Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Interview With Ashley Christman

Author of The Witching Hour, from Lyrical Press, an urban fantasy story; and Requiem, from Noble Publishing, an erotic romance. Nightingale, Book 1 in the Nocturne series will be released by Lyrical Press in September 2011.

As a child, Ashley M. Christman spent many hours in imaginary worlds, exploring the depths of mythology and immersing herself in a breadth of classics. After spending so much time reading, she decided to try her hand at writing.

An avid fan of film noir, she combines fantasy, noir style heroes and heroines, and the paranormal in a modern day setting in such a way that hopefully would make even Bogie proud.

When not writing, she can be found in the wilds of Minnesota enjoying great cuisine, avoiding the gym, and being walked by the dog with her partner, Tom.



INTERVIEW

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

I dream of traveling to Paris and sitting in an artsy café with the bossa nova playing in the background or even some unknown French singer, as I write on my netbook.


Does travel play in the writing of your books? 

Travel does play apart in my writing because travel influences me. I learn about new culture and locales, I especially love learning about local history and folktales (ghost stories included). When I’m traveling, I’m collecting memories and characters that I can write into my stories.
Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?   
My great-aunt was the first person to realize I might be pretty good at this writing thing. She encouraged me to write what I felt, even if I only wanted to escape. I appreciate that. To this day there is nothing I can do to repay her for encouraging my voice.

What was your first sale as an author?
 
My first sale was my novella, The Witching Hour. It took quite a lot of persistence to make that sale.


When in the day/night do you write? How long per day? 

I write mostly at night and typically spend three to four hours. Sometimes I spend as much as eight hours writing.



What books have most influenced your life?  

Brave New World by Adolus Huxley is the most influential book in my life. I reread it from time to time, but that book changed the way I saw the world and opened up my teenage mind to the dangers of conformity and not thinking for yourself. I idolized the character of John Savage for being a free thinker and empathized with him over his subsequent demise.



If you were to write a series of novels, what would it be about?  

I’m currently writing a series (the Nocturne Series). The first book, Nightingale will be out this fall. It’s about a vampire-sidhe hybrid who has a PhD. and has to juggle research, helping the FBI, and the very messy court politics of two different worlds.



Beatles or Monkees? Why?  

The Beatles because John and Paul are hot and they can play their own instruments.


Do your friends think you are an introvert or an extrovert? Why?  

My friends definitely know that I’m an introvert/hermit. They expect me to opt to stay home unless there is something interesting enough to coax me from my cave.


Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?
 
I’m a night person. I know this because I was one of the freaks that enjoyed working the overnight shift. Plus, my brain doesn’t seem to like to turn on before noon.


Where are your fans most likely to find you hanging out?  

The library or the local community theater. I think I spend a good portion of my time in those two places. If the weather is good, they can find me lurking in graveyards at midnight with an EMF meter and red light in hand.


Do you have a favorite quote or saying?  

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. –Somerset.


Do you have a Website or Blog?
 
I have a website www.ashleymchristman.com, my blog is also there. I should warn you it’s updated sporadically. For more up to date info it’s better to follow me on Twitter or Facebook.
 
Ashley M. Christman
Email: Ashley@AshleyMChristman.com







1 comment:

Sonya Clark said...

Hi Ashley! Great interview!

As someone who got to read Nightingale while it was a work in progress I can say - it's going to be a great book. Team Constantine!

:)