Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Gift of Illusion by Richard Brown-Review & Interview: Bewitching Tour Stop

Title: The Gift of Illusion
Author: Richard Brown
Paperback: 258 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace (May 16, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1461147328
ISBN-13: 978-1461147329

Book Description:
Something wicked has returned to Elmwood, and it longs to continue the study it began over a century ago. It's looking for volunteers, but few seem worthy of the gift. Isaac Winters might be the one. He's a detective with a damaged past, and something to prove. Still haunted by his wife's murder sixteen years earlier, Isaac has thought more and more about turning in his badge. Over the years, he's seen the worst mankind has to offer. Until now. A strange fire has consumed the life of a young girl. But she won't be the last. There are no witnesses and no evidence except a small stone figurine, a gateway to the past. Accompanied by a partner with questionable experience, Isaac must discover and defeat this faceless villain before it takes from him the greatest reminder of his dead wife. Their daughter.

Buy Links:


5 Stars

I started reading this book then literally could not put it down.  The characters were drawn well and with outstanding emotional depth.  The story was thrilling from start to finish.  The action was intense – the inexplicable deaths, mysterious.  At first, there were a few rather disconcerting changes in POV, but, honestly, I got so caught up in the characters and the story, that I became almost totally oblivious to any flaws after just a few pages.  The author has an exceptionally engaging way of conveying his thoughts through the characters that I found quite compelling and exhilarating.

There were plenty of twists and curve balls throughout. I was kept guessing the entire ride.  This supernatural thriller is an impressive debut that explores a wide range of human emotions and gives an up-close and personal view of evil that will haunt your dreams. Lucius has surely forsaken any chance of redemption – if anyone holds the title “evil incarnate” it would have to be him. Isaac Winters, the lead detective, is unwavering in his determination to follow the investigation, to see behind the illusion, and to protect those for whom he feels responsible.  He is a man driven to unveil the truth at any cost and to accept nothing less than success.

Reviewed by Laurie-J

How did you start your writing career? 
I first remember writing when I was around ten. For the longest time I wanted to be a songwriter, so I started writing lyrics. By the time I reached high school, the lyrics had become poems. I would often sit in class and write poetry when I was supposed to be working on an assignment, which is probably the reason I didn't graduate at the top of my class and didn't go on to college. I wrote maybe a half dozen short stories before starting on my first novel, The Gift of Illusion.  In the end it took me three years to write, a few more to edit, and a few more to finally publish.
When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
I used to write exclusively at night, starting at around nine and ending at two or three in the morning.  These days I'm trying to do the opposite and work during the day.  The amount of hours I put in all depends on how easy or hard the story is flowing out of me on that particular day.  It could range from a couple of hours to seven or eight.
What is the hardest part of writing your books?
Sitting down in the chair and doing it.  There are so many distractions that want to grab your attention.  It takes a lot of willpower sometimes to say no.
What do you think makes a good story? 
Good characters.  To me that is the most important aspect of any story.  If I can't make some kind of emotional connection to the characters, love them or hate them, then who cares what the plot is about.  The plot is only there to give them something to do.  I think a good writer can take a simple idea and transform it into something big and special with the use of interesting characters.
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A number of things depending on the year.  A few I remember were a poet, actor, comedian, musician, film director.  Almost anything that allowed me to be creative.
What are your favorite TV shows? 
Love anything with Gordon Ramsey.  Plus, House.  The Walking Dead.  South Park.  I also watch a lot of cable news, which is generally more funny and idiotic than anything on Comedy Central.
What songs are most played on your IPod? 
I shuffle a lot.  But a few of my favorite groups that get a lot of play are Pink Floyd, Tool, Alice in Chains, The Doors, and John Mayer.  Just kidding about that last one.
Do you have a Website or Blog? 
Sure do.  The blog is on my website.  The newest post is about getting a free copy of my poetry book, The Rebirth.
Thanks so much for being here today and sharing a little bit of your creative process with us.  I wish you all the very best and I am certainly looking forward to reading your next novel! 

About the Author

Richard is not a vampire, yet.                            

While he awaits immortality, Richard spends much of his time banging his head on the keyboard trying to make sentences out of words. 

Since the age of ten, he's written dozens of short stories, over a hundred poems, and two novels, the first -- The Gift of Illusion -- was released May, 17 2011. 

He also enjoys spending time with his daughter, girlfriend, three dogs, watching mixed martial arts, singing karaoke, debating politics,
and of course dressing up for photo shoots with a guitar he never really learned to play (ahem).

  Website   |  Facebook

Next Tour Stops

August 18 - Interview - Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews
August 18 - Review and Giveaway - Romancing The Book
August 19 - Review - Braintasia Books
August 19 - Interview and Giveaway - Frequent Reader, Infrequent Blogger

Authors - Book Tours can give your book additional exposure and help you reach new readers.  There are several different plans from which to choose.  There are options available that are ideal for modest budgets.  To find out more, click the image.

Bloggers -  Find out how you can become a Tour Host. To find out more details, click the image.

Disclaimer:  I received a free copy of this book from the author in return for a review.  I have not received any monetary compensation in return for my honest review, whether positive or negative. Promotional banners and information was provided through Bewitching Book Tours. I am an authorized Tour Host.

1 comment:

Karen C said...

I've read The Gift of Illusion, too, and I totally agree with your review. I was immediately hooked and read in one sitting; an excellent read!!!