Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Interview with Sherry Soule - Beautifully Broken: Bewitching Tour Stop

Hello! Today I am thrilled to have as my guest Sherry Soule who is touring her new book, Beautifully Broken. So, I hope you will enjoy this post where you can find out more about Sherry and her books. Read on for a blurb, excerpt and Interview.  As a special bonus, Sherry will give one lucky commenter  a digital copy of Thirsty. You can also read a short excerpt to whet your whistle.

Thirteenth Daughter. Heritage Witch. Demon Slayer.

They say every town has its secrets, but that doesn’t even begin to describe Whispering Pines. The townsfolk are a superstitious lot and the mystical disappearance of a local teen has everyone murmuring about a centuries old witch’s curse.
Sixteen-year-old Shiloh Ravenwolf is a heritage witch from the Broussard family, a family both destined and cursed. When she takes a summer job at Ravenhurst Manor, she discovers a ghost with an agenda. That’s where she meets the new town hottie, Trent Donovan, and immediately becomes spellbound by his charms. Yet she is determined to discover the connection between them.
Finally, Shiloh's met someone who is supercute and totally into her, but Trent may be the next victim on the supernatural hit list. And Shiloh is the only person with the power to save him. Complicated much?
It sucks to have a destiny, especially since Shiloh would rather spend her summer being a normal girl who worries about clothes and boys, not the supernatural. But she’s never been normal, and the stranger things become the more her own magical senses awaken.
With cryptic messages from a pesky wraith, she will begin to understand the mysterious significance of the strange mark branded on her wrist and decide how much she's willing to sacrifice to protect the other teenagers in town.
Unfortunately, for Shiloh, not all ghosts want help crossing over. Some want vengeance.

Giveaway Details

Sherry is giving away one digital copy of
Beautifully Broken
To one Lucky Reader

To win: Just leave a comment.  Be sure to include your email addy if it is not shown on your profile. Tweet about this contest for a 2nd chance to win. Mention the tweet URL in your comment or in a 2nd comment.  You do not have to be a follower to enter. Winner's format choice - Kindle or Nook
This contest will end at 11:59 PM CST on July 30th.

The randomly selected winner this time is Ruby95660

Excerpt From Beautifully Broken
For as long as I could remember, I’d heard whispers in the shadows. Dark, twisting shapes that chilled my blood. Slithering through night, the images flickered, green skin, crimson eyes, sharp claws illuminated even in the dark. Sunlight meant the difference between life and death.
During the day I normally felt safe, with the heat of the sun brushing my skin, so that morning, when the shadows showed up in my bedroom, I’d barely recognized their eerie whispering until it grew louder. Then the desk lamp flickered, startling me even more. I stared at the last line I’d typed on my essay for English class, my hand hovering over the keyboard.
Homework can wait.
I raised my head and closed the laptop. Normally I don’t complain about getting a break from my studies, but when a supernatural hush came over the room, my heart hammered. A hint of chilling menace climbed up my spine. Finishing my homework was the last thing on my mind.
I uncrossed my legs and then jumped off the bed, nearly tripping over my long nightgown. I scanned the dark bends and edges of the room. The swirling azure colors of the witch ball suspended over my bed rotated in a slow circle. I got down on my hands and knees to check under the bed. Nothing. The closet door stood open a crack. I wavered, shoulders hitching.
My gut clenched. My skin prickled. I dragged my feet over to the closet. I pushed the door wider with my bare foot. On tiptoes, I leaned over the threshold and stretched to grasp the brass chain, then gave it a yank. Light bled across dirty laundry, illuminating metal hangers scattered on the floor. Dusty board games littered the shelf and haphazardly hung clothes swayed on the bar. My fuzzy pink bunny slippers stared at me with glassy button eyes. Nothing unusual.
So why am I so freaked?
The feeling, indistinct but ominous, lingered like the remnants of a bad dream. I couldn’t isolate the source. But something felt wrong.
The closet light and lamp suddenly went out. As I turned around, my peripheral vision caught a maelstrom of shadows. I saw things in it. Something snaked past my leg. Writhed.
Stupid, stupid, stupid! Forgot to keep my telepathic shield up. Again.
Shadows murmured in an ancient language and covered the crème carpet like an opaque stain. The creatures fed off my fear, doled out like too much bitter candy. Within the inky blobs were gleaming eyes. Red orbs, open and staring. Spiny reptilian fingers reached to grab my ankles. Instinct jerked me from their grasp. Anthracite things with darkling eyes glared back at me.
Trembles traveled from my legs and vibrated up my neck. Dread choked me like a noose, strangling me from the inside. Bile rose in my throat. I struggled to calm myself; all I had to do was run from the room. Instead I froze, my back flat against the wobbling closet door. My eyes caught something else. An entity too dense and vertical to be serpentine detached itself from the shadows. Bigger. Darker. Malevolent.
The amorphous darkness was deep and vast, and inside the shadow a terrible yawning hunger rose in front of my wide eyes. The shadow hung heavy, like a nimbus of crude oil, pulsating and swirling until it nearly touched the ceiling. It morphed, muscles expanding over bones, skin convulsing, a resurrection of shiny obsidian, smooth and razor-sharp, created from darkness and shadow. It throbbed, altered, trickled into limbs and flesh and...
Oh, God, it’s almost touching me!


What first got you interested in writing? What has kept you doing it?

I’ve had an obsession with the written word since I held my first book in my hands at age seven. I love writing and always have. I can’t imagine not writing…

Do you have the support of your family and friends? Has that support always been there, or has it changed since being published?

Yes, they are all super supportive about my writing. They all wish me much success.

What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk? Strangest habit? Is there anything you have to do before you start writing?

Well, I do like to submerge myself in whatever genre I’m writing. Like a method actor. For instance, when I’m writing about vampires, I only read that genre and watch movies about vamps.

What advice would you give to a new writer?

I have blog devoted to writers: “Dark Angel Writing Tools” that has tons of advice for writers at any stage in their career, agent and author interviews, and insider publishing secrets. http://www.darkangelwritingtools.com/

What has been the biggest challenge of your career so far?

I tried for over two years to find an agent without any luck. I realize it is a tough business and very subjective. So, I finally decided to submit to indie publishers.

Has a reader ever complimented you on your writing? What was the best thing you ever heard?

Sure, once a reader said they read my book in three days because they couldn’t put it down.

What are you working on now? Could you give us a little taste?

I’m working on several projects. The sequel, Beautifully Haunted, where Shiloh continues her magick lessons and demon slaying. And an adult paranormal romance.

The sequel to BB starts off exactly where the first book ends. Yes, folks, be prepared for a bittersweet ending.

Have you ever had an experience with the supernatural? If so, how has it affected your life? Your writing?

Actually, I think the apartment I lived in about eight years was haunted. Things would be moved around and I heard weird noise. Kinda freaky. But I definitely believe in the supernatural and ghosts and love hearing about other people’s experiences. They give me great ideas for future stories.

How can people find out more about you?                 

Here’s where you can find me:
(Newly launched!) Official website: http://sherrysoule.com/
Book Trailer/YouTube: http://youtu.be/5uqVXKygvUs

Thank you so much, Sherry, for stopping by here today and taking time to chat a bit.

For our readers, if you are following along with Sherry on this tour, the next several stops are shown below:

July 19  Interview at Laurie’s Thoughts and Reviews

July 20 guest post/giveaway at All Things Books.

July 21 Guest Post and review

July 22 Review Freda's Voice

See the Full Tour Schedule

Be sure to visit all the stops for chances to win Sherry's books and learn all about the paranormal YA book, Beautifully Broken.

Authors - Book Tours can give your book additional exposure and help you reach new readers.  There are several different plans from which to choose.  There are options available that are ideal for modest budgets.  To find out more, click the image.

Bloggers -  Find out how you can become a Tour Host. To find out more details, click the image.

 Promotional banners and information was provided through Bewitching Book Tours. I am an authorized Tour Host.


Sherry Soule said...

Thanks for having me as a guest! I hope your followers enjoyed the post and check out my debut novel, Beautifully Broken.



Krystal said...

I would love to win this novel!!! edysicecreamlover18@gmailDOTcom For my sentence: The thirsty wildebeest came to a river for a refreshing drink and saw a broken log that he could play with later on. <-creative *rolls eyes*...sorry!

Krystal said...

tweeted http://twitter.com/#!/Icecream1891/status/93545767473647616

Pinky said...


I think after reading Broken I would be left "thirsty and broken". I would love to win a copy!



ruby95660 said...

Great interview! And I loved the excerpt from Beautifully Broken! I can't wait to read it!!!


ruby95660 said...

I tweeted!!



Tracy Smith said...

Would love to win a copy of this. Great interview too!

countrysunset40 (at) aol dot com

Have a really wonderful day!

Jessie said...

I'd like to enter for this one - great interview!

Julie S said...

Thanks for the giveaway. This book sounds really interesting. I'd love to read it.

Laurie said...

The Winner has been Selected.....
Congratulations, Ruby95660!!