Sunday, July 24, 2011

Nobility Ranch by Cynthia Sterling

Nobility Ranch (Sterling, Cynthia. Titled Texans.)
My rating: 4.25 of 5 stars

I quite enjoyed this romantic adventure set in the Texas Panhandle of 1882. When Cecily Thorndale’s reluctant fiancé shows no inclination of returning to England, she follows him to Texas. Cecily steps off the train in Fairweather, Texas, and is unceremoniously hauled off to jail by the stiff-necked sheriff, along with her maid and three soiled doves whom she had innocently befriended during the long train ride.

I was caught up in the story immediately, never expecting that both Cecily and Charles would worm their way into my heart to the extent they did. Cecily surprised me; determined to get her man, resourceful, intelligent, kind-hearted – she is a delightfully charming character. Charles, too, came across as knowledgeable, generous, and masculine even though he is bull-headed in his desire to avoid what he sees as a life of boredom and discontent that he believes awaits him if he returns to England. It was often quite funny watching him squirm on the end of Cecily’s patiently baited hook as the story played out.

The secondary characters also enlivened this story. They were credible, and all seemed to perform their roles exceptionally well. The sense of time and place was well-executed, and I felt as if I had stepped back in time. I never expected that a story about two upper-crust English gentry transplanted to the rough Texan frontier would be as appealing and captivating as this unusual story turned out to be for me. If you enjoy western adventure with sweet romance, you should get this book.



Laurie-J
Reviewer for Night Owl Review









View all my reviews

4 comments:

Donna said...

Great review. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I just posted your review to My Life. One Story at a Time. on Face book and I also see that you reviewed Treasure Me. I'm heading there next. I loved the book and working with Christine on the giveaway. Isn't she great! Donna

Doreen McGettigan said...

I have enjoyed reading your reviews and now just what I need another pile TBR.

http://www.doreenmcgettigan

Laurie said...

Hey Donna & Doreen!! I's always a pleasure to see you Donna and Doreen I am very happy you stopped and commented also. I definitely hear what you are saying about your TBR...mine is so daunting, that I swear I will not add another book until it is whittled down some. But then I read some super review about a new (to me) book and out the window flies my resolution. LOL

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

The cover made me giggle a bit. This sounds fab-tastic. Thanks for the great review. If I can find it, I will read it :)