Friday, July 22, 2011

Breakout (A Blood Hunter Novel) by Nina Croft-Review: Bewitching Tour Stop


Thank you so much for your visit today as I host Nina Croft as she tours her new book Breakout.  Breakout is a novella, and is the introductory book in her new Blood Hunter series. I am thrilled to host a Guest Post courtesy of Nina Croft. Also,  I  just read the book a few days ago, and have posted my review here for you, as well.  So scroll on down; I hope you enjoy this post!


GUEST POST

Vampires and Werewolves

I’ve been working on book 2 of my Blood Hunter series lately, and it’s got me thinking about  the relative merits of those two paranormal favorites—vampires and werewolves. At least they’re my favorites.

The Blood Hunter series follows the escapades of the crew of the space cruiser, El Cazado (El Cazador de la Sangre or The Blood Hunter), but at the same time each book is a standalone romance involving one member of the crew.

In book 1, Break Out, the hero is Ricardo Sanchez, owner and pilot of El Cazador. Rico is also a very old vampire, born on Earth in the Middle Ages, and probably my favorite hero yet. I’ve always loved vampires, I’m a sucker for a bad boy, and for me, Vampires are the ultimate bad boys—there’s always a little bit of evil lurking inside them.

In book 2, Deadly Pursuit, the hero is Jonathon Decker, who just happens to be a werewolf. I’m quite fond of werewolves as well, and Jon is a particularly fine specimen.

Obviously, there are loads of differences between vampires and werewolves – one’s dead and the other alive, werewolves are way more hairy, and a lot more hot blooded, vamps drink blood, weres like to sink their teeth into a nice bit of….

But for me, the biggest difference between vampires and werewolves is that vampires are loners, and werewolves are pack animals, and that completely changes the way they react to different situations.

Rico is a loner. Or at least he is at the start of the book, but Rico is also very old, and he’s learned that in order to survive you need to break the rules now and then. So he’s willing to break the loner rule just a little bit if the right incentive comes along. In Break Out, that incentive comes in the form of beautiful Skylar Rossaria, who’s about to make Rico an offer he can’t refuse.

Werewolves on the other hand are pack animals. They might have an aggressive streak, and love to fight, but they are not fundamentally evil (unless of course they were evil before they were changed). An alpha werewolf has to be strong, and a brilliant fighter, but his biggest motivation is protecting his pack (unlike a vampire whose biggest motivation is protecting himself).

Jon is an alpha werewolf who has lost his pack and with it, his faith in his ability to protect. Consequently, he’s sworn he’ll never be responsible for anyone again, and he’s become a loner.

It’s totally screwing him up, though he’s managing to delude himself that he’s not doing too badly—until he meets the heroine, Alex.  Alex is about to make him an offer, but unlike Rico, Jon has no problems refusing. For a little while, anyway.

So what do you think is the biggest difference between a werewolf and a vampire? And which would you rather snuggle up to? Comment for a chance to win a digital copy of Break Out. This giveaway opportunity is open INTERNATIONALLY and ends July 30th 11:59PM CST.

CONTEST IS CLOSED
Julie S is the winning commenter




Product Description
The year is 3048, Earth is no longer habitable, and man has fled to the stars where they’ve discovered the secret of immortality—Meridian. Unfortunately, the radioactive mineral is exorbitantly expensive and only available to a select few. A new class comprised of the super rich and immortal soon evolves. The Collective, as they’re called, rule the universe.

Two-thousand-year-old Ricardo Sanchez, vampire and rogue pilot of the space cruiser, El Cazador, can’t resist two things: gorgeous women and impossible jobs. When beautiful Skylar Rossaria approaches him to break a prisoner out of the Collective’s maximum security prison on Trakis One, Rico jumps at the chance. Being hunted by the Collective has never been so dangerous–or so fun! 

MY REVIEW 4 Stars

This novella was a fast, fun read for me. It starts off strong and keeps getting better.  I loved the action scenes and the dialogues with the secondary characters.  This crew truly shines as far as I am concerned, each had distinctive personalities and quirks, and I couldn’t help but love them – Tannis and Daisy, especially.  Skylar, also, (a devious, conniving, kick-ass liar) is remarkably easy to like and empathize with.  I would have preferred her to have given Rico more of a chase before bedding down with him.

As much as I wanted to connect with Rico, he always felt a little bit distant or arrogant to me. Tannis, despite her somewhat scaly skin, my favorite character, could usually manage to bring his highfalutin majesty down a peg or two, and I loved and admired her for that innate ability. Rico certainly chose wisely when he made her captain of his vessel.

This story is a wonderfully unique blend of science fiction, fantasy, adventure, and romance. There were heaping doses of humor scattered throughout. This levity helped keep the tone from becoming too dark; it was well-conceived and unequivocally added to my overall enjoyment. The sexual tension between Skylar and Rico needed a little more oomph or pizzazz, but the story fluidity and conversations made this an uncommonly good adventure tale.

Reviewed by Laurie-J

This review has also been posted on the following sites:

Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  GoodReads  |  Shelfari  |  LibraryThing








Authors - Book Tours can give your book additional exposure and help you reach new readers.  There are several different plans from which to choose.  There are options available that are ideal for modest budgets.  To find out more, click the image.

Bloggers -  Find out how you can become a Tour Host. To find out more details, click the image.





Disclaimer:  I purchased a copy of this book from Amazon for my own reading pleasure.  I have not received any monetary compensation in return for my honest review, whether positive or negative. Promotional banners and information was provided through Bewitching Book Tours and Entangled Publishing. I am an authorized Tour Host.

14 comments:

Clarissa Yip said...

Hmmmm...I agree with you on how vampires are loners and werewolves are pack animals. The only thing I can think of is one has more hair than the other. lol. Great post!

rosalielario.com said...

I definitely agree that the biggest difference between vamps and werewolves is the social structure. I have to say I've got a think for heroes who have to be brilliant strategizers as well as good fighters, so I'm all about the werewolf. All the hair is a bit of a turnoff, though. :-)

Laurie said...

A big difference is that Vampires (in most books) are dead/undead and don't have beating hearts....I'd much rather cuddle with a furball. Besides, usually he'll only go all hairy during the full moon.

Nina Croft said...

Definitely hairier Clarissa - well at certain times of the month anyway.

Yes Rosalie - I think it makes them more complex when they have to think about more than themselves and that makes them more interesting characters.

Nina Croft said...

Hi Laurie, thanks for having me here! And hopefully you're going to find Jon, the hero of book 2, much more cuddly than Rico!

Lucianne Rivers said...

Werewolf, for sure. They have a good sense of smell and instinct. And they are warm-blooded. Yum. Hairy...but, yum.

Nina Croft said...

Nothing wrong with hairy!

Beverly said...

Vamps or weres? Tough call. Both have so many great features. I tend to lean toward the weres! Warm is so nice!


I loved Breakout! Participated in the tour as well - I see that we are both working on some of the same tours. Can't wait to see what you think too.

DANIELA said...

Hi
I guess that there are many differences, one being that weres are alive and vamps are almost always dead or undead.
I love vamps, but I wouldn't snuggling up to a Were... I guess both have their perks.

Daniela.
dany7578@hotmail.com

Nina Croft said...

Hi Beverly - thanks for participating in the tour (it's my first so it's lovely to see people popping up)Yes, warm is nice, but I have to admit I've always leaned towards vamps. I think it's the bad boy thing - my were heroes are always much nicer people than my vamps!

Hi Daniela - one of each then!

donnas said...

Great post. Sounds like a really good book.

WW are definitely warmer to cuddle up to but vamps are less messy (hairy)

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Julie S said...

I think snuggling up to a warm-blooded were would be much more comfortable and natural-feeling. The biggest difference has to be that - the cold versus warm and human-like feel to touch them.
juliecookies(at)gmail.com

ruby95660 said...

Hmm.. vampire or werewolf? That's a tough question. While its just about always true that weres are the nice warm ones and vamps are almost always cold and dead/undead, I think I'd still prefer the vampire. I'm not exactly sure why though. Maybe its the fact that they basically fall into the 'bad boy' category and I love me some bad boys!

Breakout sounds really interesting and I can't wait to read it!

ruby95660@yahoo.com

Laurie said...

The winner Has been chosen
Drumroll Please ----------
Julie S is the lucky commenter.
Thank you all for joining in and I hope to see everyone again real soon.