and live a fulfilled life.

What is your favorite meal?


I love pasta and going out to eat! (A little too much).

What group did you hang out with in high school?


Band geeks!

Do you play any sports?


Does Ballet count?

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?


Keep writing! If one book doesn’t succeed, try again. Paradise 21 is my fourth book, and the one that secured an agent. If I’d given up on book 2 or book 3, then where would I be today?

Also, make sure you are always working on honing your craft. Read about writing, read other people’s books, and make sure you get critique partners that can help you!

Thanks for having me here today, Laurie! J



About the Author

Aubrie is an author and flutist in New England. Her stories have appeared in Mindflights, Niteblade, Silver Blade, A Fly in Amber, and several print anthologies including Skulls and Crossbones by Minddancer Press, Rise of the Necromancers, by Pill Hill Press, Nightbird Singing in the Dead of Night by Nightbird Publishing, Dragontales and Mertales by Wyvern Publications, A Yuletide Wish by Nightwolf Publications, and Aurora Rising by Aurora Wolf Publications.  Her epic fantasy is published with Wyvern Publications, and several of her ebooks are published with Lyrical Press and Gypsy Shadow Publishing. When she’s not writing, she plays in orchestras and teaches flute at Plymouth State University and a community music school.

Important Links:
Aubrie’s Books on Amazon  |  Aubrie’s Books on B&N  |  Twitter: @authoraubrie
Aubrie’s Books from Gypsy Shadow Publishing  |  Aubrie’s Books from SynergEBook
Aubrie’s Books from LyricalPress  |  Aubrie’s Books from Entangled Publishing




Next Tour Stops

August 26 Guest Blog and Review at Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell
http://books-forlife.blogspot.com
 

August 29 Seduction with Horsepower  interview and review



August 30 Review and Guest Blog



August 31 Bite Club Guest Post



Sept 1 Guest Blog


View the Full Schedule



Authors - Book Tours can give your book additional exposure and help you reach new readers.  There are several different plans from which to choose.  There are options available that are ideal for modest budgets.  To find out more, click the image.

Bloggers -  Find out how you can become a Tour Host. To find out more details, click the image.




Disclaimer: This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.   In some cases, I receive free books in return for a review. My reviews always express my own personal opinion. I am not obligated to write a glowing or even favorable review.  I have not received any monetary compensation in return for my honest review. Promotional banners and information was provided through Bewitching Book Tours. I am an authorized Tour Host.


THANKS FOR LOOKING!

3 comments:

The Happy Booker said...

What a great review and interview. I usually don't read sci fi but I may have to make an exception. Paradise 21 sounds absolutely fascinating! I love the main character's name, Aries, that was almost what I named my daughter.

Aubrie said...

Thank you so much for this fantastic review and interview!

Laurie said...

Good morning, Aubrie! Thanks so much for stopping in.

Hi Happy Booker! I think Aries is a cool name, also.