Thursday, July 7, 2011

Darkside Of The Moon by Terri Lynn Main

My rating: 4.25 of 5 stars

I found this to be a wholly enjoyable Science Fiction mystery. Carolyn Masters, ex-FBI profiler and current University instructor, is recruited to assist Mike Cheravik in an uncommon murder investigation. Carolyn and Mike are both haunted by their pasts, but other than a shared determination to catch the killer, seem to have little else in common. This book abounds with gadgetry and processes that the author envisions for our future about ninety years hence. For example, there will be small food storage containers (Tupperware comes to mind) that self-refrigerate – how cool is that? Also, the author has created delightful and meaningful slang expressions. For example, on the moon someone from earth may be called a leadbottom or perhaps bouncer. There are many more such terms, but you should discover them for yourself.

This novel is exceptionally well-edited (I noted only a single sentence that seemed to be missing a small word), the story is complex without being overly so, and the characters were brought forth in exceptional detail from the recesses of the author’s seemingly limitless imagination. For the most part, the structure was tight, though I did feel it unraveled just a bit in a few isolated places. I had fun while reading this book, there was plenty of science to go along with the fiction, but it was also surprisingly free of techno-babble – which I seriously appreciated. I look forward to reading more books from this author.

Reviewer for Night Owl Reviews

View all my reviews


Aubrie said...

I love the idea of the "dark side of the moon"

Great review and thanks for stopping by my blog!

theJeepDiva said...

I love sci fi, hate it when I get lost due to all the "techno babble." Great review, thanks for sharing!

mike draper said...

Hi Laurie;
I enjoy this review. I haven't been that much of a fan of science fiction but am moving toward that direction.
Thanks for this review.