Monday, August 1, 2011

A Mad Passion by Scarlett Scott-Interview: Goddess Fish Tour Stop


Hello!! Today I am very pleased to host Scarlett Scott who is touring her book, A Mad Passion, this week. I have an excerpt from the book and an interview with the author. So, I hope you will scroll on down to find out more. As always, your comments are very much appreciated, and your comment makes you eligible for the drawing for a $10 Gift Card.

Soooo, be sure to follow along on this fun tour to find out more cool stuff and interesting tidbits as the tour progresses! One lucky commenter will be randomly chosen at the end from all comments made during the tour, and will win a $10 Gift Card!





Author bio: Scarlett Scott writes sexy historical and contemporary romances. She lives with her hero and their adorable but occasionally evil puppy.





INTERVIEW

Today, I am very pleased to welcome Scarlett Scott who has given me  this opportunity to let me pick her brain and satisfy my curious nature. How did you start your writing career?
I’ve always loved romance, from the time I first smuggled Sweet Vengeance from my sister’s book stash, to now. So, strange though it may sound, I’ve been writing romance novels since I was 12. I’m not going to lie and tell you what I wrote was any good, but those books are where my writing career began. I kept writing and never stopped. Of course, I’d like to think I’ve made vast improvements to my writing since then!

What do you think makes a good story?
For me, a good story is well-written and researched with amazing characters. I think characters are truly key. They drive the plot, they make you laugh or cry, and they make the story either the kind you’ll never pick up again or the kind you’ll keep and reread every year.

What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?
My husband is very supportive and proud of me and I love him for it. He’s been a constant source of motivation for me. The rest of my family buys my books faithfully—even my mom. Because I write erotic and mainstream romance, I tell her which books are too racy and which are mom friendly. There are a few things my mom never has to read, if you know what I mean.

Does your significant other read your books?
My husband does read my work, which I think is adorable. (I hope he doesn’t read this because I will definitely hear some grumbling for my use of the term ‘adorable’ in relation to him.) He even helps me to plot and brainstorm, wonderful man that he is.

Say your publisher has offered to fly you anywhere in the world to do research on an upcoming book, where would you most likely want to go?
I’d love to travel to France. Once upon a time oh so long ago, I could speak French. Not fluently, but I could’ve made my way without too much trouble. Now, alas, I fear I am quite rusty at the language. But I’d still love to tour Paris. I’ve always loved French settings for romance novels, rare though they may be.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?
One of the most surprising things I learned is exactly how the publishing end of the writing process works. It wasn’t until I was working on my second and third books that I started getting the hang of things. I always imagined the toughest part of pursuing a writing career would be getting published, but that’s only the beginning of the battle. Next, you have to make your way safely across the enormous canyon of anonymity. You start out with no one knowing who you are. Why should they spend their hard earned money on your stories? I was surprised to realize how much work authors have to put in after getting published. It’s a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. Worthwhile, but difficult.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be an author. Predictable, but true. Once my mind is made up, I’m rather determined.

What is your favorite meal?
My favorite meal is hot tortilla chips and fresh homemade salsa with a margarita on the rocks. Maybe it’s not technically considered a meal, but I could happily eat chips and salsa every day for the rest of my life, even though my thighs and waistline would not approve.

Thank you so very much for taking time out today to allow us to discover a little more about you and your writing journey, so far.



ABOUT THE BOOK




Seven years ago, the Marquis of Thornton broke Cleo’s heart. He’s the last man she wants to see at the country house party she’s attending with her sisters. However, fate has a different plan when she finds Thornton standing before her, as devastatingly handsome as ever. Thornton’s resolve is tempted by Cleo’s reappearance in his life. He’ll stop at nothing to have her back in his arms. Now a respected politician, he jeopardizes his career and reputation with each secret moment he spends with her. Together they must battle against ruin and swirling scandal to discover if their mad passion is worth the price.



 EXCERPT

Footsteps sounded in the hall just beyond the closed door. If Cleo had been tempted to end their ruse before, her sudden reaction to Thornton rattled her too much to do so now. She kept mum.

“Perhaps you are mistaken?” Thornton’s sister, Lady Bella ventured, sounding meek.

“Don’t be an idiot, Bella,” the dowager snapped. “I know my own son when I see him. All your novels are making you addlepated. How many times must I implore you to assert yourself at more improving endeavors like needlepoint? Women should not be burdened by knowledge. Our constitutions are too delicate.”

Cleo couldn’t quite stifle a snicker. The situation had all the elements of a comedy. All that yet remained was for the dowager to yank open the door so Cleo and Thornton would come tumbling out.

“You smell of lavender,” he muttered in her ear, an accusation.

So what if she did? It was a lovely, heady scent blended specifically for her. Lavender and rose geranium, to be precise. “Hold your breath,” she retorted, “if you find it so objectionable.”

"I don’t."                                                                                

“Then what is the problem, Thornton?”                      

“I find it delicious.”

BUY LINKS
 



NEXT STOPS
Scarlett will be giving away a $10 Amazon gift card to one randomly drawn commenter, as well as to the host with the most comments (excluding the host's and the author's).



Disclaimer:  Promotional information and materials were provided to me by Scarlett Scott and Goddess Fish Promotions.  Except for possible "thank you" incentives I may qualify for depending upon the success of this stop, no other compensation has been given to me. In this case, "success" is gauged on the quantity of relevant and appropriate comments this post generates. 

28 comments:

Lexi said...

What a great excerpt, got me hooked! Also lucky you, you get to do what you wanted to since you were little and be an author. Very few people get that chance.


eyesofblueice(at)gmail(dot)com

LadyVampire2u said...

I dont think it's often that we get to be what we wish as a child so a really big bravo to you. And Congratulations on this all new release of yours. I love the cover and excerpt.

LadyVampire2u AT gmail DOT com

Scarlett said...

First off, thanks to Laurie for hosting me here today! And thanks, Lexi. I’m glad the excerpt hooked you. I figure I am pretty lucky to get to be doing what I always wanted to do when I was growing up. LadyVampire2U, thank you for your kind words! The cover happens to be a favorite of mine too :)

Jean P said...

What a great excerpt. The cover is very eye catching. Enjoyed reading about your favorite meal, that is one of my favorites too *L*

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Scarlett said...

Thanks Jean! Glad to hear there is a fellow chips and salsa fanatic out there. Whenever I'm in a bad mood, my husband takes me out for Mexican and it never fails to cheer me up. Margarita + salsa = Happy Scarlett.

Laurie said...

Too Funny, Scarlett! I can just picture that. LOL

Scarlett said...

Lol - at least in some cases, I am easy to please...

ruby95660 said...

Great interview!! And I loved the excerpt. This story sounds interesting. I can't wait to read it!

ruby95660@yahoo.com

Scarlett said...

Thanks so much! I hope you'll give it a try. :)

Mara said...

Congrats on the book release & giveaway!
Mara
marajbrandon AT earthlink DOT net

Scarlett said...

Thanks, Mara!

desitheblonde said...

i love the book info and it been re tweeted and face book on my site and then goggle it
desitheblonde@msn.com

Maria said...

Congratulations on the release of A Mad Passion! It sounds really good and I'm adding it to my EC list:)

I think it's really cool that you write both mainstream and erotic and that your mom can read some of your books:)

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Scarlett said...

Thanks, Maria. I'm so happy you are adding it to your list! I love writing erotic and mainstream both...can't pick just one. And that way I won't horrify my mom completely! ;)

Emma said...

Congratulations on the release of A Mad Passion!The excerpt is wonderful. Please enter me in the giveaway. Thanks for the chance!augustlily06(at)aim(dot)com.

Scarlett said...

Thanks so much, Emma! Will do. :)

marybelle said...

I love the fact that you always wanted to be a writer & you did it. I find as a reader I am learning more about the 'business' of books all he time. It's rather fascinating.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Scarlett said...

Thanks, marybelle. I am always learning more about the business of books too. It's a huge learning curve but very worthwhile. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to drop by and again to Laurie for being kind enough to host me!

Laurie said...

I really appreciate all the great comments, and Scarlett, THANK YOU so much for being so responsive with all your replies! You're amazing! It truly has been an honor hosting you, and I am so glad I was given the opportunity to do so.

Andrea said...

This sound like my type of book. It's going on my TBR list.

lillieblue613(at)gmail(dot)com

DANIELA said...

Hi Laurie and Scarlett
Thanks for the interview.

I usually read paranormal romance, but this book sounds interesting.

ClaudiaGC said...

Loved the excerpt!

claudigc at msn dot com

Krista said...

Kudos to you for living your childhood dream! I agree with you- I think the characters make the story. They must be authentic. Sometimes, characters seem "phony" to me.

kristakimmel at gmail dot com

Chelsea B. said...

I enjoyed this interview! Good luck on your future writings, Scarlett!!

justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

geschumann said...

I'm a writer also, only fairly recently actually wanted to. Anyway, I live in TX & absolutely love chips & salsa, even though growing up I never had a spicy food in my life. I would love to read the book. Thanks! Gloria

geschumann at live dot com

Julie said...

What a great interview and excerpt! I agree completely that without well written and developed characters, the plot won't go anywhere. Thanks for a chance to win a gift card, too :)
jwitt33 at live dot com

rhonda1111 said...

so why cant be together? is one married? rlrlaney@yahoo.com

Diane D - Florida said...

Thank you for such an enjoyable interview and for giving us all a chance to read an excerpt of " A Mad Passion".

This excerpt is simply awesome. I absolutely adore and love a good love story. I'm literally chomping at the bit to read this story as it contains everything that I love, hot and spicy scenes, passion, intrigue and romance. I love being carried away to another time and place where people lived, loved, and were finding their way to each other.

I adore Historical Romance with a passion. I'm always grateful for being so delightfully entertained whilst being enriched and enlightened at the same time.

You're a new Author to me and, I would love to read this book.

Congratulations on your new release and, for this awesome opportunity.

dpd333 (AT) aol (DOT) com